Wasting Customer Disk Space

boleyd

I have 16 routes that I want to delete but am unable to do so. They are the traditional routes that N3V has placed on my system for a purpose that is a mystery to me. I do not want them, and I have no interest in them. They are simply clutter and a use of MY disk space.

The strategy seems to be some perverted marketing philosophy that if the same stuff is shown day-after-day the customer might buy one or more of the "force-fed" items. Similar to telling a lie so many times that it is eventually believed as the truth.:eek:

seems to me you might want to use some of the assets from the built-in routes.i have used assets from buit-in routes plenty of times for personal use. obviously if you are building a payware route you can't. have you installed some of the latest titles for pc? some of them take up 100gb for one game. i would say it's normal what N3V is doing. these days on amazon you can get a 500gb ssd for 55.00 bucks. my trainz 19 folder is 224gb, but i have installed a ton from the download station and own alot of third party add-ons.

I have 16 routes that I want to delete but am unable to do so. They are the traditional routes that N3V has placed on my system for a purpose that is a mystery to me. I do not want them, and I have no interest in them. They are simply clutter and a use of MY disk space.

The strategy seems to be some perverted marketing philosophy that if the same stuff is shown day-after-day the customer might buy one or more of the "force-fed" items. Similar to telling a lie so many times that it is eventually believed as the truth.:eek:

I have never used a built-in route since starting Trainz in 2004
I would love to be able to delete them or have the option or not installing them in the first place
All mine are disabled at the moment

Hi

A clean install of TRS19 only contains the Content Samples and Kickstarter County routes. However as has been pointed out if you don't install the others you will be missing a lot of content.

Regards

Brian

Even if you could delete those built-in routes, your dick space would not be all that much improved, you would never even notice the difference

Everything I learned, I learned by studying, pulling, tugging apart, and experimenting on other peoples built-in routes

If your disc space is that used up ... perhaps you need a new bigger disc, or a better PC

Last edited:
Can't blame N3V, they didn't make anyone buy TRS19, however they wouldn't sell many, if any copies without some routes to go with it and being a multinational customer base, that will inevitably include stuff some of us are not interested in, we might however use assets from these routes in our own.
Most of it is in the packages folder anyway, don't want it then delete it, run a DBR and don't ever again click download all, hardly rocket science. Just don't complain or blame N3V if you screw up your own routes ;o)

Most of it is in the packages folder anyway, don't want it then delete it, run a DBR and don't ever again click download all, hardly rocket science.

Built-in items can't be deleted. We now also have Base, which are supposed to be critical to the system, but actually includes things like commodities, drivers and ground textures. There is no reason for making most of this stuff built-in: most of it ought to be optional, deletable, editable and replaceable.

If you remove or in my case rename the packages folder and local and original, you get a clean install with only the following routes sessions and tutorials, I removed Local and Original to create a clean install.

As Clam points out, there is no requirement to install all the content, and if you do and want to remove it, you can delete the packages and run a db repair.

Also, unless your harddrive is full, there is no penalty for filling it up. But if you are concerned about disk space, there are programs that help you identify what is using up all the space.

With HD capacity in the Gb's it's not the installed routes that are the problem which, agreeing with others, are an essential source of assets and resources for other route builders. The biggest bane Trainz imposes on HD space is the default setting of 7 backups of user content which will rapidly fill your HD. If you haven't already done so this needs to be set to 1 or even 0 and would repeat this is something that should be addressed in the core programme, i.e. reducing the number of backups to a smaller amount.

With HD capacity in the Gb's it's not the installed routes that are the problem which, agreeing with others, are an essential source of assets and resources for other route builders. The biggest bane Trainz imposes on HD space is the default setting of 7 backups of user content which will rapidly fill your HD. If you haven't already done so this needs to be set to 1 or even 0 and would repeat this is something that should be addressed in the core programme, i.e. reducing the number of backups to a smaller amount.

Yes agreed, first thing I do on a new install is set the backups to 1, not that I'm short of space just good housekeeping.

This is one of the main reasons why I gave up with Trainz. This is a big issue for us Mac users who unlike the PC version, you can’t upgrade your disk space at all and this can cause a huge issue. You are either forced to deleting stuff you don’t want to delete or you are force to buy a new IMac all together in order to get more Disk Space. Also The ECML British Built In route for TANE took up the most room with a lot of built in content I didn’t need but I couldn’t delete it because it was built in.

This is a big issue for us Mac users who unlike the PC version,

And here is your sign.

So, we are now blaming the product for being too big...

When you are running a Mac.. Then to proceed to complain you can't upgrade your Storage. Which in it self is false, as most Mac's storage can be upgraded, only a half dozen or so models/variants cannot. Some are easier than others, others may require the screen taken off.

Games are not getting smaller. This isn't 2004 anymore with 1MB textures. We now got 4K Textures and more poly models. Game sizes and texture sizes are only getting bigger. Now is a good time to upgrade storage. SSD's are dirt cheap these days, and spinning HDD are even cheaper.

But let's not sit here and put the blame game on Trainz being too big, when you are running a Mac in 2019 for games, and then complain its Trainz fault, when you running hardware that is meant to steal your money...

Hint: Get a PC.

This is one of the main reasons why I gave up with Trainz. This is a big issue for us Mac users who unlike the PC version, you can’t upgrade your disk space at all and this can cause a huge issue. You are either forced to deleting stuff you don’t want to delete or you are force to buy a new IMac all together in order to get more Disk Space. Also The ECML British Built In route for TANE took up the most room with a lot of built in content I didn’t need but I couldn’t delete it because it was built in.
Well, you can uninstall the built-ins, if you know the folder ID for each built-in :p

In fact, here is the list the standard edition contains:
STANDARD / DELUXE / COLLECTION:
sc297 = ECML
sc276 = C&O Hinton Division
sc236 = Healesville - 1913-1920
sc025 = Kickstarter County

DELUXE / COLLECTION:
sc237 = Warwick - Wallangarra
sc274 = Milwaukee Road Avery-Drexel
sc284 = Season Town Northern RR
sc298 = The Bidye Traction Railroad - Model Trainz

Delete all containing scXXX as part of the name, and then do a database update. Trainz will remove the listing of the built-in content you deleted and you'll never have that again. However, it might post some updating issues as it does scan the contents, so keep this in mind if you are removing the built-ins.

The folders that I didn't listed are the core folders, and deleting those can basically destroy the game completely, so you'll still have some of the built-in content, just not all of it.
(As a hidden fact, if you delete all of the built-in content I listed, you can basically have a light version of TANE :D )

As for TRS2019, you can do the same thing, but again, its not supported, and for every update, you'll have to restore the content again, or reinstall Trainz and repeat the process of removing content again.

Cheers

Can't upgrade a Mac? You'll find a 2018 SSD in my 2013 iMac. It is not that difficult to do. But frankly, since I built a gaming PC just for Trainz (and to replace my OSX Virtual Machine with 5-6 apps) I find it almost impossible to "Trainz" on my iMac after running it with a decent graphics card and 1TB SSD. It is painfully awkward and slow.

I am a HARD CORE Mac user (since before their introduction) and I love OSX for everything else but we have to admit that Trainz (TRS19) is meant to be run on Windows gaming machines. That is just fact. You can have a lot of fun with Trainz on a Mac but you have run on lowest settings and hand pick appropriate routes.

Well, you can uninstall the built-ins, if you know the folder ID for each built-in :p

In fact, here is the list the standard edition contains:
STANDARD / DELUXE / COLLECTION:
sc297 = ECML
sc276 = C&O Hinton Division
sc236 = Healesville - 1913-1920
sc025 = Kickstarter County

DELUXE / COLLECTION:
sc237 = Warwick - Wallangarra
sc274 = Milwaukee Road Avery-Drexel
sc284 = Season Town Northern RR
sc298 = The Bidye Traction Railroad - Model Trainz

Delete all containing scXXX as part of the name, and then do a database update. Trainz will remove the listing of the built-in content you deleted and you'll never have that again. However, it might post some updating issues as it does scan the contents, so keep this in mind if you are removing the built-ins.

The folders that I didn't listed are the core folders, and deleting those can basically destroy the game completely, so you'll still have some of the built-in content, just not all of it.
(As a hidden fact, if you delete all of the built-in content I listed, you can basically have a light version of TANE :D )

As for TRS2019, you can do the same thing, but again, its not supported, and for every update, you'll have to restore the content again, or reinstall Trainz and repeat the process of removing content again.

Cheers

Removing the route file (only) from T:ANE leaves behind the content, correct? Is there a way to do that? Looking at the ECML route in Content Manager, it appears to take up 700MB+ of space.

Thanks,
BMEC

Removing the route file (only) from T:ANE leaves behind the content, correct? Is there a way to do that? Looking at the ECML route in Content Manager, it appears to take up 700MB+ of space.

Thanks,
BMEC
No, deleting package files removes the entire route, sessions and assets. A DBR must be performed after deletion of package files.
Cheers
Graeme

Just noting that original post was April 2019. Most versions of '19 now have the Content Store which allow you to delete a route. (Content Store > Purchased > Uninstall)

I just noted that I had 59361 assets showing in Content Manager. I then deleted Settle and Carlisle (which I'll reinstall later). Assets went down to 58559. That's only 802 assets. I assume that a Content Store delete checks to see if asset is used elsewhere and if so it is not deleted. Else more than 802 assets would be deleted no doubt. But that's a guess. I've never gained a route with "missing assets" by deleting Routes this way.

Disk is your friend! The more assets the better, for Freeware and 3rd Party downloads you'll have far fewer "missing assets" if you load up and keep all. I have a 2TB SSD coming as we speak. The 2TB will replace a 1TB and the 1TB will replace a smaller C: drive.

Even two years ago (almost) when the original post was made, disk space cost peanuts. Many, many years ago that was not the case and back then the OP would have had a valid point, but not today.

Back