Internet cache - How much does it affect performance

Some while back (2 years or more) i was advised to clear my internet cache to alleviate a problem i had at the time, my understanding was that this cache should clear automatically. I am finding performance issues after I have been editing for a few hours and today I resaved a route under a different name for a test I wanted to do and then checked the internet cache. The route had just been saved and I had only been running the game for a few minutes, the cache stood at 580 items. Does anyone know how often the cache is supposed to clear and what effect it wil have on performance as it builds in size?

The internet cache, the one in Trainz that is, is for your stuff off the DLS. The program should clear it out each time you log in, and shouldn't affect performance of any local routes. You can check this by starting up TRS19.

At the Launcher, click on Clear logs
Then click show logs.

Leave the window open and then click on Content Manager.

You'll see the login process, with setting cookie and clearing cache. By clearing the log ahead of time, you'll have a fresh log to look at and you'll be able to scroll up to the top and read all the information. If the log is full from a previous session, the new stuff will not only be difficult to find, but also maybe flushed as the log scrolls up.

In the event that stuff doesn't clear, you can do that manually, but it doesn't seem to do much harm with it there. The only time this might affect performance is if your hard disk is really full. You might want to manually clear the cache and defrag your hard drive to ensure you're not defragging stale data, but in general there's no difference at least from what I've seen.

Thanks John...... My memory of when I had an issue some years ago is a bit spotty, but I do remember that clearing the cache did not have any adverse effects. My performance issue is intermitant I get stuttering (Quite badly) after i've been editing for a while and can't seem to pin down a reason, the internet cache was just grasping at straws..... still keep persevering
Keith

Thanks John...... My memory of when I had an issue some years ago is a bit spotty, but I do remember that clearing the cache did not have any adverse effects. My performance issue is intermitant I get stuttering (Quite badly) after i've been editing for a while and can't seem to pin down a reason, the internet cache was just grasping at straws..... still keep persevering
Keith

That issue seemed to affect TS12 more than anything so your memory is correct! :D TS12 used that awful validation method that went back to the My Trainz server (Planet Auran) and validated each and every asset. T:ANE and TRS19 do that as well, but not as bad. I recommend checking the log while editing. Sometimes when you start up, there is a validation check usually every 30-days and during this time there can be some studdering and poor performance, but nothing close to TS12.

One of the ways to get around this studdering is to defrag the hard disk where you keep your data. I do mine daily if I've been doing a lot of Trainzing, otherwise, I'll do it every few days. This of course doesn't apply to SSDs, but it sure works for regular hard disks.

Thanks John My program and database are both on an SSD so the defrag isn't realy an issue, I seem to get the stuttering when I have been editing for a few hours. Initially when I start working the game performs well then after a few hours it seem to get tired and starts stuttering. My route does have a lot of Trees on it and I'm now looking to thin these out in an effeort to try and improve things. I'm currently putting each tree variety onto a separate layer and trying hiding each one at a timeto see if I can identify an issue

My Internet cache has never cleaned itself up. The first time I deleted it years ago, it had over 12 gig of files in it. So I now regularly delete it myself manually.

Mine has on occasions deleted but mostly not, I just add the folder or folders, having multiple installs, to Ccleaner which I run weekly.

The internet cache, the one in Trainz that is, is for your stuff off the DLS. The program should clear it out each time you log in, and shouldn't affect performance of any local routes. You can check this by starting up TRS19.

At the Launcher, click on Clear logs
Then click show logs.

Leave the window open and then click on Content Manager.

You'll see the login process, with setting cookie and clearing cache. By clearing the log ahead of time, you'll have a fresh log to look at and you'll be able to scroll up to the top and read all the information. If the log is full from a previous session, the new stuff will not only be difficult to find, but also maybe flushed as the log scrolls up.

In the event that stuff doesn't clear, you can do that manually, but it doesn't seem to do much harm with it there. The only time this might affect performance is if your hard disk is really full. You might want to manually clear the cache and defrag your hard drive to ensure you're not defragging stale data, but in general there's no difference at least from what I've seen.

Not sure it's clearing as I haven't downloaded for at least 5 days but been in surveyor every day and mine was showing 560 odd items in cache

Not sure it's clearing as I haven't downloaded for at least 5 days but been in surveyor every day and mine was showing 560 odd items in cache

Interesting. I've seen it empty when I've checked so I thought it was doing the right thing. Malc (Clam1952) mentioned that his doesn't always clear automatically.

I just checked my Internet cache folder and it didn't clear. I have the same number of things in there as well. (We must've downloaded the same things!) Manual clearing doesn't hurt and it gives up some used hard drive space too. If you do the same thing, I recommend running a defrag on your HD if it's not an SSD.

Interesting. I've seen it empty when I've checked so I thought it was doing the right thing. Malc (Clam1952) mentioned that his doesn't always clear automatically.

I just checked my Internet cache folder and it didn't clear. I have the same number of things in there as well. (We must've downloaded the same things!) Manual clearing doesn't hurt and it gives up some used hard drive space too. If you do the same thing, I recommend running a defrag on your HD if it's not an SSD.

Cleared cache manually went into Surveyor and back out still no downloads and cache is now 562
It's self generating
It's alive

Back