A list of good DLS content makers

A good list of DLS content makers *US CONTENT ONLY*

Hello, this post will be listing good content sources of the DLS, made to help old and new players find good content. If you don't see your name listed its because A: i do not know of your DLS material B: most of your content is on a third party site like JR for example.

THIS LIST DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL CONTENT, due to my lack of knowledge of those areas of the trainz community, sorry for the inconvenience.

Note that during this listing i will use the term form and function for rolling stock, a term i like to use to designate trainz rolling stock. Form means rolling stock not using loads that interactive industries tend to use, (example being Davesnows autoracks and bulkhead flats, their loads were made specific for those cars) while function is equipment that does use industry accepted loads.

TO DO!
add more content creators
add links to helpful forum posts

DLS CONTENT CREATORS

DAVESNOW

A well known DLS creator, Dave's content has been well loved by many in the trainz community. His texturing style is sort of pixe-ly per say, but not in a bad way, just enough to give his stuff a definite "Dave snow look" His content comes in a variety of forms, from scenery, locomotives, rolling stock, MOW equipment and even some routes.

Locomotive and rolling stock quality is great, almost all come with random numbering and a variety of schemes, and things that would have interiors almost always have custom ones, locomotives, passenger cars and cabooses.

A example of quality, Dave made a BN, SP, demonstrator and UP scheme for his U50 model and even made special edits to his U50 model to have the front access door for the SP scheme, and then for his Fairbanks morse switch engine, he made different models for different railroads, ones with/without streamlining, roof access ladders and different headlight types. Keep in mind Dave literally just went through and made a ton of edits to a model he made, just so that they would be accurate to the configuration that their owning roads ordered them in, that's dedication.

Dave has also made some fictional stuff too, like a prototype ethanol powered locomotive, a Genset ALCO switcher and many fictional paint schemes for his engines, rolling stock and other things.

Dave is also known for his willingness to permit reskins, with most of his models having undec skins ready for reskinning. If you are to reskin any of Daves stuff and post it on the DLS, please contact and ask him first and give proper credit in the items description.

The only problem i can note is that some of his rolling stock is form, however most of his boxcars/grain hoppers are function and are perfect for the UMR or other industry interactive routes.

If you are looking for modern railroad equipment and don't want the hassle of buying and/or downloading something from JR or another third party site, Dave's content is definitely for you.

BTVFD

Does Davesnow have a model you like, but not in the scheme you need? Then try BTVFD! Most of BTVFDs stuff is reskins of existing Dave snow, and other peoples content, but that does not mean his stuff is under grade. He has made many great reskins of CF7s, many different slug models, sd70aces, ES44AC tier 4s, and i am not even counting his intermodal stock. And then theres the gensets...and the sw1500s..any one mans attempt to count them would lead him to insanity.

Not much else to be said as has been said above, if you find somthing you like but not in the skin you need, espeically if its from Davesnow, BTVFD is a great place to start.

WHITEPASS

A proven maker of good 40s and 50s era content on the DLS. While JR and trainz forges respective 40ft boxcars and PA1 packs may seem like better choices in place of Whitepasses versions, his are not only easier to download, being on the DLS, but his come in more schemes than the third party alternitives. However, 40ft boxcars and ALCO PAs are not the only things Whitepass has published, from ALCO RSes, EMD FTs, VO 1000s all the way to boxcabs and mckeen motor cars and one of the best GG1 models on the DLS, if your looking for early diesels or non EMD/GE model locomotives, Whitepass has what you need, especially if you need the locomotive in a east coast railroads scheme.

Whitepass has also made a very long and varying line of rolling stock, cabooses, flatcars, gondolas and great looking heavy and lightweight passenger cars, this not even mentioning his line of 40ft boxcars. Also most of his stock is function.

The only noteable downside with whitepasses content is the type of wheel he uses for most of his equitment. It can be abit odd looking.

So Whitepasses content, perfect for anyone looking to re-enact the 50s and 60s era of north east railroading.

MAXWERKS

Known for his intresting switching routes, Maxes routes, especially his latest relases, have great detail, even including dynamic sound where you can hear nature and in some places RR radio communications, and intresting design, i will list some of his most notable creations here.

Modesto & empire

based off of a industrial switching complex in California, great if you like centerbeam and boxcar switching. Even includes a street running segment

Corpus christi terminal

Based off of the G&W family member road, the Corpus Christi terminal RR (CCPN) in texas. Large oil refinires and dockside transfer facilities await those that enjoy dockside switiching. Personaly i like to use the route as a old SP branch switching the San Francisco bays many dock complexes.

Clovis to Lubbock

A route replicating the old ATSF mainline between lubbock texas, and clovis new mexico. Maxwerks first route that combines his tradtional switching branches with mainline ops, and he nails it. A multitude of customers to switch and the perfect setup to run old ATSF or new BNSF operations. The route is a goldmine for those who like western mainlines.

Aransas Pass Terminal

A route based off of a old railroad taking freight cars and oil coming off of ships on a island, running across marshes on trusstles back to a mainline for transfer. If you like barge freight interchanges, this is somthing you can enjoy.

Most of Maxwerks routes are okay on their own, though clovis to lubbock requires a dep pack downloadable on the offical forum post for the route. Also the Corpus and Modesto routes have some broken level crossings (atleast one each) that do not de-actavate, but the other routes should be glitch free.

If your looking for switching routes, max out your collection with.....well Maxes werks (Badum tiss)

MSGSAPPER

Much like BTVFDs content, most of Sappers content is not his own, however instead of being reskins, his are ports from trainz pro routes. This can be helpful for those who dont want to go through the hassle of third party downloads. The ported routes cover many areas, the american west, eastern roads, and even down south in florida. Sapper also has locomotive and rolling stock reskins, most of wich are on outdated models, though his steam engine reskins are okay, aswell as his UP E9 and matching passenger car touchups.

The only downside to these routes is that they may seem alittle outdated in some places...one might even say sappy (Badum tiss), heck most dont even have portals.

These routes can be great walks down memory lane, especially if you joined the trainz community a long time ago, if you want some simple routes to get started in trainz, or wanna see how things were back in "ye olden trainz", these serve as perfect insights.

TRAINBOI1

Trainboi1 has a intresting mix of american and british locomotives, both standard and narrow gauge under his belt. Featuring random numbering, his american standard gauge DLS content is actualy small enough to be listed here.

SP Pacific type (with/without skyline casing and daylight streamlining)
SP Atlantic type (with without daylight paint)
Great northern s-2 and h-4 classes

standard gauge rolling stock content is a fleet of lightweight daylight cars, from articulated car sets to obs cars, perfect for running a daylight consist.

Trainboi1s content is perfect for those who would like to at last enjoy high quality steam engines from the DLS.

PHILSKENE

You have probably seen small yet intricate logging layouts, with rustic and detailed steam engines and environs in train magazines before. Philskene has managed to move that rustic feeling and detailed nature of logging layouts into trainz, with the routes themselves being great examples of trainz NG. But his routes don't just cover logging, others cover desert mining and industrial switching layouts, both in Narrow and standard gauges. Phil has also made some NG and SG equipment, as well as sessions for his routes. For those looking to do some dirty industrial switching, run a NG Shay through quiet forests, or run on layout styled trainz routes in general, give Phil's content a look.

This is the end of the list for now, it will be edited and expanded in due time, and i do plan on doing a third party site list in the future, see you then, ADIOS!:wave:

Last edited:
But they don't make Welsh content do they boyo?

What we need is more Welsh content never mind those strange foreign places abroad.

Luv Karen

Just to clarify; "DLS content makers" in the title only means makers of loco's, rolling stock or routes. And their stuff must be on the DLS.

For the routes, your audience might want to know if they can expect to find all dependencies of those routes on the DLS or if they are in for the "missing asset hunt" on various non-DLS websites. This can have a major impact on their choices.

Sorry, i don't know much about European railroading, i am just listing what i know :/

Get an proper education and come and visit Wales.

Ffestiniog Railway
Talyllyn Railway
Welsh Highland Railway
Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway

are all worth a visit and you can travel from the airport in London by train. You'll find it quite different to Amtrack with more than thirty trains a day from London to Cardiff.

Luv Karen

Just to clarify; "DLS content makers" in the title only means makers of loco's, rolling stock or routes. And their stuff must be on the DLS.

For the routes, your audience might want to know if they can expect to find all dependencies of those routes on the DLS or if they are in for the "missing asset hunt" on various non-DLS websites. This can have a major impact on their choices.

Most of the routes listed are okay when it comes to missing deps, though some i downloaded a long while ago, so their might be some problems.

Okay, for you British/non American folks

If your wondering why my lists don't tend to have British stuff and the like, its because i don't tend to look for British related content, so i don't know a lot of good content makers for said region.

This does not mean i don't know anything about British railroads, because i do, the big four, nationalization, how the introduction of the class 55 and class 08 was equivalent to the introduction of the EMD FT and SW model locomotives. Heck i grew up with the Thomas tv (its what got me into railroading) show back when it was actually faithful to the books and went on to read said books as i grew up. Me and my parents are even planning a trip to Britain when i get out of school and my mom wants me to plan what heritage railroads we go to.

So...i hope this answers your issues, if any of you have more experience with British content makers for trainz and could make your own list, then go for it.

Okay, for you British/non American folks

If your wondering why my lists don't tend to have British stuff and the like, its because i don't tend to look for British related content, so i don't know a lot of good content makers for said region.

This does not mean i don't know anything about British railroads, because i do, the big four, nationalization, how the introduction of the class 55 and class 08 was equivalent to the introduction of the EMD FT and SW model locomotives. Heck i grew up with the Thomas tv (its what got me into railroading) show back when it was actually faithful to the books and went on to read said books as i grew up. Me and my parents are even planning a trip to Britain when i get out of school and my mom wants me to plan what heritage railroads we go to.

So...i hope this answers your issues, if any of you have more experience with British content makers for trainz and could make your own list, then go for it.

But your title doesn't say its only only US content does it and I suspect that might have been the concern that only US content is worth considering.

Cheerio John

But your title doesn't say its only only US content does it and I suspect that might have been the concern that only US content is worth considering.

Cheerio John

well, i guess i will change the name because i don't have the knowledge of British DLS content to put it down reliably.

EDIT: just remembered i cant change the name, notification has been added towards the top of the post.

Last edited:
I saw where this thread would go even before reading it!

Almost everyone who is a railfan love mostly the trains and railroads where they live, so I figured there would be almost immediate dissent. There are some from other countries who model railroads and routes of other places though.

IMHO, all countries have interesting railroads. This thread would have been better started by a neutral Trainzer.

I expect it to be locked pretty quickly!

Have a great day,

Dave

Dave --

I agree.

"If you don't see your name listed its because A: i do not know of your DLS material B: most of your content is on a third party site like JR for example."

Given the size of the DLS I suspect that A: covers an enormous amount of material.

My main interests are model railroads and narrow gauge assets (locomotives, rolling stock, track, ... ) that are a) on the DLS and b) require no external dependencies. Could you update the list to include them, please?

Dave --

I agree.

"If you don't see your name listed its because A: i do not know of your DLS material B: most of your content is on a third party site like JR for example."

Given the size of the DLS I suspect that A: covers an enormous amount of material.

My main interests are model railroads and narrow gauge assets (locomotives, rolling stock, track, ... ) that are a) on the DLS and b) require no external dependencies. Could you update the list to include them, please?

As a matter of fact your narrow gauge equipment will be next to be edited into the list. ;)

No dissention here. I follow the English, Australian, Scottish, Irish, Polish, Spanish, French, Japanese, and anyone else who posts screenshots or freeware or on the DLS. Trainz has routes worldwide and I am not about to limit myself to the U.S. I would love it if some of them get mention here. In fact, if they don't I will post some of them myself! Trainzlane, you would not mind that would you?

Last edited:
For the OP: You can change the title of the thread. Edit the first post and select Go Advanced. Change the title to reflect its just for U.S. locos, rail cars, etc. Don't say it excludes British, or any country otherwise your list will be very long.

We've had these sorts of threads before and they often come to grief despite the best of intentions.

No dissention here. I follow the English, Australian, Scottish, Irish, Polish, Spanish, French, Japanese, and anyone else who posts screenshots or freeware or on the DLS. Trainz has routes worldwide and I am not about to limit myself to the U.S. I would love it if some of them get mention here. In fact, if they don't I will post some of them myself! Trainzlane, you would not mind that would you?

As a separate post, yes. Putting them all in the comments of this one would become a "navigational" hassle, considering how large posts like these tend to be.

For the OP: You can change the title of the thread. Edit the first post and select Go Advanced. Change the title to reflect its just for U.S. locos, rail cars, etc. Don't say it excludes British, or any country otherwise your list will be very long.

We've had these sorts of threads before and they often come to grief despite the best of intentions.

Thanks for the help, i have had issues learning the forums setup.

Back