I think I just lost months of work!!!!

neilsmith749

So I've been regrassifying the UMR for the last few months, and the progress was going well. I was about 2/3 done. Today I created a new layer of TurfFX, and started laying it down. No problems. Inadvertently, I think I may have tweaked one of the parameters on one of the existing grass layers. Now when I load the route, and travel to a part I worked on longer ago, the grass is still there. BUT....when I add or delete any type of grass, the entire grid's grass disappears!!!!:'(
Unfortunately both of my backup copies were made AFTER I goofed up. I've tried doing a database repair, but that didn't help.

So the big question - am I screwed???? I'm pretty sure I know the answer, and that's about 3 months of work GONE!!!

If anyone has any secret fixes or tips, I'm all ears.

This is definitely not the Christmas present I was hoping for.

ughhhhhh

Hi Neil,

hard to say from here what happened but if ok send me a copy and have a quick look if i stumble on a positive note to cheer you up.
I know backups are as good as you have the luck not backing up errors or damaged part and not knowing it.
Merry Xmas my friend!

roystrainz@gmail.com

Roy

By "both backups", I'm guessing those were CDPs? There are usually quite a few more in your Backups folder. In T:ANE it is usually under the C:\N3V Games folder. Make a copy of that before doing anything else, and save your "faulty" route to a CDP just in case it's really not faulty. Usually it keeps quite a few more than 2, although TRS19 may be different, hence why I'm asking.

You can use Import Content in CM to restore things in the Backup folder, but take Roy up on his offer.

Neil, dl runs now and one more fresh expresso early morning (5:20 am,yes i am early bird all my life) maybe i might help you not sure but give it a try. Best guess its somewhere as long as you not deleted something, obvious.
RRsignal is right backup shows the tzarc files a.w.a folder files of currently saved

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can find a backup folder in TRS19. Not sure what to do next, but at least it's a small ray of hope. Happy holidays to everyone!

So I've been regrassifying the UMR for the last few months, and the progress was going well. I was about 2/3 done. Today I created a new layer of TurfFX, and started laying it down. No problems. Inadvertently, I think I may have tweaked one of the parameters on one of the existing grass layers. Now when I load the route, and travel to a part I worked on longer ago, the grass is still there. BUT....when I add or delete any type of grass, the entire grid's grass disappears!!!!:'(
Unfortunately both of my backup copies were made AFTER I goofed up. I've tried doing a database repair, but that didn't help.

So the big question - am I screwed???? I'm pretty sure I know the answer, and that's about 3 months of work GONE!!!

If anyone has any secret fixes or tips, I'm all ears.

This is definitely not the Christmas present I was hoping for.

ughhhhhh

Please read this Wiki, I was able to bring back 2 corrupt routes recently, read carefully http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php?title=Help:Restoring_Content

The short of it is to navigate to your Trainz AppData Local 'Backup' folder, find the .tzarc 'backup' file with the date you wish to restore, copy it to your 'Editing' folder, rename by removing everything after the .tzarc extension. Then do a database rebuild, Start Trainz Content Manager and find your file, and 'Submit Edits'. All should be fine after that (to the date of the backup file)

Make copies of all the files first (good, bad, backups) and store them somewhere else, just incase...

Last edited:
CRISIS AVERTED!!!!!! Christopher - thanks again. I was able to restore a non-corrupt save from yesterday. Losing one day of work seems like a small price to pay compared to 90 days of work! And more importantly, we have a post with how to restore old backups. Thankfully Trainz is smarter than me and keeps multiple backups from multiple days. What a life-saver that was.

I feel a lot better now. Time for a drink! :clap:

Back Up!!!!!! Every couple of days depending on what I'm doing I make a CDP and put on a stick, wont even trust it to be on my computer. Good luck with the rout. Back Up!!!!!

Every day I save all my new work to One Drive. Each revised route and its session gets backed up each day. Once a week I save all my routes to One Drive. Since I use two computers to do my Surveyor work One Drive is a convenient way to transfer the most recent update to the other PC.

This process worked well for me also when I was transferring routes from TANE to TRS19.

CRISIS AVERTED!!!!!! Christopher - thanks again. I was able to restore a non-corrupt save from yesterday. Losing one day of work seems like a small price to pay compared to 90 days of work! And more importantly, we have a post with how to restore old backups. Thankfully Trainz is smarter than me and keeps multiple backups from multiple days. What a life-saver that was.

I felt the same way when I was able to recover my corrupt routes... Drink Up! Merry Christmas! Your Welcome!

PS, see how fast that was? LOL Trainz is better than ever!!!

neilsmith749 -
Glad that story had a happy-ever-after ending!
In future, may I recommend a simple, fullproof routine to ensure that you don't lose any valuable Surveyor work?
Simply COPY your entire Trainz folders (including Userdata) to an external (or different internal) drive with the date and Build Number included in the name of the folder.
I do this whenever I am about to make any serious changes to my current Trainz version and always before applying any patch.
Hard disk drive and even SSD space is so cheap these days so you can have many Terabytes to spare for such important backups.
As a belts 'n braces type of guy, I also create CDPs of each route and session I'm working on immediately after any major work is conducted.
Enjoy your holidays!

Neil,

in my email i told you check tzarc and the folder route files, most of the time the folder file is not corrupt and you can just drop that into the open edit folder and do a rebuild is that what you did or the Tzarc?
Other trainzers reading this cannot see which one you used that was not corrupt here.
Christopher thanks too for helping out Neil!
Happy end big relief!
Now regarding the settings of the TurfX layers check what you did wrong most important not to end up again with a corrupt file or so.

Roy

I do back up very frequently, and unfortunately, that's what got me in trouble in the first place. I had made the critical error with TurfFx, but didn't realize it until after I had backed it up AGAIN, overwriting the good one with the bad one. I always save to CDP both on my desktop, and to an external stick, and it's served me well for these many years. This was kind of a weird situation, and one I'm still trying to figure out. What I've learned so far with TurfFX, is that if you're ever creating a new layer, and you get the RED warning coming up from any of the changes you've made...well, I STOP right there. As far as I've been able to reproduce the problem, whenever that warning comes up, even if you don't save it, I get the same issue of older grasses disappearing when you click on them. Still working on it.

Thanks to all for your responses. The wealth of shared knowledge is truly a great asset we all have.

N3V strongly depends upon the free work of contributors. Obviously the weeks and months of work are exposed to all sorts of "events" thus everyone has a scheme to backup their work. Because N3V thrives on the work of others, it is incumbent on them to structure a backup process that offers safety and flexibility but in a formal manner. That way everyone contributes to the single process and there emerges a professional backup scheme!

N3V strongly depends upon the free work of contributors. Obviously the weeks and months of work are exposed to all sorts of "events" thus everyone has a scheme to backup their work. Because N3V thrives on the work of others, it is incumbent on them to structure a backup process that offers safety and flexibility but in a formal manner. That way everyone contributes to the single process and there emerges a professional backup scheme!

Well said Boleyd! Knowing there is that bit of a cushion as far as multiple backups really puts your mind at ease! Merry Christmas to all!

Back