What to buy?

I like my T:ANE a lot, but I have to admit that the screenshots I am seeing of 2019 have about got me sold (Check out the screenshots forums). The only reason I haven't is that I really don't have enough computer power for either
version
, but at the rate I download stuff, the FCT and monthly DLC stuff in a subscription version of 2019 really tempt me. People are already at work upgrading T:ANE and earlier version routes and assets into 2019.
It comes down to a personal choice of course, and what you want to see in your simulator.

I need an opinion. Do I get TS19, or get T:ANE Platinum edition?

Get T:ANE Platinum now and then upgrade afterwards. It'll be an easy crossover content wise and you'll enjoy the updated graphics in T:ANE.

You'll end up with SP3 with a hotfix in beta at the moment.

Contrary to some posts here, SP3 has a lot of things fixed in it compared to the previous versions, though, some things got broken too on release, but compared to earlier versions it's not so bad as a lot of people make that out to be.

If you get T:ANE now, you can use the opportunity to convert your personal routes over so they work in future versions. The stickler between TS12 and T:ANE and up is the Speed Trees. Due to a version change, IDV made no upgrade path between Ver. 5 trees as found in TS12, and the new V6 as found in T:ANE. There are methods to make the changeover fairly easy, and we can help you when that time comes.

But before you upgrade, what are the specs for your computer? It's good to find out what you have before making the plunge.

Hi PRRE6 --

I beg to differ with the suggestions to go with T:ANE. Go with the basic TRS19. It's so much better -- PBR ground textures, TurfFX grasses, improved lighting effects, better frame rates, ... .

And maybe this PRR E6 will interest you too:

Phil

TS19
Better and smoother graphics.

The point that's missing from the discussion I'd lifecycle support.
TANE, TS17, TS2016 all have a shorter lifecycle for support - I suspect that the latest fix for TANE will be the last.

You don't have to join the Gold scheme, you can purchase outright, and add FCT as you need.

As noted in other threads, TANE and TS19 put a lot of load on the graphics card; previous versions pushed the CPU hard.
Last night, my i5 CPU was running about 60% TS19, 80% GPU for TS19.

Post your PC specs, it may be that your graphics card could be swapped out. That's got to be cheaper than a new PC!

TS19
Better and smoother graphics.

The point that's missing from the discussion I'd lifecycle support.
TANE, TS17, TS2016 all have a shorter lifecycle for support - I suspect that the latest fix for TANE will be the last.

I actually posted that and then erased it after I thought about it. With TRS2019 still really in beta and early release, I would go with the full product with full support until the new one is released.

According to Tony, T:ANE will not be going away just yet and there will be more service packs in the future. Regular support will remain just as it did for TS12, which is really coming up on the end of line at some point.

John,

Thanks for the info - I'm not sure of the support needs for running 2 or three versions of Trainz (TS17, TANE, TS19), but I understand that the last 2 are built on the same graphics engine.

As you say, just now TS19 is still not finished, whereas TANE does offer a more comprehensive package.

I find TS19 smoother - but that's also hardware dependant.

Regards,

Colin

Get T:ANE as it is a mature product with lots of available content.
TRS2019 is not yet a full release product and anyone purchasing it, is going to have to deal with lots of issues in the next few months. Wait until it is a full release version before spending your hard earned money.
It took T:ANE lots of releases to get to a stable product.
Finally T:ANE can be purchased for a lot less money than TRS2019.

I would suggest The New Era box version just in case you need to reinstall. An original hard copy is always better than a DL copy. TS19 will come down in price at some point and I suggest the box version here too. Just make sure your pc can handle both.

I also would get the boxed T:ANE. If N3V ever goes out of business, or the activation servers are unreachable for an extended period, you'll only lose your DLC.

Still haven't seen the OP's computer specs so some of this advice might be academic. Especially if he can't see the new TurfFx or Ground Clutter features.

If your current rig runs T:ANE well, then TRS2019 will probably run even better.
It's a no-brainer - Get TRS2019 and don't look back - like most of us who have taken that bold step into the future of Trainz!

I might add to my post, that depending on your budget, you could get T:ANE Platinum as a one-time cost and follow up with a monthly gold subscription to TS2019. Or if you don't like the subscription model then you would have to decide whether to lay out purchase price for one, the other, or both....

I need an opinion. Do I get TS19, or get T:ANE Platinum edition?

You already have Tane, so I personally would run with TS2019. Give me a 2019 Corvette Stingray, over a 2015 Corvette Stingray anyday... (TANE Platinum Edition is occasionally discounted, so I'd get TS2019, then if you can afford it, pickup the Tane Platinum addition when it's next heavily discounted).

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
Back