TS19 slow loading Elements - DeFragment

boleyd

When TS19 was installed on your system chances most people did that with a "normal" disk. If So, then that information is scattered all over the disk. When W10 writes data it grabs the next available sector to come under the writing magnetic head. There is no attempt to wait for the next one to follow the previous sector that was written. Thus the TS19 files are a mess....

To add another area - I looked at my video card(GPU) usage with Task manager and it was at 100% with the Hinton Route. Your settings of various options. This was with all options at maximum just for curiosity. Frame rates were single digits. Backing all options down to 50% I had low teens and low 20's. See signature.

Last edited:
Indeed (the way Windows handles things is that it fits what it can in the next 'free' part of the drive which may or may not be next to where the last file or part of the file was written).

Shane

Yes +1 on the defrag thing. I do this periodically during the day if I've been fixing content and doing lots of editing. I noticed now with all the extra files we have with routes, this make a big difference.

I also recommend doing this before a DBR and before backing up. It definitely speeds up the process substantially.

I wondered about that --- doesn't a proper defrag program just do a Trim?

Windows 10 defrag will only Trim the drive. This is built into the software.

You have to be careful of some 3rd party applications which do not follow the modern standards and system hardware drivers and like to do things themselves.

I use IOBit Smart Defrag on my Win7 systems (no SSD), but it has a Trim function if it sees an SSD in your system. Acdording to the users manual, it won't automaticall do anything to an SSD. You have to initiate the action.

Bill

For SSD drives....go to the manufacturers website and download the specific tool for that model of SSD to keep it in proper shape

For SSD drives....go to the manufacturers website and download the specific tool for that model of SSD to keep it in proper shape

I did that with my SanDisk SSD and there's an option to use the Windows Trim function, which I did and it brought up the regular Defrag application.

I do agree though because there are other important tools associated with the manufacturer's toolbox such as diagnostics that show drive life, and other important to know information.

Back