Utica Division 1880's

Thanks, the two water ways shown are the old Erie canal, which originally ran through the Downtown, until the Barge Canal, a couple miles north of Utica replaced it in the early 1900's. What used to be the canal is now called Oriskany St.

The the river just to the north of the yard is the Mohawk, which has also been reverted away from the yard since. During the time period of this route, many trips went daily to a gravel pit, for the goal of filling in the swamp and that part of the river to enlarge the yard.

The track is called "Standard gauge sloppy track". If I could, I'd reskin it to more brown than red, but that content doesn't allow for it. What I like about it, is that there's no ballast and I can sink it in to the ground a little. There's no smooth transition from the other ballasted track and the "sloppy" track, unfortunately.

:wave: Evening Sir,

:cool: Yankee ingenuity for sure, on the Gravel fill, thanks for the overview that's really interesting to know, if you went there today, you wouldn't ever suspect a water canal went thru the area.......

I think I'll go look up more of the historical for that area........

As the for the Track name, I found it from "Flamerail" only thing was gauge was spelled "guage" in asset name, so when I put the whole thing in, with only Sloppy track, then it showed on DLS, in case anyone else is looking.....

They will find it has an Texture.txt missing file issue, so they need to run it through ASSET X and it fixes it easily, commit and no more error in T:ANE, typical error correcting on T:ANE's part.......If not they'll need to make the Texture.txt File manually........

:D Track will work great on my Western Style RR's thanks for helping me with the name.......

I think semaphore signals would be appropriate for this time period. The first ones appeared in the 1860's although they were mechanical. They really came into use in the 1870's when the track circuit because available.

Here is what I've found over the years for signals;

<kuid:86661:24204> 2foot highball by slugsmasher

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

<kuid2:60850:24523:3> Sig UQ Distant 20ft LHS and <kuid2:60850:24522:4> Sig UQ Home 20ft LHS by bloodnok (available in 15ft, 20ft, and 30ft). I switched these to RHS but that means the semaphore arm is on the wrong side and rolling stock can hit the arm.

As you can see both signal types are manual. The UQ do not have oil reservoirs but I think I've seen some signals that do have them I just haven't been able to find them again yet. I'd expect that the ladders would be wood rather than steel but that is speculation.

I haven't tried adding signal men and sheds/homes for them in remote areas. I think they would be on the telegraph for coordination but all of this is speculation too. :D

BTW if you are in the market for brick roundhouses;

<kuid:387111:100084> 80' Roundhouse Kit, Stub, Brick Wall D49
<kuid:387111:100153> 80' Roundhouse Kit, Stub, Wood Walk D49
<kuid2:387111:100165:1> TEH 80' Roundhouse Kit, Center Stall
<kuid2:387111:100167:1> TEH 80' Roundhouse Kit, Left Stall
<kuid2:387111:100662:1> TEH 80' Roundhouse Kit, Turntable
<kuid2:387111:100478:1> TEH 80' Roundhouse Kit, Stub, DkGrey
<kuid2:387111:100166:1> TEH 80' Roundhouse Kit, Right Stall
By Don49plm

Currently available at The Erecting Hall https://n8phu.wordpress.com/newest-releases/

Don has made some noises about getting these on the DLS.

FYI both these are old narrow gauge routes, I converted the second route shown to standard gauge.

Last edited:
Back