Empty directories in the "Editing" directory

HiBaller

19 Years of Trainz
Pretty much every time I take a look into the editing directory (build 90948, currently), there are one or more directories using my KUID. Each one of them is empty, but apparently burning up a KUID number of mine for some reason. Any idea what they are (or were)?

Bill

Bill,

From what I gather, they're from route editing and remain if you've had an unexpected crash and T:ANE recovers and doesn't clean-up afterwards.

The question remains though what happens to all the used KUIDs that are part of this process? Do they get reused again, or are they gone forever like those numbering machines with the incrementing gear in them?

That's what bothers me as well, John. If I can't use the numbers again, a lot of route editing will reduce the number pool rather fast at that rate.

I've never had TANE crash on me at any time, so I wonder why those KUID directories remain? Any programmer worth his or her salt would clean up after themselves.

Bill

Yup same here, and the problem too is if an older route is imported and this is a valid KUID in both the import and the temp file, then something gets overwritten. Sure we get that open for edit on import with a conflict, but what happens if someone commits the import?

I agree this should be cleaned up on exit, and maybe use a non-valid, scratch KUID for temporary files instead of the user's ID.

I agree this should be cleaned up on exit, and maybe use a non-valid, scratch KUID for temporary files instead of the user's ID.

There's a good idea, John. Auran/N3V is so enamored of the negative KUIDs, they could use something like KUID -99999:xxxxxx for a temporary KUID. If the content is in the edit directory for a reason (import KUID conflict, etc) then any attempt to commit would give you a pop-up saying "You can do that because........."

Bill

If I can't use the numbers again, a lot of route editing will reduce the number pool rather fast at that rate.
You can reuse the numbers (as long as the number is vacant), though you might have to do so manually. But even without that, you have at least 700,000 numbers. The counter also resets on every (re-)install.

You can reuse the numbers (as long as the number is vacant), though you might have to do so manually. But even without that, you have at least 700,000 numbers. The counter also resets on every (re-)install.

I tried that once, using TS2012. I reinstalled twice. Each time, before reinstallation, I did some route building, saving the route as I went. The last time I reinstalled, I tried to import some oleer routes and really messed up things. I currently have a list in a TXT file giving numerical prefixes to everything I'm likely to create. I use those.

Bill

I tried that once, using TS2012. I reinstalled twice. Each time, before reinstallation, I did some route building, saving the route as I went. The last time I reinstalled, I tried to import some oleer routes and really messed up things. I currently have a list in a TXT file giving numerical prefixes to everything I'm likely to create. I use those.

Bill

I sort by my content then by Kuid to ensure I get them in numerical order and use that prior to importing stuff to ensure I don't overwrite something.

I like the -99999 UID idea. That's a good scratch number way out of the way of normal KUIDs.

Back