Windows 10 Spring (2018) Creators Update

Release has been delayed

From Brink (AKA Martin Brinkman) on 10 Forums.

Microsoft was going to rollout on April 10, but found a blocking bug over the weekend that was bad enough to hold the release. Not sure if bug was fixed in 17133.73 or if it'll come in another patch. RS4 will likely begin rollout in a couple weeks now.

Explains why the insider ISO for 17133.1 was pulled from the Insider ISO Downloads yesterday.

Think it's safest to wait this one out, just been a cumulative update for 1709 today anyway.

I have noticed that new Windows login and security options are now available with the update.

You can now login with a device PIN. The PIN can contain text and symbols and can be longer than the usual 4 digit PIN. This login is unique to each device (where you have set it up) so if a hacker gets your Microsoft account login password then they do not gain access to all your devices. You can select the method of login for each device, normal account password or device PIN.

Also new is a Dynamic Lock that automatically locks your PC when you are linked to the PC using a Bluetooth device and step out of Bluetooth range of the PC.

Also new is Windows Hello which offers facial recognition and fingerprint logins. I am unable to install this feature as my laptop is not compatible.

One potentially embarrassing or awkward side effect of the latest Windows update, is when you switch the PC back on it will open programs and documents without prompting or being in the startup list. For example Live Mail (or whatever Outlook is called these days) and wordpad or notepad documents from the last session. This can only be altered by changing an obscure entry in Settings, regarding program updates.

So if you have a document with your Christmas list on it and recipients also use the computer, they will find all your dark secrets cheers, M$.

I have noticed that new Windows login and security options are now available with the update.

You can now login with a device PIN. The PIN can contain text and symbols and can be longer than the usual 4 digit PIN. This login is unique to each device (where you have set it up) so if a hacker gets your Microsoft account login password then they do not gain access to all your devices. You can select the method of login for each device, normal account password or device PIN.

Also new is a Dynamic Lock that automatically locks your PC when you are linked to the PC using a Bluetooth device and step out of Bluetooth range of the PC.

Also new is Windows Hello which offers facial recognition and fingerprint logins. I am unable to install this feature as my laptop is not compatible.

PIN and Hello have actually been available for quite some time. Dynamic Lock apparently was supposed to debut in an earlier build, but may have only been for Enterprise at first.

There is also a new build for the Spring Creators Update. Microsoft have released 17134.1. There was a rather large showstopper bug in 17133, so they chose to replace the build rather than patch it. 17134 is available in the Insider Preview Fast Ring, and should be available to the Slow Ring in the coming days. I would recommend upgrading to 17134 as the major bug in 17133 is a random bluescreen bug.

17134.1 is available now for the Slow Ring...

Thanks for that "Heads Up". Getting it now.

EDIT: Downloaded and installed - took just on 2 hours over a 25Mbps link. Seems to be running well. Lots of "New Features" web pages to browse through.

Last edited:
More bad news, the newest update (17134.1) has a glitch and as a result the rollout of the Spring Creators Update has been delayed again. According to some industry sources the problem is ...

when users running the latest preview navigate into Default Apps and hit Set Defaults By App – the Settings app crashes.

This is the fun of being "on the bleeding edge" of technology.

It looks like the Windows 10 Spring 2018 Creators Update has now gone live to all users. One of my Win 10 computers is downloading it now.

Got it on all three Win10 PC's, used the media creation tool to make an ISO, no problems installing, everything working OK apart from Networking which is screwed up again, minor issue as can still map networked drives, just can't browse from explorer! weird. I suspect it's related to removing Home Groups which I never used, probably something disabled in services that's needed for normal networking.
Turned off all the junk I don't use so it's pretty much the same as pre update.

Got it on all three Win10 PC's, used the media creation tool to make an ISO, no problems installing, everything working OK apart from Networking which is screwed up again, minor issue as can still map networked drives, just can't browse from explorer! weird. I suspect it's related to removing Home Groups which I never used, probably something disabled in services that's needed for normal networking.
Turned off all the junk I don't use so it's pretty much the same as pre update.

I got it earlier on the 30th and all seems to be going well.

I never used that home-groups thing either as I found that redundant and always used the work groups. My network seems to be working fine and I can see other devices on my network as I did before.

Do you have network discovery turned on?

Do you have file and print sharing?

I have both turned on, since I also share a drive with my tablet and laptop on occasion. I wonder if this is the difference.

I did discover previously that older SMB devices, such as Linux-based systems are no longer reachable unless you turn on the old SMB services. You have to add that in manually now using the add Windows features. That was a painful discovery because my old NAS box was not found by the PCs, but could be seen by my Solaris PC. After doing some research, I found out the NAS device is neither upgradeable nor supported any longer so I had to install the older service. I'm not worried about being hacked because everything is behind a firewall and I don't publicly share the NAS box anyway.

I got it earlier on the 30th and all seems to be going well.

I never used that home-groups thing either as I found that redundant and always used the work groups. My network seems to be working fine and I can see other devices on my network as I did before.

Do you have network discovery turned on?

Do you have file and print sharing?

I have both turned on, since I also share a drive with my tablet and laptop on occasion. I wonder if this is the difference.

I did discover previously that older SMB devices, such as Linux-based systems are no longer reachable unless you turn on the old SMB services. You have to add that in manually now using the add Windows features. That was a painful discovery because my old NAS box was not found by the PCs, but could be seen by my Solaris PC. After doing some research, I found out the NAS device is neither upgradeable nor supported any longer so I had to install the older service. I'm not worried about being hacked because everything is behind a firewall and I don't publicly share the NAS box anyway.
Yep, File and Print sharing on and network discovery, the PC's are all visible in Network just won't connect unless I use \\PC01\ in the file manager. They all ping each other quite happily and my software KVM for mouse and keyboard is working as normal. I did get it working briefly by changing the Workgroup name and rebooting them all however on next reboot not working again. Wired Network > Gigabit Switch > Gigabit LTE router, don't use wireless.

Curiously my Linux box was also showing yesterday without smb1, must be using 2 or 3, not there today though! Gave up on NAS with the Fall creators update and stuck the drive in a PC, backups now done via a 4TB external USB drive, shared on one PC, actually quicker than using the NAS.

I'll have a mess around this evening with it all.

The need for \\ means something with DNS services from what I remember back in my old (ahem) NT 4 days. For some reason the name isn't being resolved through the LANMAN pipes, yes, Windows 10 still uses those drivers which came out for Windows for Workgroups and the network add-on for DOS way back in late 1980s.

Good for you with the Linux boxes. Ubuntu is fine, but SAMBA for Solaris needs an update, which is a pain to put in - need to do a makefile, and all the other 'nix stuff for that whereas Ubuntu is just a happy to install click-me patch. My NAS is used as a file-store only for free-ware software, common drivers, my bro's business content - images, files, etc., which he share with our dad who still does some work with him.

The official word from Microsoft is that Home Group has been removed along with other "little used" features in the Windows 10 Spring Creators Update. Home Group was originally intended to be a simple printer and file sharing feature that has, apparently, grown into a "complicated monster". It is now incorporated into the sharing facilities in File Explorer.

This link explains it all including what other changes are planned for the future.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-1803-removed-features

Curiously after clicking on the now mapped shares, I am able to browse normally from the network, until the next reboot.

Curiously after clicking on the now mapped shares, I am able to browse normally from the network, until the next reboot.

I just tried that with my NAS device. After typing its \\IPaddress into File Explorer I then pinned the drive to "Quick Access" in File Explorer and rebooted. On restart the NAS was there in File Explorer and was immediately available for access.

This is definitely a DNS issue. The IP can be resolved but the associated name can't. Have you tried clearing your router or DNS appliance, or server? You might have to tombstone the previous entries and let it rebuild the new ones. (I have to say it's been a decade or more since I've had to do that).

I've just had the Spring update and everything seems OK apart from one problem; Edge will not download files. The popup just sits there reading 0 bytes until there is a timeout. Has anybody else had this problem or knows how to correct it?

Back