Switch Problem on the Short Line Coal Run?

Heinrich505

Has anyone noticed a problem with the switches on the Short Line Coal Run in the yard for the empties?

I get to the coal plant, unload the coal, and then try to pick up the empties in the yard beyond the coal plant. The switches don't seem to line up properly and the red signals don't let me pass. I've tried several different ways of approaching the empties in the yard, but I can't seem to get the switches to set so that the red signal light changes.

I pull the coal cars through the unloading area, then uncouple them per instructions. I then drive straight in to the yard and get the empties on the left. I back them out, but as soon as I get to this point, where I would reverse and push them in to couple the empties on the right, the switches won't set so that I get a yellow and can pass to pick up those on the right. I get a session fail for passing a red light. Frustrating.

Maybe there is some trick to this, but I haven't a clue what it is. Any suggestions?

Heinrich505

Short Line Coal Run????

I did a search of the DLS and it came up blank. What and where is this "Short Line Coal Run"? A bit more information may be helpful.

Sorry, PWARE, there are so many versions of Trainz, and I forgot to give more details.

It is called the Shortline Railroad, and it is payware that shows up on the menu for TANE SP2. I purchased it through N3V for about $6.00. It is early Burlington Northern action, and has 4 sessions included, one of which is "Coal for the Power Station." In the comments section, it appears that the author might be Hiawathamr as there is a website, hiawathamr.weebly.com listed.

On the hiawathamr.weebly.com site under contact, they said they could be reached either on the Trainz forum or on that website. I just figured I would post here first to see if anyone else was having trouble with that particular session and hopefully someone from the website would see this too.

Hope that helps for information. The sessions are really well done and the route is very nice. It's just this glitch that seems to jam me up at the doggone coal station yard.

Heinrich505

Hello Heinrich505,

I just discovered this thread while I was searching for some assets for my route project. I'm glad to hear your having fun with your newly purchased DLC :)
Regarding to the red signal error, it sounds like TANE is having a break down (this seems to really happen more with SP2 series than SP1 HF4, especially on different systems like Intel, AMD, NVIDIA, etc).

What I recommend is after unloading, save the session before attempting anymore moves in case it fails you, that way you don't loose your progress (and maybe it resets, as the signal to pick up the empties is suppose to be yellow, not red). I have made an update as well, and its been stuck in "Waiting for review" since summer, so I don't think any updates are coming soon from them....(shame on you N3V).

Hopefully if it doesn't work, the other sessions might be playful (unless TANE does other stupid things).

Cheers,

Hiawathamr,
Thanks for the quick reply. The sessions really look great, and I have a particular weakness for Burlington Northern - their engines just look so sharp in that forest green.

I have saved, right after I catch the set of empties on the left side of the yard. Things go boffo after that. I tried pulling the empties back past the coal plant, then cutting them loose, running out onto the main line, and trying to back up to catch the empties on the unloading track, but again, the switches won't let me have a yellow to back up and catch them. I've even run through the first switch against the red arrow, slipping the switch with the engines to get into the yard, but of course I can't run out that way as the coal cars derail.

At least I know it isn't some wildly convoluted switching puzzle you concocted with nefarious intention to drive engineers crazy, haha. :D It is simply a bug that might eventually be addressed by N3V.

Thanks for your hard work on this rail line. It really shines.

Heinrich505

Your welcome Heinrich505,

Yeah, SP2 introduced more bugs than fix from my view (AI issues, rule issues, you name it). The thing I can say is with stuck junctions, the power of the AI does come in handy (provided it works);)

Now regarding the switching puzzles, I can arrange that if you want - and be pulling all my hair out from the bugs of SP2! :hehe:

Cheers,

Hiawathamr,
I decided to start the session all over again, to see if that made any difference. I swept right in, unloaded the coal, then rolled into the yard, collected all the empties, and had no problems with any of the switches. Collected the cars I'd just unloaded, and headed back to the drop off point near the starting yard. No problems and a perfect score.

I have no clue why everything worked perfectly this time. I only saved before I started to enter the coal unloading track, and once after I had pulled the empties away from the plant yard. The previous times I had saved after unloading the coal and before I started my switching maneuvers for the other empties. Also, during the first try I slipped up on one of the switches in the yard and had to back out before correcting the switch and then pulling in again. I wonder if the session punishes you if you make any mistakes lining up the switches - that you have to have everything lined up perfectly all the way through first time or else. Just a thought. It is all way above my game knowledge at this point.

Just wanted you to know that everything went perfectly the second time through. And it is all fun. Thanks again. And please, no insane switching puzzles, haha.

Heinrich505

Hello Heinrich505,
Glad to hear that you had zero issues with the session the second round:)

As for the question of why it worked the second time and first time it failed, all I can say is its TANE SP2 series that stops codes, different hardware means different reactions, etc. until it has been reloaded. The sessions don't punish you whatsoever as I didn't script them to be that harsh on the player, but some might be more strict, depending on the route, and the area.

I personally test everything before I send it to N3V and they have additional beta testers test it out. Sometimes they have a bug, and I attempt to reproduce it, and can't on my end - just one of the many examples of SP2 fun... - but if it doesn't work from my testing, then continue to battle it until it works out, as I don't want to share a broken session with the community, whether its freeware or payware. That's how strict I am (hopefully it give an idea).

Overall, glad to hear that it worked out successfully:)

Cheers,
Hiawathamr

Back