Signal Rule Scenario: From Clear to Approach

I know on certain trains like CSX, NS, and Amtrak have signal cabs to aid the engineer but out west for KCS, UP, and BNSF how does going from one end of the spectrum the other end work? Like in the title. Don't signal generally progress to gradually towards less favorable displays? How does that work out? I'm trying to obtain as much information possible in case I get the railroad job so I can be prepared when training starts and be ahead of the curve.

Your best bet is to wait until you get the job because each road has their own rules based on some set standards, aka rule books, but have been customized standards. CSX is based on NORAC, while railroads in the Chicago area use CORA, western roads signed up for GCOR which works different than NORAC, and Canadian railroads use CROR.

This site has some helpful information:

http://www.railroadsignals.us/rulebooks/rulebooks.htm

But I wouldn't worry too much about this stuff because you'll be given a classes and lessons with some quizzes and then ultimately an exam, which you need to pass in order to obtain your conductor's job, or whatever job you apply for. In the end studying and preparing for stuff now will only confuse you.

Back