Trainz the end of an era?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the problem, and that is why people walk away. In the end it's always about the money. It's not about a hobby, it's not about trains, it's definitely not about a community...it's about money, pure an simple. The DLS is set at such a low speed you are forced into spending yet more money to get a download speed that is the same at any free web sites... it's this kind of money grab that is killing Railworks and it's this that will kill Trainz...Like it or not, it's the truth.

FCTs are relatively cheap.

Ken

Well, so far I didn't find the way how to update splines including initiator and terminator (some informations say that meshes for initiator and terminator must be created from central point to minus y axis, but I cannot make working also such).
Splines that were broken by the latest updates were created incorrectly in the first place. Either the initiators/terminators had their Y-axis the wrong way around, or (more commonly) the mesh didn't start at 0 on the y-axis. Splines created correctly according to the published rules work just fine, and can be updated to the latest build easily if desired.

A First Class Ticket isn't that bad but you do have to say to start them.

Cheerio John

After the big donation I gave for TANE...for which I never received what was promised to me. After buying many first class tickets and contributing many creations to the DLStation, I still have to dish out yet more money to stay involved in the hobby or deal with that embarrassingly slow download speeds... Not to mention that everybody and their mother is only seems to be interested in creating payware anymore, so if you want something with a hint of quality get ready to part with more of your money. This franchise seems to be all about keeping a certain groups of people employed instead of making a quality program that everybody enjoys. This is all just the monetary aspects of what is killing Trainz. There is still all the content creator side, as soon as you get a grasp on the building in the sim, they raise the standards of model building even higher. Also, by the time you finish your project, so much time has gone by that it is most likely obsolete. Why would anybody want put up with all that? I'm not even going to get into the over all declining of the quality of people in the Trainz community and how some people are more privileged and segregated by how much money they have paid. If you really want to make a rail sim, N3V has shown us what not to do to be successful.

The only way a rails sim is going to survive is to have a massive community working on an open source program like in Blender. Where ideas come in from the community and not just a privileged few.

After the big donation I gave for TANE...for which I never received what was promised to me. After buying many first class tickets and contributing many creations to the DLStation, I still have to dish out yet more money to stay involved in the hobby or deal with that embarrassingly slow download speeds... Not to mention that everybody and their mother is only seems to be interested in creating payware anymore, so if you want something with a hint of quality get ready to part with more of your money.

Name me a hobby these days that does not involve a continuous output of money to keep yourself going - even stamp collecting requires a constant supply of materials. We have had these discussions over the FCT before - servers and bandwidth still do not come cheap, despite cheaper technology and increased competition between suppliers.

My mother is not the least bit interested in Trainz and I have no interest in creating payware. It is too much of a hassle - you are expected to provide support 24/7 and then there are the tax issues. But I do not blame creators for wanting to make some money out of their hobby if they think that their work is good enough, and it is us users who will ultimately make that assessment. With payware you have to spend your time creating what you think people are interested in buying. With DLS freeware you spend your time doing what you enjoy and creating what you want and if no-one downloads it then it does not matter because you have not wasted your time.

This franchise seems to be all about keeping a certain groups of people employed instead of making a quality program that everybody enjoys. This is all just the monetary aspects of what is killing Trainz.

This argument resurfaces every time there are new product announcements in Trainz. Auran/N3V is not a charity, it is a business. It has to pay wages, taxes, utility bills, insurance, rent (of servers and bandwith if nothing else) and it has to keep ahead or, at the very least, up with the competition. By "stagnating" just to keep some users happy, Trainz will disappear then who will benefit?. I would be interested in hearing who you think are the "certain groups of people" that they are keeping employed?

I think that making a program that everyone enjoys is an interesting concept. Just look at the threads in the Suggestion Boxcar forum and you will see all the different directions that people want Trainz to head of into. Curved baseboards that would allow the entire surface of Earth to be modelled as a sphere was a recent interesting one.

There is still all the content creator side, as soon as you get a grasp on the building in the sim, they raise the standards of model building even higher. Also, by the time you finish your project, so much time has gone by that it is most likely obsolete. Why would anybody want put up with all that?

If you create assets that work perfectly in TRS2004 then there is nothing stopping you from using those assets in TRS2004 for as long as you have TRS2004 on your system. You do not have to move up to TRS2006, TS2009, TS2010, TS12 or TANE. The forum regularly gets posts from users who have decided that they are not going to move to the next version of Trainz and will stay using their current (or an already obsolete) version "forever". It is amazing how many of those same users popup again in the forums some time later with the new version registered on their timeline.

I'm not even going to get into the over all declining of the quality of people in the Trainz community and how some people are more privileged and segregated by how much money they have paid.

Well that is a "slap in the face" to a lot of people in these forums. I really cannot make any sense of that passage except to assume that it was made in anger and will be regretted later.

If you really want to make a rail sim, N3V has shown us what not to do to be successful.

How long has Trainz been in the market? What happened to MSTS? Where are all the freeware train sims in terms of market share, user base, progress, etc. How much does it cost to buy assets from that "other rail sim", the one from DTG?

You seem to have a strange idea of what "success" looks like. Again, I suspect that remark was made without really thinking things through.

The only way a rails sim is going to survive is to have a massive community working on an open source program like in Blender. Where ideas come in from the community and not just a privileged few.

I have had Blender for many years now (I even keep it up to date), and have had GMax even longer. But I have never been able to make any sense of those CAD programs. I suspect that most other users are the same. If any individual has the time, patience and ability to use those programs to make a locomotive (it can even be an "Alco", I don't care) then I will happily put them up on a pedestal and sing hymns to their name. Unfortunately, Train Sims will never be a "massive community" because it is very much a small niche market so we definitely need the "privileged few".

My thoughts only.
Peter

Last edited:
The statement is very true.

"Train Sims will never be a "massive community"

Many developers even don't asks the community before they release a new game.

It is not just a game, it is hobby..:)

Last edited:
Name me a hobby these days that does not involve a continuous output of money to keep yourself going - even stamp collecting requires a constant supply of materials. We have had these discussions over the FCT before - servers and bandwidth still do not come cheap, despite cheaper technology and increased competition between suppliers.

My mother is not the least bit interested in Trainz and I have no interest in creating payware. It is too much of a hassle - you are expected to provide support 24/7 and then there are the tax issues. But I do not blame creators for wanting to make some money out of their hobby if they think that their work is good enough, and it is us users who will ultimately make that assessment. With payware you have to spend your time creating what you think people are interested in buying. With DLS freeware you spend your time doing what you enjoy and creating what you want and if no-one downloads it then it does not matter because you have not wasted your time.

This argument resurfaces every time there are new product announcements in Trainz. Auran/N3V is not a charity, it is a business. It has to pay wages, taxes, utility bills, insurance, rent (of servers and bandwith if nothing else) and it has to keep ahead or, at the very least, up with the competition. By "stagnating" just to keep some users happy, Trainz will disappear then who will benefit?. I would be interested in hearing who you think are the "certain groups of people" that they are keeping employed?

I think that making a program that everyone enjoys is an interesting concept. Just look at the threads in the Suggestion Boxcar forum and you will see all the different directions that people want Trainz to head of into. Curved baseboards that would allow the entire surface of Earth to be modelled as a sphere was a recent interesting one.

If you create assets that work perfectly in TRS2004 then there is nothing stopping you from using those assets in TRS2004 for as long as you have TRS2004 on your system. You do not have to move up to TRS2006, TS2009, TS2010, TS12 or TANE. The forum regularly gets posts from users who have decided that they are not going to move to the next version of Trainz and will stay using their current (or an already obsolete) version "forever". It is amazing how many of those same users popup again in the forums some time later with the new version registered on their timeline.

Well that is a "slap in the face" to a lot of people in these forums. I really cannot make any sense of that passage except to assume that it was made in anger and will be regretted later.

How long has Trainz been in the market? What happened to MSTS? Where are all the freeware train sims in terms of market share, user base, progress, etc. How much does it cost to buy assets from that "other rail sim", the one from DTG?

You seem to have a strange idea of what "success" looks like. Again, I suspect that remark was made without really thinking things through.

I have had Blender for many years now (I even keep it up to date), and have had GMax even longer. But I have never been able to make any sense of those CAD programs. I suspect that most other users are the same. If any individual has the time, patience and ability to use those programs to make a locomotive (it can even be an "Alco", I don't care) then I will happily put them up on a pedestal and sing hymns to their name. Unfortunately, Train Sims will never be a "massive community" because it is very much a small niche market so we definitely need the "privileged few".

My thoughts only.
Peter

Thanks for that well written post, Peter :)

pware...Thanks for your opinion. You can stay and build Trainz to your heart content. The rest will be moving on to something else. At best, there will be a few new faces but will quickly move on because of the reasons I mentioned above. At some point you and everybody else will have to look at these issues in a real life perspective and not through some kind of fan boy fantasy wish.

You can argue all the points you want, but in the end you know I'm right. Potential content creators are, and will continue to be turned off to what this sim has become.

pware...Thanks for your opinion. You can stay and build Trainz to your heart content. The rest will be moving on to something else. At best, there will be a few new faces but will quickly move on because of the reasons I mentioned above. At some point you and everybody else will have to look at these issues in a real life perspective and not through some kind of fan boy fantasy wish.

You can argue all the points you want, but in the end you know I'm right. Potential content creators are, and will continue to be turned off to what this sim has become.

Although i am very critical of NV3 at times, I think you are considerably over egging the cake . Just because you feel angry and disillusioned about the entire sim doesn't mean everyone else is . Try not to project your feelings onto the rest of us, because you cannot assume that we are all sharing your thoughts.

My annoyance with NV3 is that they potentially have a great sim which needs a few tweaks to make it easier to make routes , I want them to consolidate , improve the surveyor interface and make sure that their next few iterations go more smoothly then they have recently. Ive suggested that any changes allow older assets to work , or that they provide subsidized access to software or training to make life easier for content creators.or they establish a team of their own to get widely used items to work . if they provided service packs of updated items for a charge I'd be happy to pay for them.

By being so unrelentingly negative you are are hardly helping NV3 be great again are you ? Some suggestions as to how they could improve the next version would be more constructive than just bagging them .In my experience their charges for DLS are pretty reasonable and its a much better speed now than it used to be .

By being so unrelentingly negative you are are hardly helping NV3 be great again are you ? Some suggestions as to how they could improve the next version would be more constructive than just bagging them .In my experience their charges for DLS are pretty reasonable and its a much better speed now than it used to be .

I'm not being negative or positive. Keeping with the OP, these are the reasons why people are leaving. These are the reasons why you don't see too many new faces. I'm not just talking about Trainz either, Railworks is seeing similar issues. You can praise N3V all you want but without some changes in the near future, there will be no reason for people to invest so much time and money into this sim. They will find other easier sims or games to get into.

For some reason the fanboys here just want to sugar coat the inevitable.

As far as making this a better sim with my own input...I was shut out from that. I guess I didn't give N3V enough money for them to listen to me. Some of the blame was directly N3V's fault which I'm sure they don't want me to discuss here. At this point I really don't care about it either. It's their loss, not mine. Most post about content creation that I did involve myself in went unanswered anyway. Many general post that I made, the Trainz community showed no interest in. Even when I was asking for direct input.

I'm glad that people enjoy Trainz, but there are reasons why it's not continuing to be successful, I gave you some of those reasons. Do with it what you will.

For a person that has been around as long as I have been, you should know better. Think back to the beginning on what was Trainz was supposed to be. Now look at what it has become.
If you want a cheap hobby take up train spotting then. Might be more relaxing as well. :) I'm pretty sure no one is forcing you to buy every version of Trainz but I guess some people will never be happy.

...Ive suggested that any changes allow older assets to work , or that they provide subsidized access to software or training to make life easier for content creators.or they establish a team of their own to get widely used items to work . if they provided service packs of updated items for a charge I'd be happy to pay for them. ...

They have a team, the Content Repair Group, and you don't need to pay anything. The Charter of the CRG forbids improvements to assets: they are only allowed to fix them.

Back on the main thread: I've spent way more money on tools to help me make content than the cost of the sim itself. Like others have said, its a hobby for me so I don't mind the cost.

If you want a cheap hobby take up train spotting then. Might be more relaxing as well. :) I'm pretty sure no one is forcing you to buy every version of Trainz but I guess some people will never be happy.

You are right that is why I'm no longer creating content...in either sim.

I can't imagine why that might have been.

Yes, I realize all the Australian fanboys are going to try to bait me into an argument...it won't work. This is why people leave plain and simple. Some people can control themselves. They aren't happy unless they are making some childish comments. That just prove their lack of maturity...and that is one thing this place definitely lacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back