Turnout/waiting timeout error............

Railhead001

Has there been a work around for AI trains stopping at a red signal waiting for another to pass and then timing out ? You would think this could be patched or a command that allows an amount of time to be entered for the maximum wait time before this happens.......talk about maddening.................

RH001

Nope sadly not that I'm aware of either. This has been the same since day one. It would be nice if there was a session rule, or maybe this system could be revamped, or maybe a bit of both!

AI trains stopping at a red signal waiting for another to pass and then timing out
There are most likely a number of contributing factors and narrowing down the cases where it works and doesn't work would be the key to resolving the issue.

In theory, the AI driver will wait for track clearance (and advise the user via a message that he is waiting) and then when clearance is available, the AI will continue on. Of course. if clearance is never achieved, then the AI cannot continue.

Please provide a test case where there is clearance and the AI doesn't continue and we can take a look at it.

This has been the same since day one.

Which Day 1 do you mean? Since Trainz 1 in 2001 or since TANE was released?

Hey Tony,
Below is a video of the Brazemore Yard layout in TMR17....................as you will see an AI tanker train on the main line comes to a stop waiting for a local mixed freight to pass by...before the local can make it to the next block allowing the mainline to return to green, an exclamation point appears over the waiting train's engineer not allowing it to go through but when I switch him with another driver the new driver turns the red signal green and passes through..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss17UTyICTU&t=182s

Last edited:
The driver that is waiting is prevented from proceeding due to the next signal block being occupied by the first train. It isn't until the train in front clears the next signal (which is a long way around by the yard on the other side of the map) that he can continue. If you wait until the train in front clears the block, the driver continues without need to manually intervene.

You can identify what is holding the loco up by mousing over the signal in front of him. You could also add another signal to shorten the block.
Lastly, you can also "Show Messages" to see what the drive is doing (in this case "waiting for track clearance").

So in this case, as far as I can see, the system is working as expected. If there is a case where the drive doesn't continue when the block in front is clear, please let us know.

Tony,

When the exclamation mark appears the other train had already made it through the next block and the waiting train will immediately go through the signal when a new driver is added to the loco.,,,, the message "waiting" does appear but once that exclamation point appears later the driver will not move, block or no block..............and it is not that long a way to the next block. The signal is right before the loco facility after the bend. I believe the exclamation point has something to do with "timing out"

Once the mixed freight passes the signal at the bend it will turn red, the signal for the waiting train should turn yellow notifying him that the bend signal will be red unless the mixed freight clears the opposite end of the yard in which case it would turn green. I believe the purpose of a yellow signal is to warn the next signal is red and reduced speed is appropriate.

Last edited:
Unfortunately your video doesn't provide the details required in order to understand what is happening. It shows a train driving and a train that is stopped. It doesn't tell us how the stopped train got there, or what command it is trying to complete. It doesn't tell us what the signal message is that is preventing the train from moving (or even whether the signal is clear and it is a junction stopping the train). There may even be other factors that we don't know about. e.g. Are you using a 3rd aprty command to tell him where to go? Or is it the Drive command? Or Drive to Trackmark?

The best way to resolve this issue is to create a session and submit that to us. Trust me - I've done this 1,000 times. Even if we could understand the problem from the video, we would still need try to recreate a session to replciate the issue. As I have explained, our tests show it is working. Something is different in your case and we need to know what that is in order to help.

Last edited:
How hard is this really ? Create 1 train in the main yard as I did in the original, create second train in the siding you see in the video. Only check off release and hold commands for the drivers. Next where you see the train stopped, make sure that signal is red for it, and then change the signal where the mixed freight is to green allowing it to pass through the tunnel. When this is done start the train in the yard by selecting "drive" for the loco, when it approaches the red signal as you see in the video start the second train with drive command.....the first train will stop at the red signal as in the video because it is red and the 2nd train which is the mixed freight will proceed to go around the layout.....through several blocks while the other train waits and will not change the signal to green....again as in the video, you will see the exclamation point appear on the waiting loco's driver...

Seriously........I can't understand how much more info you need...I sent you a copy of my session cdp already.................this is a bug with your program...........I have demonstrated it in two videos as requested, simple AI driving...select drive for each train.........1st for the main yard train then as it approaches the second train start that one, the 1st will stop the second will continue to go around the layout passing several signals while the 1st (tank train) times out waiting for a green signal that never changes..........................

This is on the original Brazemore Yard layout without any modifications to it.........I have repeated this error now several times. Either the train times out or the signal system is not functioning as it should...........the second video shows the tank train stopped after it came to the red signal as in video 1 and shows the mixed freight after exiting the tunnel coming from the siding as it did in video 1. Should be pretty straight forward to understand it is the same action but a different view showing that the tank train is still stopped even after the mixed freight has passed through signal blocks which should turn the tank train signal to yellow or green but does not.

I also apologize for coming off in a rude tone, way past my bed time..........hope you can figure it out..........

Last edited:
How hard is this really ?
Without the required information to reproduce the issue exactly as you are seeing it, extremely hard.

I sent you a copy of my session cdp already.
As indicated via email, your "session" was a save game that was missing required dependencies and therefore could not be used to reproduce the issue.

this is a bug with your program
Most likely it is, but saying "it hurts" doesn't help the doctor diagnose your illness. He requires details as to where it hurts and what makes it hurt before he can diagnose the problem.

When this is done start the train in the yard by selecting "drive" for the loco, when it approaches the red signal as you see in the video start the second train with drive command.....the first train will stop at the red signal as in the video because it is red and the 2nd train which is the mixed freight will proceed to go around the layout
Here is the vital information we needed to reproduce the issue. The "Drive" command appears to be the culprit. Our tests were done using Drive to Trackmark or Drive to Industry, which both work fine.

Should be pretty straight forward to understand
Once we knew the key command to be using to trigger the issue, indeed it was.

Once we had a decent test case, the fix was quite simple:

< if(!CommandNavigateJunction(junction,direction,true,true)
---
> if(!CommandNavigateJunction(junction,direction,false,true)

(hopefully this works for other similar cases - but that is untested)

Back