Lock an Asset??

boleyd

Is it possible to lock an asset?
Example: Place a person on a station platform. Then select that asset and MOVE it. The entire station moves.
It would be nice if the station could be exempted from movement and thus allow assets to be placed and adjusted on the platform.
Dick

Totally what Paulhobbs says.

Create different layers for different assets. Lock the layer of the asset you don't want to move, select the layer of assets you want to move or put new assets in.

Takes a bit getting used to, but after that it becomes really great. Especially as you can hide layers individually.

I have one "tree" layer in which I put all the green stuff. Those things look great, but can eat some performance, so I often make that layer hidden when doing none-tree related surveyor work.

Thanks, Layers are sometimes cursed but they seem to have more than one application......

Layers are the best thing to come to Trainz since Lielestobrat's N2 loco!:D

Seriously they have lots of applications. Unfortunately N3V have chosen not to make them easy to manage, by refusing to put an always-visible indication of the active layer on the Surveyor screen.:confused:

Mick

Last edited:
As stated, layers are the way to go. I use a "Details" layer for just that, anything not necessary like peeps and trash etc. Another for "Tree" as was mentioned. Does take a bit of getting used to in Trainz; but once you wrap your head round it. My complaint is also this"
an always-visible indication of the active layer on the Surveyor screen.
. I have made it a habit to double check I'm on the right layer.

JB

always-visible indication of the active layer on the Surveyor screen.:confused: Mick[/QUOTE said:
I take it this is part of the game software that is beyond the reach of the creator community?

Is it possible to lock an asset?
Example: Place a person on a station platform. Then select that asset and MOVE it. The entire station moves.
It would be nice if the station could be exempted from movement and thus allow assets to be placed and adjusted on the platform.
Dick

What you can do is , move the camera as low as you can in a angle were by the asset is above the station . (difficult to explain) . Then klick a place were the asset is free from the station , the head of the asset . Then klick left and hold and then you can move the mouse for a better angle and do what you want with it.

You can also do the preporation from the asset outside the station , hight or turning and then place it on the station.

On the screenshot see the man with the grey suite .

When working with objects that are often placed very close to each other, catenary, signals, signal gantries, switches, etc., layers are great. Place each set of objects on their own layer. Keep all layers locked except the one you're working on and watch frustration evaporate as everything else stays put while working one one set of objects. With the ability to bulk move objects to another layer in T:ANE, even if you have the wrong layer active, it now only takes a few clicks to set things right.

Back