TANE World Origin Lat and Long reset when exit surveyor

davemare

I am building a prototype route and have attempted to use the World Origin Coordinates function. When I enter Lat, Long and altitude, data is accepted and all is well with a save. When I exit surveyor and run session from main screen, the Lat,Long and Altitude reset to defaults when I check back into Surveyor. Is anyone aware is this a bug or is there a secret to retaining this data? I noticed posts back in 2007, but nothing recently in forum search

Second question, can I correct the compass as I am 180 degrees out of sync? Seems to impact shadows

thanks

Dave
Columbia and Western RR

Back in time this question was posted. But there seems to be no answer. Is there any? I have the same problem now.

I was trying to work this out yesterday, My origin is set at 0 lat and 0 long, and I can't get it to change them, Even after ticking the co-ordinates box and reopening it the values are back to 0, 0.

The lat-long problem is why Trainz is just a model train game and not a real world train-sim.

Harold

The problem has not been fixed in TRS19. It still happens.

To fix it, you need to open the config file and change it back to zero. Save changes, apply, then open your route and you will be back at zero.

The point is: Does it makes any difference? Will it make the sunset and sunrise change accordig to the latitude? Is there a connection between the month of the year and the latitude? As we know, in the real World there is, but in Trainz?
Post #6 = You change the config and set it to "0". Then what? I can do that in the surveyor menu. I have the idea that according to the region, Trainz determines the geographic location and issues a set of coordinates, whether you like it or not.
Somebody created all this, and I haven't seen a detailed logic of how it is supposed to work. At least not lately.

The point is: Does it makes any difference? Will it make the sunset and sunrise change accordig to the latitude? Is there a connection between the month of the year and the latitude? As we know, in the real World there is, but in Trainz?
Post #6 = You change the config and set it to "0". Then what? I can do that in the surveyor menu. I have the idea that according to the region, Trainz determines the geographic location and issues a set of coordinates, whether you like it or not.
Somebody created all this, and I haven't seen a detailed logic of how it is supposed to work. At least not lately.

It does for me - doing quick math in my head (addition/subtraction) from zero is much easier than it is from 1008. Yes, 1008 is what it seems to change to from zero for some strange reason.

The problem has not been fixed in TRS19. It still happens.

I have to disagree. A few days ago I set the world origin values for a route I am working on in TRS19 and, after reading your comment, I just reloaded the route and checked its world origin settings. They are unchanged from what I entered.

I agree with llebrez, apart from setting the seasons (North or South) and the snow effects (altitude) the world origin makes no difference.

Curiously, I sent off a bug report on this matter and just received the following response (that was quick).

Thank you for reporting this. QA has been able to verify this issue resolved in the current SP3 release.

Now I have build 94916, the latest retail TANE SP3 release. Perhaps they are referring to the latest SP3 HF1 beta.

I have to disagree. A few days ago I set the world origin values for a route I am working on in TRS19 and, after reading your comment, I just reloaded the route and checked its world origin settings. They are unchanged from what I entered.

I agree with llebrez, apart from setting the seasons (North or South) and the snow effects (altitude) the world origin makes no difference.

Sorry, I'm talking about ground level changing. My bad.

Last edited:
As some people discovered recently in another thread, the World Origin in any version of Trainz does NOT tolerate Zero (Null) value Lat and Long settings.
As long as you set the values to something other than Null Island - and within the restricted Latitude boundaries set by the Devs - you will see that sunlight source direction and shadows do change to reflect them.
It does not, however, change the time of simulated sunrise and sunset from the preset defaults of 6am and 6pm no matter what your settings are for latitude or longitude.

Read what the Trainz Wiki has to say about this matter: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Environment_Tools

Last edited:
I can confirm the problem in TANE. However, the problem has been fixed in TRS19.

If you can confirm the problem with TANE now, then why do you not understand my question that you evaded me off on this post, the underlying question points to the same problem... https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?150217-Reset-Route-Environment-Date-to-Today

I used the latitude/longitude setting and it completely erased one of my routes trying to fix this problem. And I dont think its fixed in TRS19. You say 'Oh you have to be in Session' well that's a poor answer that does not hold water, It don't work there correctly either. This is the same question, only different. The OP wants to have a world coordinate. I want it to be specific to my location when I open my PC. Either way its not a static setting. Its based on the Time, Date, GPS Coordinates for the PC at any time and date in the future. If a user ants to use the game in the year 2025 and XYZ coordinates, at the exact time of day the program was started. There should be a 'I did not specify a coordinate or date or time' and the 'Simulation' should be able to know where its at (like a GPS) and load that variable. Otherwise, please reread my original question from the link above.

The question is how do I remove a time,date, xyz coordinate once its set, to a user device aware 'GPS' coordinate? Like, hey here I am let's start 'here'. Thank you

The other thread was about the date. My reading of this thread is that it is about the geographic coordinates. The date is stored in the session data as was discussed in that thread. I never really considered where the geographic coordinates were stored but I suspect, from my recent experiments, that they are stored in the route. My one attempt to set the geographic coordinates in TRS19 worked perfectly - ie those same coordinates have reloaded each time.

I will have another look when I get back to my Trainz computers in a few hours.

Now, after performing the same tests with world origin and date settings in both TANE (build 94916) and TRS19 (build 98592), I can report the following conclusions:-

Tests (in both TANE and TRS19):

1. Created a route and set the world origin. I did not alter the date. Saved the route.
  2. Created two different sessions based on that route. Each session had a different date (month and day). This data was saved in the session as evidenced by the fact that after changing the date I selected Save from the main menu and only the option to overwrite the existing session or to create a new session appeared.
  3. Completely exited TANE/TRS19 to the Windows desktop

TRS19:

1. Loading just the route showed today's date. The world origin coordinates were as I had set them.
  2. Loading each session showed the correct date set for that session. The world origin coordinates were as I had set them.

TANE:

1. Loading just the route showed today's date. All the world origin coordinates had been changed to 0. Interestingly, the East/West and North/South settings were still correct.
  2. Loading each session showed the correct date set for that session. All the world origin coordinates had been changed to 0. Again, the East/West and North/South settings were still correct.

Last edited:
The question is how do I remove a time,date, xyz coordinate once its set, to a user device aware 'GPS' coordinate? Like, hey here I am let's start 'here'. Thank you

The answer, as far as I can work out, is that you cannot have the xyz coordinates automatically "picked up" from some GPS device attached to the computer. The Trainz Native Interface does not, as far as I know, handle GPS devices. As for the date I have found that once a date has been set it will always be set (but can be changed to another date). In my test above I did not set a date in the route so it, from past experience, will always default to the current (i.e. todays date). If you set a date in the route then that will become permanent in the route although session dates will overrule it.

Opening and reading the config.txt files for the sessions and route I created for the test did not reveal any date or world origin data.

Last edited:
In my case, (TANE) I don't have to save the session to get the "0's". Click on the W.O. asset, and a menu opens with some coordinates that according to Wiki are from Berlin (?). So, I change these to my coordinates manually. They are taken from Google Earth. Then I click the tick at the bottom to accept and the menu goes away. When you open it again everything is back to "0". Click on reset and the Berlin coordinates are restored. If this "feature" has no effect on time of sunrise/sunset, then why bother? Leave it to whatever it decides to be. Of course it would be more interesting if changing the latitude, and given the month of the year, sunrise and s.set would change to more realistic times. But the 6 AM and 6PM are unchangeable, for good or bad.

The answer, as far as I can work out, is that you cannot have the xyz coordinates automatically "picked up" from some GPS device attached to the computer. The Trainz Native Interface does not, as far as I know, handle GPS devices.

I figured as much, could be a cool asset script to build in the future for location aware systems, if there is a way to set that from a script... someday.

As for the date I have found that once a date has been set it will always be set (but can be changed to another date). In my test above I did not set a date in the route so it, from past experience, will always default to the current (i.e. todays date). If you set a date in the route then that will become permanent in the route although session dates will overrule it.

This is the one that drives me crazy. If you can set it, it must set it somewhere. I have a route that when I choose to QuickDrive it fro Surveyor, it asks me to save the Route and Session, then opens in Driver with the environment set to today's date. That is what I like. One Route that I made, I made the mistake of changing the date, always opens up in QuickDrive with at old date (not today) unless I change it before I load the QuickDrive. So all the seasonal stuff is locked into that date. Drives Me Crazy !

Another thing I see is that the time is always 10:00am in QucikDrive when I launch it on my Routes

The good news is that the lat/long problem has been resolved in TANE SP3 HF1 (beta) - build 98700.

I have just completed patching TANE SP3 from build 94916 to build 98700 and I repeated the test as described above. On reloading the route the world origin values I had set were retained.

Back