Layout Bashing or how to get more enjoyment out of Trianz Model Railroad....

Revised the layout of the maintenance facility by moving the storage tank to the other side of the offices so I could use the area for misc. equipment:

MEGA City posting...finished doing the main detailing on the city section but will add some here and there. Enjoy the following shots..the first shot is approaching "Center City" from Brazemore Yard with each following shot going from the right side to the left side.....

8dc423de3ab0920676eebb72b1b5ad88.png

b94d2222d2555f80ddf0a1ae64856cad.png

c3ccd71702ac2f0f7b37b117e067d69e.png

15a9352d04c8ec3cd914de9616974b9e.png

fb2030232020ca4a89437702d0cc950c.png

Last edited:
And the last set.....

The depth of the city seems to be just right for running the trainz....4 stations, engine service and maintenance facilities plus freight operations if you want.....

A special thanks for the folks at Jointedrails.com for all the useful freeware and payware accessories they have available.....check them out if you haven't already, your sure to find something that can be added to your route or layout. And also a big thanks to Dave Snow for his Amtrak stations and amazing vehicles/buildings that he creates for the masses......the man has the golden touch !

Last edited:
Video Added:

A mostly cab view ride along the NEW passenger friendly Brazemore Yard Layout in TMR17 that I modified. You are driving a NJ Transit Arrow Cab car, no stops today just a quick tour past Center City and around the layout. All Aboard !!! This new edition of the Brazemore Yard is for all the passenger fans out there and you still can have freight operations if you so desire. A well balanced layout with loco facilities, a new separate maintenance facility and an added station for Center City.

Last edited:
I've been watching your work on this thread and also an your various You Tube postings and they are truly inspirational. Thank you very much for sharing your hard work.

I've been watching your work on this thread and also an your various You Tube postings and they are truly inspirational. Thank you very much for sharing your hard work.

Thank you.....I hope that people can use something from these posts....even if you don't make routes you can always build over them and still create something unique....

TMR17 NJT Part 2, Overhead view heading away from Center City of the passenger version of the Brazemore Yard layout I modified. Showing most of the areas that were redone that appears in the Trainz forum. Includes Center City, Amtrak maintenance and loco service areas, 4 stations, camping scenes, etc........

Like the site seeing run around the layout:

Great curves, no sharp spots noted.

Nice roll action in the cab, and when you went thru switches at high speed, extra roll action noted, right on, not overdone.

Very small frame flutter, that's great, shows your computer runs this route well.

Nice work crew action out there doing the MOW to keep the rails safe. This is exactly what I would expect to see on busy mainlines such as yours!

That one White and Blue Van, was parked awful close to the mainline tracks as we tore by. LOL

You sure do have a nice collage of Downtown City Buildings packed in perfectly, gives nice depth and perception in a small area.

TMR17 NJT Part 2, Overhead view heading away from Center City of the passenger version of the Brazemore Yard layout I modified. Showing most of the areas that were redone that appears in the Trainz forum. Includes Center City, Amtrak maintenance and loco service areas, 4 stations, camping scenes, etc........

You just gave me another great idea, as I was watching your video, I saw this planted row section between the Road below and main line on top where train is.

I never thought of texturing a section like that, it looks perfect and makes sense on how it looks great terraced in such a way it protects potential Soil erosion issues.

Thanks Blue,

Regarding your comment on the city, that's what I wanted it to achieve. I used a lot of model railroading techniques that seem to go well digitally. I am going to be posting a short video of just a camera moving around the layout and city. I have added some more details since I posted the last pix here...notably now the city has some street lights, etched crossings on a road, maintenance facility more filled with related items....more heavy equipment in scenes...etc..etc....

Getting back to the techniques....if you noticed very closely the mobile office with the girl standing out by the door by the distribution center is now lowered to make the city buildings appear taller, also by adding several buildings depth wise and going from low to higher vs the opposite also gives the impression of a bigger city. Using the Japanese buildings from TMR17 with smaller windows and doors gives even more of a spread out city especially if you compare the city area to the previous freight version I made of the Brazemore layout....even though that was detailed the buildings were more spread out and more individual.

Also by luck...the mobile homes set against the back wall also give some depth to the layout another model rr trick..using the elevation to your advantage. That also includes the camping scenes and in particular the one at the edge of the layout board....having the camera at the level gives a whole new perspective as well.

I wanted a city theme for the passenger version and thought by removing those brick buildings and grain elevator I was able to create the appearance of good sized city that not only is a backdrop but is functional. I had initially wanted to keep the brick industries and place the city over the Grain Corp area in the back but after a little playing around I came to the conclusion it would look better where it is now. Surprisingly once I started the new location I managed to finish it in under 2 hours with the building placement, almost everything seemed to fall into place as I chose the buildings. Now on the other hand, detailing is extremely time consuming. Especially replacing or planting over all those ugly bush splines with more realistic looking ones.....still on going and frame rates are suffering because of that vs. the actual buildings themselves but the new bushes definitely add to the overall quality of the layout and are a visual improvement (compare the newer pix/vids with the older ones and you'll see the difference)

So keep an eye out for some of the "detailed" area videos that highlight specific sections.....
:D

Last edited:
You just gave me another great idea, as I was watching your video, I saw this planted row section between the Road below and main line on top where train is.

I never thought of texturing a section like that, it looks perfect and makes sense on how it looks great terraced in such a way it protects potential Soil erosion issues.

That actually is part of the original Brazemore Yard layout that comes with TMR17. I left it alone because I had the same thoughts as you, lol.

Last edited:
Making signs out of signs.....below is the maintenance crew office. As you can see it has "MAINTENANCE" displayed in black lettering and then the same on a white background.

But the signs did not come with the model. So here are some easy steps that can be applied universally to different objects making them a little more realistic:

Step 1: Choose the model you want and sign you want (Example: Station name sign 1 white black is the sign I chose from my surveyor screen)

After your sign is selected use the "?" button and enter the name or words you want

Next use the height adjustment tool and object movement tool under the plus sign to adjust where you want to place your sign....take your time in adjusting it...as you can see for the black letters only to show I moved
the sign further back into the building model or for the lettering to appear on the white background I did not move it as far....

Update: Scene details.....
dfd308590ad7307e7cf48b15cc834a4f.png

Changed a dump truck to one in the upright position and added another dump truck along with some mud/dirt tracks

Added details to the maintenance yard such as rr ties, sand, rails etc....

One more dump truck to the mix.............

Added "stop" etching on pavement by tracks along with a rr crossing stop sign

Added newspapers by the dumpster and some green barrels plus a no trespassing sign to the right of the warehouse door

Added a monument in front of the McDonald's with some people and some tables and chairs

Added some streetlights and sign by the benches

Added a "one way" sign and changed name of café to "Tequila Kitten" sign, vehicles also facing correct way now

Added some more details to the Roadway repair shop

Last edited:
More details:

Addeda rusted out tow truck in the back of the small lot

Added details to station....Coke machine, ticket machine, USA Today paper stand and signage and a bench

9499d8875e075293a52b472a95d2ccdd.png

Added abandoned platform across from station with rr ties and rails and plates along with weeds and of course converted a ton of the pointed bush splines to more realistic looking ones...

Last edited:
Back