Handbrake

jpereira

When I decouple a locomotive, how do I ahnbrake the wagons?
Sometimes they (the wagons) just began to move alone ...

Handbrake in Cab Control Mode

When you are in the "Cab Contol Mode", how do you set the handbrake. The "A" key seems to only work when in "DCC Mode"

Before you uncouple from a train make a full application of the train brake. When you've uncoupled from the train you can click on the wagon and then press A. That will apply the handbrake on that wagon. Remember it's a toggle switch so if you press A again you'll release the handbrake!

Cheers

Nix

hello newb question

I'm a big fan of rail yard session, sorting, making consist and stuff but when in cab mode I can't figure out how to properly uncouple a car while moving then reverse direction and let gravity pull the car to the building consist or just stop. The cars just take off depending on the grade and direction. I use the A key in dcc mode but you cannot in cab mode you have to apply brakes uncouple and then hit the A key. Also it seems if you try to apply the brakes > uncouple > handbrake > recouple for the push first, the game releases the hand brake when the couplers engage so your back to square one. Am I missing something or is this aspect of railroading not available in cab mode?

Thanks everybody.

I'm a big fan of rail yard session, sorting, making consist and stuff but when in cab mode I can't figure out how to properly uncouple a car while moving then reverse direction and let gravity pull the car to the building consist or just stop. The cars just take off depending on the grade and direction. I use the A key in dcc mode but you cannot in cab mode you have to apply brakes uncouple and then hit the A key. Also it seems if you try to apply the brakes > uncouple > handbrake > recouple for the push first, the game releases the hand brake when the couplers engage so your back to square one. Am I missing something or is this aspect of railroading not available in cab mode?

Thanks everybody.

Okay, these following tips are based on the idea that you want the cars to coast to a stop.

"The cars just take off depending on the grade and direction."

Well, that's exactly what they are going to do if you are going to release the cars on the fly. It's kind of a trial-and-error thing to find out exactly how fast to be going and when you decouple the cars.

"in cab mode you have to apply brakes uncouple and then hit the A key."

I thought you could uncouple the cars on the fly. Or is it that you don't want to leave the cab to uncouple the cars because you worry that the loco will run away if you aren't giving it constant attention? If that's the case, then set the loco in notch 1 (or just enough to barely make the consist move if you're in a steam engine), then switch to external view, uncouple the cars, and stop the loco with keyboard commands ("S" to reduce the throttle, "Q" to apply brakes. If the space is too short to do this, get your train up to 2 or 3 mph, put the throttle in idle, then decouple and stop.

Sometimes you have to take it slow to get it in the right place, so don't try doing this at 10 mph until you're seasoned with this.

(PS if any of this sounds like I think you're stupid, then sorry in advance:wave: )

Practice it is.

Thanks for your help Ferrous. I geuss a little practice wouldn't hurt. I guess my problem is that it's so easy to make errors when sorting in dcc mode and correcting it just by clicking the car and then the a key that I got spoiled. I don't know exactly how it's done in the real world but I have watched sorting before and the cars act like they have no brakes at all, they just roll so maybe this is more realistic. Anyway, thanks again.

regards

I've tried this repeatedly in Cabin mode and the A key does not work! The stock rolls away after about 1 minute. I've also tried the apostrophe, comma and x keys with the same result. There are lots of posts on this problem but I haven't found one which works in Cabin mode. (DCC mode works fine.)

I've tried all the solutions in this and other threads to keep rolling stock in place in Cabin mode. None of the suggestions work (Not A, Comma, apostrophe or X. These work in DCC mode only.) I would love a good answer from someone from Trainz. (I'm running 2004.)
Thanks!

I don't know exactly how it's done in the real world but I have watched sorting before and the cars act like they have no brakes at all, they just roll so maybe this is more realistic. Anyway, thanks again.

regards

In the real world the sort of shunting you're refering to is accomplished by not having the air brake hoses coupled between the locomotive and wagons. The shunter gets the driver to push the train with the loco and then lifts the uncoupling lever while giving the driver a stop signal. The train then rolls away until it either runs into another wagon or somebody puts the handbrake on. In hump yards there are speed retarders to control the speed of the wagons.

In Trainz whenever a locomotive couples to a wagon it automatically puts the air brake hoses together so when you uncouple the loco the train comes to a stop as the air brakes automatically apply. As in the real world if handbrakes aren't applied after a while the brakes leak off and they roll away. Westinghouse only certified their air brakes for holding the train without handbrakes for around 20 minutes from memory. In Trainz it's much less.

Hope this helps you understand the problem.

Railwayz

Last edited:
i use the ; key in cab mode - only problem is in TS12 you cant do anything to a consist not controlled by your player, so a decoupled consist wont do anything.

G'day Erickoskoff,
As a fellow 2004 user let me tell you what I do to stop uncoupled consists from running away down hills etc. Bring the train to a complete stop with a full application of the brakes, then using "Control "D"" to uncouple where you want to separate from, click on the coupling, return to cab mode and release the brakes (note that you only release the brakes AFTER uncoupling) and then move the loco etc away. This should leave the remaining carriages at a standstill until you next couple to them, if ever. Hope this is what you are looking for.

Cheers
Russell.

Last edited:
I have also learnt that one should not be in a hurry , the brake pipe pressure takes long to build up, especially on a long train.
I think that is why you see the 'wait for 5 seconds' command in A1 when coupling or decoupling takes place.

handbrakes

whenever i use realistic mode, my handbrakes always set me back, it doesn't matter how many engines or cars, it won't move. i've been using dcc mode cause of there not being automatically applied handbrakes, but i made a bunch of the spots on my route for the sole purpose of realistic mode. and the only way to release the, is to do them all, once at a time, and it is very annoying when i have a 200+ car train, i don't even bother doing past 20 cause it takes so long. IF anyone is able to tell me how to disable them, or how to them all at once, that would be great, thank you.

Back