Can't get multiple engines to go fast

kaw4014

I want to make large consists with modern Class 1 locomotives that also go fast because I'm building La Plata, MO. The trains go fast through La Plata, and sometimes with monster consists. When I try making engine consists with multiple engines - especially ones from different sources, they don't go more than 30-40 mph and I need them to go double that. I've done some testing, and I can't get a power move to go more than 30-40. How do I make my trains go fast? (...with long-ish trains)

The issue most likely has to do with the engine specs. Some are better than others as we've found out with a lot of things with Trainz. You can change the engine specs without editing the engine's config.txt file by getting the properties on the locomotives you want to change by opening up the trains pull-out menu (Classic Surveyor) and then using the ? on the locomotive.

Where it says Engine Default, click on that and a drop-down scroll box appears with various engine specs to choose from.

I want to make large consists with modern Class 1 locomotives that also go fast because I'm building La Plata, MO. The trains go fast through La Plata, and sometimes with monster consists. When I try making engine consists with multiple engines - especially ones from different sources, they don't go more than 30-40 mph and I need them to go double that. I've done some testing, and I can't get a power move to go more than 30-40. How do I make my trains go fast? (...with long-ish trains)
One thing you will understand in time with Trainz, is that adding more engines does not mean you can build up speed, you actually build up torque, Sometimes i built a 20,000 tons freight and i may use 12 or 16 electric engines, so many engines will not give me more speed but they help to maintain the torque when the gradient goes more than 2%-3%. So actually in game and in reality more engines give you better acceleration and better braking distance to stop your freight but never more top speed than the standard a single engine can reach. You can change the type of engine as JCitron suggests so to add a faster engine type or you can explain to us what kind of trains are running in La Plata MO so you find the appropriate ones.

A solution in TANE is to add either more repeater signals or place invisible ones if your distance between your signal "A" and signal "B" is quite long. There is a limit to how far the AI can 'see forward'. If it determines the next signal is out of reach it will default to a 'safe' 40mph. I do recall that someone actually posted what that limit was but Try my suggestion on one piece of your track and drive it to see what happens.

Doug

Your right, JCitron, changing the engine specs to all the same engine worked like a charm, now they're going too fast. Thank you!

Back