Fan speed on GTX 970

Firefighterdan

343 NEVER FORGET
I installed an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 in my pc a couple months ago. I noticed when I launch a game, the fans spool up to about 80% within two minutes or so. Is there a box ticked, or a setting someplace I have not seen that has the fans running that fast? Thank you, Danny

I have the same problem with my Asus 970. The real issue is that the game makes your GPU run incredibly hot. You likely won't have this issue with nearly any other game though.

I installed an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 in my pc a couple months ago. I noticed when I launch a game, the fans spool up to about 80% within two minutes or so. Is there a box ticked, or a setting someplace I have not seen that has the fans running that fast? Thank you, Danny

What driver are you using as there have been some bad ones, fan speed being one of the many bugs as well as overheating, high idle temperatures, last two Nvidia updates are bug ridden. One has been pulled and replaced by one which is nearly as bad.

Which exact GTX 970 models do you have? I have a GTX 980, Super Clocked, with Active Cooling 2.0. This comes with dual fans and more efficient heat sink. So, do your GPUs have more than one fan? Do you have another card blocking it from another slot adjacent to your GPU?

Not a problem here, also with a GTX970, I avoid bad drivers! Twin Fans, idles at 28 RPM with around 35C, runs around 75C when running TANE on high settings fans at 65%, they are very quiet, leastwise can't hear them over the case fans.

Last edited:
Not a problem here, also with a GTX970, I avoid bad drivers! Twin Fans, idles at 28 RPM with around 35C, runs around 75C when running TANE on high settings fans at 65%, they are very quiet, leastwise can't hear them over the case fans.

Funny thing is, it's been like this since last May, and with every version of TANE after that. Nothing to do with drivers. My gpu runs quietly since it's the strix version, meant to be silent with every game, except TANE, which brings GPU temps up to 80-81C, and GPU usage up to 99%. It has a somewhat high idle temp, but that's simply because it doesn't run the fans when the GPU isn't under load. Very efficient GPU, very inefficient game. Simple as that.

My heat and fan speeds are similar to Clam1952's machine. My CPU runs at 54-60C and my GTX780 only once or twice went up to 83C, but since the last update I've seen only the 60-70C range.

If you are seeing heat like this and noisy fans, I would check for dirt, fur, and fuzz. A good system case, heat sink, and fan cleaning might be in order.

If you do decide to get some canned air, I recommend placing a stirrer or some other small stick into the fans before blasting the air to prevent the fan blades from spinning faster than the motors can handle. If you don't do this, you risk ruining the bushings and bearings, or breaking the fan blades from the hub.

John

I was thinking more along the lines of cat hair being clogged in my computer that I clean monthly that has dust filters on every fan intake.

Who do you think you're fooling exactly

cat-hait-everywhere_o_637776.jpg

No dust, but my sound card is right up against it. That could have something to do with it......:confused:
Seriously? You really need to think about this one. LOL :hehe:

IF it is like this situation, you basically are killing the intake of half the air needed by the GPU:
LL

Let's hope it doesn't look like this inside! I have actually run into this inside a few computers after people asked me to find out why their machines were running very slow, and crashing. :eek:

Back