Numbering of Base Board Grids

cyberdirk

I am loosing track of industries in a large layout. Is there any way of numbering the base boards? That way I could keep a list open in the background.
Thanks!

You might have to revert back to one of the early forms of communications, paper and pencil. Create a list or timetable of your towns, junctions, sidings, major industries, etc., beginning at the top/north of your route and work south. If you have mile markers you could also include that information.

Regards,

Look for "C+ Note" by itareus on the DLS. I use these renamables for all sorts of thinks eg. labelling baseboard edges North etc. They could equally be used for naming/numbering baseboards - and they are 'Surveyor only'.

Ray

You could also put in small re-namable signs, which are usually used for station platforms or along the trackside to name junctions and locations. In your case, you could put down a signs that have 1, 2, 3, etc. on them, for as many as you need.

I wouldn't name every baseboard, and only name those that are useful for finding industries and what not. I would think though that these would become redundant as time goes on because after awhile you begin to know the location of towns, platforms, industries and industries in your virtual world.

I agree with jkinzel (John) that a pad of paper, or some scrap paper, along with a pencil will suffice and is a heck of a lot less work than placing a gazillion signs. :)

John

Internally, Trainz keeps track of baseboards by ordering them in the order in which they were created, so that, regardless of the location of the second board you place relative to the first, it is the second board. Personally, I keep track of baseboards by using an alpha numeric grid system. If I were planning a large route, I'd assign the first baseboard of a route the designation M100, as in Column M, row 100. Boards in rows with smaller numeric designations (e.g. 87) are below, and those with higher numeric designations (e.g. 142) are above. Letters earlier in the alphabet than "M" are in columns to the left, and those later in the alphabet are to the right.

The exact designation of the first board might vary depending upon the size of the route. If I were planning a mega-route, and intending to let my whim guide where its size and shape, I might start assign the first board "MM500" or even "MMM1000".

As far as during the construction process, you can use features of the geology of the route-in-progress, for example, naming boards for the rivers, hills, mountains, and other geological features they might contain, or in other ways. For example, a baseboard containing a single specimen of a single large tree in a board that otherwise consists of grassland might be called "Tall Tree". Finally, if you have some content creation ability, you can create your own markers.

ns

Back