It was 10 years ago today....

Can you still get games in that store as I live near Brixton and want to get some sims ther if they have it

Sadly Woolworths has gone (2008). I think there is a Gamesmaster on Brixton Rd, but I think you'd be lucky to find any Trainz related stuff.

Paul

Thanks for the responses - always good to see how people got into Trainz. There seem to be a lot of large stores and bargain bins involved! :D

Paul

I must say paul that the present large project I am presently doing would never have been possible elsewhere and i am very pleased years ago to go searching for another rail sim away from MS.

Bobby

Sadly Woolworths has gone (2008). I think there is a Gamesmaster on Brixton Rd, but I think you'd be lucky to find any Trainz related stuff.

Paul
Woolworths is now long gone I just found out
I have popped into GamesMaster before, but no Trainz was present.
What stores in london do you think sell Trainz?

These days there seem to be fewer and fewer shops selling anything, apart from mobile phones! I recall seeing MSTS and Trainz on sale in PCWorld up in Warren Street years ago, but nothing recently. I guess the days of accidentally coming across Trainz in the store and making an impulse buy could be a thing of the past....:(

Paul

Ah the memories this brings back. It was back in the summer of 2002, Aug 10 to be exact, that I was in a Compusmart store and parted with $64.99. In exchange I got something that has gone on to be my longest running computer story. In the month previous I had found MSTS and while I was enthralled to see a train move on the screen due to my command, I was struggling to build my own route. So when I saw the Trainz box, I immediately ran home to look up the company, find out who they were and what this Trainz was all about. What I read was enough for me to take a chance and buy it.

Interesting that the box also came with a free model Railroader magazine offer inside plus a copy of Gmax.
Trainz original.jpgTrainz CD.jpg

Needless to say, I've been a Trainzer ever since.

Last edited:
Great stuff! I like the way this thread has turned into "how I came across Trainz for the first time..." Any other stories out there (ideally involving now defunct superstores and methods of shopping that have now died out!)

Paul

I found a copy of Trainz 2006, Focus interactive distribution if I recall. In a Woolworths of all places back in 2008. :)

Jack

Some years back, I was playing Railroad Tycoon 2 and was looking to move on. I did find Railroad Tycoon 3 on sale in PCWorld and went to get it. I did buy it but whilst there I found Trainz 2004 for £10 and decided to get that as well. The upshot is that I put Tycoon 3 away after finding how poor it was compared to 2. I started Trainz and that was it, no ther Rail Sims have entered these portals since that day. :D About 1 week later, again at PCWorld I bought Trainz 2009 for £10. The best thing was finding I could make my own assets and share them. No longer though. Any assets now are kept on a website I have. I bought TS12 only for checking compatability. Still use 2009 SP3 for building routes, my favourite version. I now have 6 versions of Trainz on the system, again just for compatibity and DLS availability checks.

My first copy was of trainz 2004 which was on display while I was at the National Railway Museum at York and some people were displaying it on a computer and there were copies of it available in the site shop. stayed with it right though to Tane despite gnashing my teeth a few times over various problems with the software over the years

Back