Need some advice for a new website project...

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Hi Trainzers,

I'm after a bit of advice here. It may not seem Trainz related at first but it will be.

I'm planning to merge all my Trainz A New Era related tutorials into one place on a new subdomain on my trainztutorials.com.

I have hit a bit of a stumbling block though. I'm trying to find a CMS (content management system) tool that will allow me to make a site with quite a bit of content as well as being able to make it multilingual without too much work on the translation side if possible.

I'm also looking for it to be free if possible or if not for a fairly low one-off fee.

Has anyone got any ideas? I currently use CMS Made Simple which handles my current sites well but doesn't seem to help much on the multilingual side. I have also looked into Wordpress but it appears that the site requires you to use a subdomain of their site which is not ideal for me as I'm trying to minimise the amount of extra addresses for users to remember.

In terms of the technical side, my webhost supports PHP (currently set at 5.3 but can be changed to 5.2/5.4/5.5/5.6 if required, although I'm not sure what the effect on my existing sites will be yet on that front), Perl, and to a certain extent ASP.NET. On the database side, MySQL 5.5 and PostgreSQL are supported by my webhost. I also have the ability to install Frontpage Extensions onto the site if needed, and the operating system is according to my webhost a proprietary *nix system (which I am assuming is a form of Unix or Linux)

Any suggestions are welcome. If you need any further information, I can get hold of it fairly quickly so ask away.

Shane

EDIT: It appears that my webhost may also support Python too.

Last edited:
Thought you were going to have a break Shane ?, Why not put a spot aside on your website to show us what interest's you have away from Trainz. Which in turn may help you relax a bit more and open up to other subject's non-Trainz related.
Cheers Mick.

I am having a break, although I'm doing a couple of website projects during the break. In terms of my own personal site, that's another project I'm looking into as well.

Shane

Have a look a Joomla Shane, supports just about any Language Open Source so it's free and it works!

Have a look a Joomla Shane, supports just about any Language Open Source so it's free and it works!

I would avoid Joomla - I have been trying to work with it for my Father's website, and it is ever so tedious and slow to use. And one has to pay extra for the documentation!

This is the site I have been working on, please note that I maintain it and that I was not the one who constructed the vast majority of it.
http://www.premiercricket.com.au/

If you're going to go through a site-creator like Joomla, I would personally recommend you instead look at Jimdo or Wix and see if they meet your needs. :)

Kieran.

Thankyou for the advice Kieran. I'm a bit wary of using a third-party hosting site that's separate from my current one to avoid confusion with my existing sites but I'm not ruling it out.

Shane

I would avoid Joomla - I have been trying to work with it for my Father's website, and it is ever so tedious and slow to use. And one has to pay extra for the documentation!

This is the site I have been working on, please note that I maintain it and that I was not the one who constructed the vast majority of it.
http://www.premiercricket.com.au/

If you're going to go through a site-creator like Joomla, I would personally recommend you instead look at Jimdo or Wix and see if they meet your needs. :)

Kieran.

Never had to pay for any documentation Joomla is open source, Docs are on the Website / wiki https://docs.joomla.org/
It's far from slow in my experience.

Knowing you are pretty technical, I would say go "hard core" and back to basic: Using notepad and good old HTML code ;). Maybe some basic CSS if you really want to pimp things up.
Who needs a CMS if you are the only (technical) user of it?

Back