Installing a 2nd copy of Trainz 12 on PC

d0g

Hello all,

I am considering installing a second copy of Trainz 12 on my PC, for the purpose of having a Service Pack 1 version, and still being able to keep a version with the standard out-of-the box build #. Before I do so, I have a few questions...

I basically have an "out of the box" version of the game installed right now, build 49922. One of the main reasons I use the game is to run a custom route I am working on (100+ miles long), which I have been working on for years, and have put I don't know how many hundreds of hours into creating. I started it with Trainz 2010, and as such, it uses some content built for earlier versions, perhaps some from back as far as Trainz 2004 or Trainz 2006. It works flawlessly in Trainz 12 with the build I have.

Based on some feedback I have read on these forums regarding Service Pack 1, I am a little afraid of downloading it, because I don't want my route or any of its dependencies to get mucked up. I am looking at some payware content I'd really like to purchase, but it requires SP1, and I don't want to compromise my current setup by downloading it.

My PC has two hard drives: A 223 GB solid state drive, which has 92 GB still available, and is the drive where the OS files reside. I also have a 1 TB HDD, which has 837 GB available. Trainz 12 is currently on the HDD. Would I be able to make a second installation on the HDD without causing any conflicts with the version already there? Or would I need to install it to the SSD to keep them separated?

Also, would I be able to install it again and still be able to use the download helper to download content directly to it, since the serial number is already registered, obviously, to the original (current) installation?

Thank you all for your time, I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I venture into this.

Yes, so long as you install it in a separate folder. For example, all my Trainz have their own drive, and each main/testing install gets its own folder.

E:\TS12 (main)
E:\TS12B (SP1)
E:\TS12C (dep testing)
E:\TANE

...and so on. You use your original serial number each time and forum login details in CM on each install and they will all run fine. In fact, on occasion I have run multiple instances of Trainz alongside each other and haven't encountered any problems.

Cheerio,
Nicholas

Help please! I have established on notebook Трэйнз 12 version 52154 from company Akella. After a while has noticed, that I can not swing from station of loading
Any addition - download process unexpectedly interrupts and appears the message - unknows content error. With what it is connected I do not know.
Notebook Lenovo 3000 G530. All drivers of last versions. I leave in a network through wi fi.

If I understand your post correctly: the content has either been removed from the DLS or is of a higher build number than your current version of Trainz.

Back