DLS Cleanup changes under the radar

martinvk

since 10 Aug 2002
Back in Dec 2010 I started receiving notifications from N3VGames that some of my uploaded objects need to be updated. I made corrections and uploaded them. These emails continued until April 2013. Did they in fact stop or has my anti-spam filter been too aggressive?

Now while checking some of my uploaded assets, I see that 39 of them have been changed and re-uploaded on Jan 20 2015 by someone else.

Since I have been continuously active on these forums, it would not have been difficult to contact me before making any changes to my content. Unless I missed some emails, I would have appreciated the courtesy of being informed before these changes were made rather than finding out this way. :(

Could have been N3V themselves and not part of the usual DLS Clean-up process.

This is the sort of thing they do to your DLS assets if they become built-ins for a new version of Trainz. You only find out about it if you happen to buy that version and notice it, of if they later disgorge those built-ins back onto the DLS. They will sometimes have a bumped KUID version number that you were not previously aware of. And if your attempts at LOD didn't comply with the rules of the new Trainz, then they will do things like chop out entire levels to get a >20% reduction in polys, regardless of the visual impact on LOD transitions. An easy way to tell if it was N3V is the addition of various random 'foreign' language tags in the config.

Now while checking some of my uploaded assets, I see that 39 of them have been changed and re-uploaded on Jan 20 2015 by someone else.

AFAICT you currently have no assets in the list, and it doesn't appear there have been any for some time. That, together with the timing and the volume, makes it likely that it was part of the N3V preparation for T:ANE.

I check the lists weekly just in case, if you search on your own user ID or anyone else's for that matter you get anything for that ID listed.

An easy way to tell if it was N3V is the addition of various random 'foreign' language tags in the config.
The T:ANE connection sounds plausible based on the available evidence.

Perhaps I'll get around to updating them myself someday to bring them up to higher standards since most date back to TRS2004 and some even earlier to UTC and Tranz. Some of those early objects look rather primitive, if I do say so myself.

Back