Massive Performance issue in TANE

I've been considering the same. I always wait a bit after first release of anything to let the bugs get worked out and let the prices settle as well, but this time I'll be waiting a bit longer.

Today my budget got eaten by a hotbox. My Jeep's left brake caliper got stuck, started smoking, then caught fire when I pulled into my driveway. A quick splash with some water and a dowsing with the hose put it out.

To preserve your Trainz budget, consider doing the work yourself John. Was quoted $275 by my very honest mechanic for a complete rear brake overhaul.(cylinders and pads) With parts from Rock Auto and my own labor I came in at less than $25.
Mick

I tell everyone that working offline, by either disconnecting your Ethernet cable, turning off your wireless, or temporarily disabling your Network Connection (easily fixed by Netwiork and Sharing Center - Troubleshoot) ... or using Task manager (Ctrl Alt Del) and turning off Java Update, and any other un-needed program, cleaner update program, or antivirus ... This keeps all the intrusions from getting inside your PC, and cuts down on processes that are pinging your PC many times per second ... it really works

Restarting your PC restarts the turned off process's

I tell everyone that working offline, by either disconnecting your Ethernet cable, turning off your wireless, or temporarily disabling your Network Connection (easily fixed by Netwiork and Sharing Center - Troubleshoot) ... or using Task manager (Ctrl Alt Del) and turning off Java Update, and any other un-needed program, cleaner update program, or antivirus ... This keeps all the intrusions from getting inside your PC, and cuts down on processes that are pinging your PC many times per second ... it really works

Restarting your PC restarts the turned off process's

Working offline will work with some versions of T:ANE but not all which require a My Trainz account login in order to operate. To be honest with today's PCs it usually isn't necessary to operate offline for a performance gain. If you are seeing a major drop in performance with your machine connected to the network, I would start looking at other issues including other background processes, including malware.

To preserve your Trainz budget, consider doing the work yourself John. Was quoted $275 by my very honest mechanic for a complete rear brake overhaul.(cylinders and pads) With parts from Rock Auto and my own labor I came in at less than $25.
Mick

From a old back yard mechanic, I hope you turned the brake drums, or rotors too, lots of folks don't and there new parts don't mess correctly on old surface of Drums/Rotors.

Working offline will work with some versions of T:ANE but not all which require a My Trainz account login in order to operate. To be honest with today's PCs it usually isn't necessary to operate offline for a performance gain. If you are seeing a major drop in performance with your machine connected to the network, I would start looking at other issues including other background processes, including malware.
I can not detect any malware (but I am certain I have some, as my PC has been "Everywhere" it should have never have gone to) ! And all my other process's seem to be in System32

From a old back yard mechanic, I hope you turned the brake drums, or rotors too, lots of folks don't and there new parts don't mess correctly on old surface of Drums/Rotors.

Yup. I've seen that before. My ex-brother-in-law, note the ex part, used to fix stuff himself like brakes and even replaced some wheel bearings himself to save a few bucks. Well one day on his way to work, his wheel fell off because he didn't do the bearings properly... He also tried to do a wheel alignment using $20 calipers from Harbor Freight. These are calipers for measuring things and not for aligning wheels. There's a reason why garages use $30,000 laser systems. :)

To be honest I'd rather spend a few bucks and let our mechanic whose right down the street from me do the work. It's a lot safer and a lot less messy. There's nothing like laying out in the turkey poo and sand on the driveway and getting covered with grease!

The thing today was interesting because there was no real warning other than a bit of shudder while I was driving. There wasn't even a warning light indicating something wrong with the brakes, until they locked completely. We even thought it was the road at first because the road was recently paved. The way back from Newburyport to Haverhill was bumpier and I thought maybe the 4-wheel drive was sticking, which has happened in the past. I pulled over and fiddled with that, but it didn't help much for maybe a minute or two. The act of pulling over probably cooled down the caliper and pad enough to allow me to drive. I then pulled over again to check under the hood when I saw smoke, but I was a mile from my house so I went home. I then figured it must've been the brakes because everything worked fine when I turned right, but not straight or left, and there was that brake pad smell like locomotives have. When I pulled down my driveway, and I mean down the driveway, there was smoke and even flames coming out of the wheel when I pulled into the spot. I ran in the house, grabbed a bucked of water and put the flames out because we didn't even have the hose hooked up yet! My bro came out and put the hose on and cooled everything off.

It's a good thing I wasn't going fast on this trip - all of 25-30 mph both ways, and I'm glad this wasn't on the interstate otherwise we would have been in serious trouble. My trip would never be very fast anyway because you can't speed anywhere on this route due to all 4 of the local cops in Groveland lining Route 113 to pick off out of town folks. They even sit at the bridge between Haverhill Groveland and pull over drivers as they cross.

I relied on my fingers to test the smoothness of the drums. They seemed to be good enough, no grooves.
Of course you're right, all this kind of work is best done by a professional mechanic. Trouble in my case is that the repairs usually cost more than the car is worth!
Mick
PS apologies for veering off topic again, it seems to be a difficult habit to break!

Last edited:
CPU noodle

According to Chris Bergmann (Windwalkr) the lead programmer here for N3V, T:ANE is pretty heavy on the GPU so might want to reconsider that. Given that the Ti version is now going for what the base did last year, it's not a bad deal. I've even seen them a bit less from EVGA.

The other thing too is if you're overclocking your CPU, you might see a performance loss anyway because as the CPU heats up, it'll throttle its self down to prevent meltdown. It's a feature found in the Intel processors which has been there for years.

taking what you said to mind and heart, i overclocked my 3930k from 3.2 to 4.9Mhz to see if i could get a frame-rate rise. CPU cooler and CPU ID confirmed i was running at 4.9 when i entered trainz ( sub-60C using a zalman 2x140mm fan setup. )

IT had no effect of fraps FPS. none at all. lowering shadow quality -- as many have said here -- doubled FPS.

GTX 1080 TI should get here from Amazon by thursday. will update report.

mikemike - Yup! Just as we opined earlier in so many threads. T:ANE is predominantly GPU-centric and cares less about CPUs (though they are not altogether unimportant).

With a GTX 1080 Ti, you are about to witness the best possible improvement (in wringing the most out of T:ANE's performance potential) for all of your efforts so-far-to date!
Nothing beats throwing a more powerful GPU at this program.

too fast to stop to eat

mikemike - Yup! Just as we opined earlier in so many threads. T:ANE is predominantly GPU-centric and cares less about CPUs (though they are not altogether unimportant).

With a GTX 1080 Ti, you are about to witness the best possible improvement (in wringing the most out of T:ANE's performance potential) for all of your efforts so-far-to date!
Nothing beats throwing a more powerful GPU at this program.

ha. i hope so. i've always -- since the first Trainz, so many years back, built my new system to run Trainz. i'm not going to get too waiting for the millennium about it, but if i can get kickstarter Nickle-Plate high speed freight, all settings Maxed except shadows, 2560x1440 on an Asus PB278Q, to run at 60 FPS i'll feel blissed.

by the way, does Trainz need more than 60 FPS? i'm thinking, since i don't need a CPU/mobo/ddr 4 upgrade, that a good 144Hz monitor might be the next step? Looking at Asus PG278Q 27 ( i like this size for 2560x1440 ) 1ms monitor. not looking for cheap, just viewable hardware for my 70 year old eyes. will 144Hz help Tranz...? they mostly seem to market them for first person shooters. some vids of Grand Theft Auto V seem to be in the same spline land as Trainz?

thanks.

You'll need to wear a hairnet and goggles - it's so fast!

:cool:mikemike - You are going to be very pleased - I have a GTX 1070 and it runs T:ANE with all of the settings set to high or ultra (whichever is the highest option) including ultra shadows and high draw distances with very high frame rates (triple digits mostly on my routes) and smoothly.
The Pascal GTX 1080 Ti is considerably more powerful again and has faster GDDR5x memory than the 1080 it succeeds.
Nonetheless - you don't actually need 60FPS (or more) with T:ANE - just smooth frames without tearing.
My card is excellent at 2560 by 1440 and blazingly fast at 1080p. Your new one will handle 4K resolutions better than any other gaming card with the possible exception of the new, all-stops-out Titan Xp (a $1200 card!).
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back