Forum down

@clam1952

Thanks for the advice. I've had a look at how this works here: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

I don't use a router, so I think I'll live with the problem for now in the hope that these Forum breaks are just temporary. I have an uncanny knack of messing things up every time I introduce something new. It might be one for the future though.

Do you have to sign into Google to get this? I'm not registered with them, and have no intention of doing so.

Nope no need to sign in to Google or create an account, servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Full list of free DNS servers on link below if anyone wants to avoid Google, OpenDNS is pretty good used it for a couple of years with my last ISP who had slow DNS servers.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/free-public-dns-servers.htm

Malc,

Thanks for the tip about Google's DNS addresses. :wave: I connected to the forums at work without changing anything (after a flushdns), but at home was still getting server not found (stupid Verizon). After changing the DNS servers as you suggested - viola! I'm back again! Now to continue with TANE testing... :D

Andrew

ALL Auran related websites were down ALL NIGHT for me. DLS, Forum, Main, PA, since 9:00 pm yesterday. I'm now able to get on now.. Strange.....

Last edited:
Just to clarify further, We had issues with our old DNS provider causing us to rapidly move all of auran.com's DNS over to a new more reliable DNS provider. This then required the DNS to propagate again, for some people that would have happened within an hour or so, for others it can take a lot longer as its all reliant on the settings of each DNS server on the internet (some grab new records hourly, some grab it daily for example).

We apologize for any inconvenience caused but unfortunately that was our only choice. 99% of people should now have full access again.

On the plus side getting onto this more stable and reliable service does mean we can look into some new speed optimizations in future for some of our sites.

-Spiffy

I think it finally came back online for good in the tiny 15th century Country of Ubetcha'Stan-The Duchy of Grand Fenwick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYMuJDajujc

cycle+tramsmiiter.gif

I felt as if I was stranded on Gilligan's Island

Last edited:
Guys if you have any problems with staff members, please take them to the helpdesk to get resolved rather than on the forums.

What happened to my post?:confused:

Here's the message again:

Thanks Trainz team for explaining the reason for the outages.

All seems to be working OK so far today.

Cheers
Casper

I already apologized to Phimat in a PM, I meant nothing of it, I was just joking ... When the Forums go down it makes one appreciate the internet, and how cut off you are when outages occur.

If not already shown, I got this in an email:

Hi Paul

Starting next week, Planet Auran will be changing. Get to know how this will affect you and what to expect by reading the Trainz Update below.

Planet Auran is Changing

For a long time, Planet Auran has been the center of the Trainz experience, loosely tying together and connecting different services that exist under the Trainz brand. But as Trainz grows, so does the demands on the technology we use. To bring you a richer user experience and provide more up to date services and tools, we'd like to introduce you to 'MyTrainz'.

MyTrainz will be our new account system going forward. Built specifically for the Trainz community, it will allow us to provide users with more services and greater tools to enrich the Trainz experience. MyTrainz will handle the same roles as Planet Auran did - you won't need to create a new account.

Starting Monday the 20th October, you'll begin to see the roll over from Planet Auran to MyTrainz. During this time, some things might go wrong, services might drop for a few moments and you might experience brief interruptions. We'll work hard to keep these as minimal as possible, and we'd like to thank you in advance for your patience and understanding while we try to build you a better Trainz experience.

For more information, please visit Trainz Portal and read the full article.
*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
So, with this in mind, I predict more issues will arise, until all is done and said to be completed.

Happy day!

Paul

Still not right here.:(

Connection to Trainz Forum is intermittently failing, whilst links to other sites via other tabs on my browser in are working just fine.

That is what is happening to me atm....My ISP must still be updating or whatever as access here is just slow atm for me.. :(

Last edited:
@sonofham

My connection continues to be fine today, and fast.

I did install a pile of Windows updates yesterday and initially thought they may have had something to do with it. However, Tony Hilliam's and Spiffy's posts further back in this thread explained the situation.

Give it a few more hours and hopefully all will come good.

@mezzoprezzoAppears to be working fine atm... :) Even checked your screenshot of the week which is :p.

Last edited:
Hi All
We thank you for your patience here, we are still working on restoring all web services at the moment. We are seeing intermittent outages still, although this may actually be a per user issue (we are seeing some users with access, and some users without access).

Regards

Web outages are a disaster for users of TS12 build 61388 HP4.

This outage put me out of commission for two days. If I tried to use to I had endless database rebuilds and Missing assets. This is the second time in the past three weeks that this has happened.

In my opinion this issue needs to be addressed by N3V.

This outage put me out of commission for two days. If I tried to use to I had endless database rebuilds and Missing assets. This is the second time in the past three weeks that this has happened.

Yup... I just got back from a trip, being away from the forums and the DLS, only to find out the hard way that the server being down as ruined my Trainz install again. I too am sitting through yet another validation.

Thanks for the post.Will avoid at all cost TS12.Still will look for TRS2010EE.Much safer!

That's quite odd and I'm not sure it's even related to the outage, I was using SP1 HF4 the entire time the server was down with not a single error besides not being able to log into the DLS.

Back