High temps doing nothing?

autodctr

Working on a very large route......81,000KB. Was running route when wife needed me. GPU temp was 60-61*C. Paused session. Was away from computer for about 15 minutes and when I came back, GPU was at 72*. Unpaused it and immediately the temps started coming back down. 30 seconds later, back to 60* Stayed there. After awhile, I needed to edit a few things like trees blocking rails, etc. Again, temps started to rise while editing! Got up to 72*. Back to driving, temps go back to 60. Why?

This depends upon the density of the view and how many assets are visible. Driving is a bit more closed off, therefore, there's less for the camera to show and the video card to process. whereas Surveyor displays a lot more content at once causing the GPU to work harder.

Well aware of Win stupidity. Since Trainz is the only thing that I use Win for, everything else has been shut off that can be shut off.
Me too and I've been turning off more and more stuff with each unfortunate update. I use some software to drive my Roland LX-17 and some of the background tasks interrupt the program enough to cause stutters, or worse complete hangs. The other big annoyance is the forced placement of documents on their One Drive cloud. I have nearly a 3 TB documents folder that contains virtual machines as well as documents and my recorded music. Accessing that content from the cloud all the time is impossible and editing stuff housed on the cloud is not an option. I had to go through some great lengths to kill that and I'm sure that ability will be taken away at some point.

I have nothing on the cloud. I have a 4TB second drive that came with this machine, so 1TB is reserved for Linux and the other 3TB are used for storage. I keep reading here about Trainz on Linux and I am going to try it soon. If it works, Win will be gone forever.
amazon.com have 10 TB refurbished enterprise hard drives for $80. They're good for 5 years.

Cheerio John

I use the cloud strictly for sharing what I want to share and not for storage because someone else has decided that it's what they want to do with my data. The stuff I share is nothing identifiable in the way that includes personal information. My shared content is music I've played on the piano, sheet music I've found, storm-chasing photos, pictures, and Trainz parts.

I have nothing on the cloud. I have a 4TB second drive that came with this machine, so 1TB is reserved for Linux and the other 3TB are used for storage. I keep reading here about Trainz on Linux and I am going to try it soon. If it works, Win will be gone forever.
There's a thread dedicated to that. Kotangagirl and others have had good luck with it. I haven't experimented or tried it myself but I will eventually when I have time.

Way too many and getting worse.
Glad we were able to finally uninstall Cortana, took Microsoft ages to listen to users about her sad addiction to cpu and memory.

For me now, it's windows defender, system 'yeah, it's pretty strange that system is eating the daylights out of memory' and edge 'ever since Microsoft introduced that 'sleeping tabs rubbish and the browser essentials' edge has become thirsty for cpu, disk, memory and at times gpu.. All these applications needs rehabilitation HAHAHA

Edit: Or just dump Windows 10/11 altogether and give us Windows XP 2.0 ;) Lets revert back to that, until Microsoft gets it right LOL

Glad we were able to finally uninstall Cortana, took Microsoft ages to listen to users about her sad addiction to cpu and memory.

For me now, it's windows defender, system 'yeah, it's pretty strange that system is eating the daylights out of memory' and edge 'ever since Microsoft introduced that 'sleeping tabs rubbish and the browser essentials' edge has become thirsty for cpu, disk, memory and at times gpu.. All these applications needs rehabilitation HAHAHA

Edit: Or just dump Windows 10/11 altogether and give us Windows XP 2.0 ;) Lets revert back to that, until Microsoft gets it right LOL
Cortana went on my system as soon as the news came out. The pixels and data bits didn't get a chance to run and hide on my systems!

To Microsoft's credit, they did fix the high CPU usage by Defender a while ago so that's no longer an issue. I still wish there were better alternatives that don't eat a bunch of resources. I used to use Vipre, but that turned into a hollow mess of you know what after Sunbelt sold it off. Like all malware programs, they went beyond what they were intended and started getting in the way. It was then I went to Defender, but that too is getting bothersome.

My brother removed Edge from his system and has had great performance since then on his work PC. He never used Edge anyway and for him this was an easy thing to do. My problem is I have integrated Edge into my workflow after using it for many years and it's difficult now to change browsers. I tried Opera and used that for a bit when it was free of sponsors, but now that's no better than Edge. Firefox is okay but there are compatibility issues with some websites including the internal one for my wireless router.

What I killed that helped was the One Drive and any of the system monitoring software by Dell. Dell's Support Assist interferes with many background tasks as it constantly pokes at the system. I created a CMD batch to turn on the services when I want to check my hardware, which is done once a month, and then I turn them off using another batch. This most likely can be applied to other manufacturers as well. I simply used the NET Stop #service# command for each and every service associated with that application. Turning off account auditing and checking helped a bit on my Pianoteq PC, but made zero difference on my main desktop. This was related to constant account authentication on domains. Other things that got killed were Phone connect software and some other unrelated things. Keep in mind, I stopped services and went into the Group Policy Editor to do things that can't be done on Windows 10 or 11 Home version and only applies to Windows 10 or 11 Pro.

There are a few outstanding issues that I can't resolve. One of them has to do with some kind of security check that occurs once or twice an hour that completely and suddenly sends my Pianoteq PC to 100% CPU utilization for a split second. This is enough to cause a major stutter because it completely interrupts the software that's running on the PC and that kills the digital piano output. I'm digressing here and going off track. Whatever changes I've made on my Pianoteq PC, I've applied to my main desktop where I use Trainz and I've seen maybe a slight improvement. This could be related to how Pianoteq works compared to other applications. It still doesn't help much with the heat though.

Cortana went on my system as soon as the news came out. The pixels and data bits didn't get a chance to run and hide on my systems!

To Microsoft's credit, they did fix the high CPU usage by Defender a while ago so that's no longer an issue. I still wish there were better alternatives that don't eat a bunch of resources. I used to use Vipre, but that turned into a hollow mess of you know what after Sunbelt sold it off. Like all malware programs, they went beyond what they were intended and started getting in the way. It was then I went to Defender, but that too is getting bothersome.

My brother removed Edge from his system and has had great performance since then on his work PC. He never used Edge anyway and for him this was an easy thing to do. My problem is I have integrated Edge into my workflow after using it for many years and it's difficult now to change browsers. I tried Opera and used that for a bit when it was free of sponsors, but now that's no better than Edge. Firefox is okay but there are compatibility issues with some websites including the internal one for my wireless router.

What I killed that helped was the One Drive and any of the system monitoring software by Dell. Dell's Support Assist interferes with many background tasks as it constantly pokes at the system. I created a CMD batch to turn on the services when I want to check my hardware, which is done once a month, and then I turn them off using another batch. This most likely can be applied to other manufacturers as well. I simply used the NET Stop #service# command for each and every service associated with that application. Turning off account auditing and checking helped a bit on my Pianoteq PC, but made zero difference on my main desktop. This was related to constant account authentication on domains. Other things that got killed were Phone connect software and some other unrelated things. Keep in mind, I stopped services and went into the Group Policy Editor to do things that can't be done on Windows 10 or 11 Home version and only applies to Windows 10 or 11 Pro.

There are a few outstanding issues that I can't resolve. One of them has to do with some kind of security check that occurs once or twice an hour that completely and suddenly sends my Pianoteq PC to 100% CPU utilization for a split second. This is enough to cause a major stutter because it completely interrupts the software that's running on the PC and that kills the digital piano output. I'm digressing here and going off track. Whatever changes I've made on my Pianoteq PC, I've applied to my main desktop where I use Trainz and I've seen maybe a slight improvement. This could be related to how Pianoteq works compared to other applications. It still doesn't help much with the heat though.
DELL and HP should get married, they both run background applications like if there's no tomorrow! Lets not talk about ACER either.. I'm looking at ASUS 'ROG' gaming laptops lately, hopefully if I do buy one it would be so much better than this HP rubbish gaming laptop that doesn't even allow me any rights to change advanced settings that I need to in NVIDIA control panel for certain games, especially MSTS!

I have been following her and the other user. I am getting closer to giving it a try.
I really don't think that you would regret making the change. I have still have Trainz installed on my Win 11 computer but it's been largely ignored with me sticking with running TANE, TRS19 and TRS22 in Debian Linux for the past couple of months or so. After using Linux on my older model HP Z200 Xeon computer since early December I now dislike having to use my refinished ex-lease HP Win 11 computer unless I really have to. Windows 11 is a bloated horrible mess and if it wasn't for the fact that Linux can't run my favourite content creation tools I wouldn't bother with it at all.

DELL and HP should get married, they both run background applications like if there's no tomorrow! Lets not talk about ACER either.. I'm looking at ASUS 'ROG' gaming laptops lately, hopefully if I do buy one it would be so much better than this HP rubbish gaming laptop that doesn't even allow me any rights to change advanced settings that I need to in NVIDIA control panel for certain games, especially MSTS!
That would be really bad! When HP bought Compaq, it was bad and I referred to the new company as Humpback. I wonder what this one would be called...? ASUS ROGs are supposed to be nice machines but I've had on and off issues with ASUS equipment which makes me shy away from them. DELL isn't that bad, but their extra background stuff is like a virus as far as I'm concerned.

I have an Asus Rog Strix gaming laptop. Had it now for 3 maybe 4 years and use it every day. It is a very good machine, it can handle everything I throw at it except for Cities Skylines 2, but there again most machines struggle with that game. Asus like all manufacturers bundle software, most of which is not needed and can be uninstalled.

John

Dell is getting better, but I hated their old laptops: everything was proprietary in them.....especially the hard drives. You either had to pay the nose-bleed price from Dell or buy a conversion kit and hope that the kit and the aftermarket drive would fit.

Back