Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new itch, but related to CM...

I do have a FCT, runs out late Oct. I think I am done gorging on assets though. Once I get re-setup and CM is relatively happy, I will probably spend another month trying to fix assets and errors. Organizational OCD, hehehe.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by rivethed View Post
    I do have a FCT, runs out late Oct. I think I am done gorging on assets though. Once I get re-setup and CM is relatively happy, I will probably spend another month trying to fix assets and errors. Organizational OCD, hehehe.
    You should purchase a new one anyway. They don't expire until you activate them. You think you don't need one, but then you'll download a route from somewhere that still needs content from the DLS which you'll end up downloading at 3kbs per second. It's probably faster, but it seems that slow, and you'll easily reach the 100MB per day limit. Given that they cost about $22 it's a worthy investment.

Organizing content can be a whole job in its self. A buddy of mine has been doing this for about a year, maybe longer. Once you get it done though, which I did many years ago, it's easier to go with the flow. The error repairing isn't that difficult as you'll find out. A lot of the errors are easy things that need a tweak here and there. As time has gone on though, there are now fewer and fewer assets needing repair, that is, unless you download stuff that hasn't been repaired yet or downloaded from an external website.

John
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

I've been at this since '09. Never had an FCT. I have over 100K assets. The DLS usually hits about 10kbps for me on avg. I do hit my 100 MB limit a few times a week usually, but I also Download larger items via FTP on the Black Pages (This saves alot of CM Downloading).

One of the advantages to this method though is that I feel I have a better working knowledge of my asset library then most people because I take the time to sort through assets I want vs don't want. Because I take the time to let it download the "Slow way". But whatever. Most people want the instant gratification that comes with an FCT, but I like the way I do things.

Falcus