Coming back to Trainz ?

Switcher84

Hi all use to run 2006 until my computer could not keep up any more. So I just order a new computer and I am a little confused on what is the newest version of trainz. I know tane is set to release soon but what's out there now 2012 or 2014 or are they the same? And will I be able to bring 2006 content into a new version. Thanks

At the moment, the latest released version is Trainz Simulator 12 (TS12), although as you know that will change when T:ANE is released.

In terms of importing content, some of the content may need to be repaired to work in TS12 as faulty content will not work in that version. Importing said content would be a case of using the Import Content feature in Content Manager.

Shane

Hi, and welcome back.
Like a lot of games TRS2006 is no longer supported by Auran/N3V but some content has survived and some have not, depending on how well it was made.
The 2014 version you are referring to is in fact a completely different game making company, they first called them selves Railroad Simulator.
TS2012 was the last offering, and supports a lot of Kuids new and old, and I would say that's the way to go, but then TANE is out at the end of December with lots of brand new items, but weather it is new good, or new bad is up to you to decide, best thing you can do right now is read up about it in the TANE thread.

Thanks now I know why I was confused about 2014.
Going to order 12 when I get home tonight and got a new computer set up to run TANE

Welcome back. As others have pointed out, TS2014 has nothing whatsoever to do with Trainz; they latched on to the name to fool people into thinking it's a Trainz product. It's not, and there is no compatibility. Same for anything marketed TS2013 or TS2012

TS12, or Trainz Simulator 12, is available at half-price as we speak from SimulatorCentral, although, unfortunately, patched to the latest version.

The computer you ordered, what are it's specs? I ask because very few pre-built/OEM computers are built for gaming; most are not even upgradable. Train simulators, regardless of who makes them, tend to need a more gaming-oriented machine, much more so than in the past.

There is TS09, TS10 (which are unsupported now)
And N3V's TS12 which will be supported for some time beyond the release of T:ANE (when ever that is).

N3V's TS12 works with a 32 bit OS, as does TS10, TS09, TRS2006, and TRS2004.

You can still run 04 and 06 (with allot of meticulous backdating of assets config files).
Soon ... TS09 and TS10 will also require with allot of meticulous backdating of assets config files.

Railworks is also called: "Train Simulator 12" and "Trains Simulator 14" bought in Big Box stores like Target and Walmart, and these are Steam products not affilaited with the N3V Trainz Simulator.

If I were to buy TS12 I would recommend buying from JointedRail or N3V's SimCentral, the official distributors, and I would shy away from buying TS12 on the "Steam" website. and would totally shy away from BigBox Stores.

Buying on EBay and Amazon is not recommended as you will most probably get a "Steam" version ... or a previously registered game, which can not be re-registered again ... or you will end up buying a Non-N3V product that is a totally separate entity called Trains Simulator 12, which is Railworks ... which is not supported or connected to N3V's TS12 Trainz Simulator.

Trainz and Railworks are not compatable, and are totally separate entities.

Last edited:
There is TS09, TS10 (which are unsupported now)
And N3V's TS12 which will be supported for some time beyond the release of T:ANE (when ever that is).

N3V's TS12 works with a 32 bit OS, as does TS10, TS09, TRS2006, and TRS2004.

You can still run 04 and 06 (with allot of meticulous backdating of assets config files).
Soon ... TS09 and TS10 will also require with allot of meticulous backdating of assets config files.

Railworks is also called: "Train Simulator 12" and "Trains Simulator 14" bought in Big Box stores like Target and Walmart, and these are Steam products not affilaited with the N3V Trainz Simulator.

If I were to buy TS12 I would recommend buying from JointedRail or N3V's SimCentral, the official distributors, and I would shy away from buying TS12 on the "Steam" website. and would totally shy away from BigBox Stores.

Buying on EBay and Amazon is not recommended as you will most probably get a "Steam" version ... or a previously registered game, which can not be re-registered again ... or you will end up buying a Non-N3V product that is a totally separate entity called Trains Simulator 12, which is Railworks ... which is not supported or connected to N3V's TS12 Trainz Simulator.

Trainz and Railworks are not compatable, and are totally separate entities.

well I just placed my order with SimCentral

well I just placed my order with SimCentral

You have picked the best place to buy it in my opinion, not only are you sure of getting an original, unregistered, up to date version but you are also helping to support the development of future enhancements by taking out the 'middle man' and his profits.

When you install the software please follow the instructions carefully, one thing to note specially is that part of the install might* take a while, and even appear to have frozen, this is normal - just allow plenty of time and don't interrupt the process.

Register the game using your existing forum username so that everything is under one account.

Enjoy !

Chris

* - this may not be the case with a new fully patched version.

Back