Running TS12 remotely...

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
It works and quite well, mind you! I setup Windows remote desktop and have been running TS12 from my Dell XPS18 tablet while connecting to my more powerful desktop computer. The performance isn't bad even on a really busy route. There is a bit of a delay with the keyboard so I don't think I could run in CAB mode at least without a lot of extra practice. But anyway I sat outside on my deck under the umbrella while running Trainz. It was great being able to unseat from my office chair and get some air.

John

It's actually pretty easy to do. It took me awhile because in Windows 8.x things have been moved around but they haven't at the same time compared to Windows 7. This was more annoying once I found the stuff needed to do this.

Do this on both computers...

You need to enable, or ensure the following 3 services are running:

Remote Desktop Configuration
Remote Desktop Services
Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector

There maybe more needed, but these are the ones that I had to enable.

You also need to have a compatible OS such as Windows 7 and/or Windows 8.x A Win 7 machine can also connect to a Windows 8 and Windows 8 back to 7. It gets a bit snotty trying to connect Win 7 to XP or the other way around due to security things.

With the services started, you go to the control panel, system, advanced system properties, then remote tab.

Ensure the following are checked: Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer. (no need to click on Advanced).

Below part.. Allow remote connections to this computer under Remote Desktop, and check the box to Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (recommended).

Add your user name in the select users... there might be a note about you've already allowed this user, meaning yourself. If you get that then you're all set and ready to connect.

Go to your second computer, login in normally, and then click on Network to get a machine list. Right-click on the PC you want to connect to and choose Connect with Remote Desktop Connection.

You'll then login, and see a blue thing at the top. This is actually a terminal window with your remote desktop of your other machine. User as you please.

John

Back