I would welcome some help with Ub-Portal 2 by Tram__

narrowgauge

92 year oldTrainz veteran
My problem is a simple one to explain.

I am running a repeated loop routine triggered by calling for a Portal to emit a train. The trigger is actuated by a closed loop using a loco as a timing device. Roughly like this:-

Timing loop A triggers Portal B.
Portal B emits train B
Train B follows the driver commands.
Train B triggers timing loop A
Cycle starts again. Duration about 3 minutes

This works correctly for one cycle but stalls when Train B should be emitted but isn't. I have a hazy memory that Tram commented on the forum that there is some sort of 'reset' needed when using either the Un-Portal or the CPC Emit train on Trigger rule. I searched for the post without finding it. My confusion is compounded by a test I made using just two tracks, with Portal A to emit a train on one track on a timed basis which passes a trigger causing Portal B to emit a train on the other track. This repeated the cycle correctly. This would imply that the main route contains the problem but I have had a similar cycle working before on the same route hence my confusion.

The old codger would appreciate help.

Peter

"The trigger is actuated by a closed loop using a loco as a timing device."

I may be missing something here Peter but why not set the portal to emit at 3 min cycles if you need a regular interval service.

Fran.

Thanks for replying

You are not missing anything, subsequent to my post I tried just that. Yes, the 3 minute method does work except that regardless of the setting, the portal emits a second time about 20 seconds into the cycle but still emits the next time dead on the time. It seems to be related to the setting on a 180:20 second ratio. This is not just one time, it continued until I got tired of watching. This aberration occurred with the earlier trial and again on the main route where i laid out the two track trial i mentioned before. If this was not the case I could use the time base, could be tricky, this close routine has to work in conjunction with other timed activities elsewhere.

I like the original method better as it would keep step with the activities more accurately.

What I haven't done and will do tomorrow is download the files again in case the one I'm using is bugged.

Peter

Shane

I have tried the original one, it will emit one traincar which immediately zooms off into the distance, not a good thing.

I have a hunch that what I expect it to do is the problem. I want it to emit a cut of three cars and wait for a loco to collect them, then at a later time do the same. I think it is possible that as the as the related driver commands are nothing more that 'instantload' with no 'move to" commands, the internal logic assumes that the first cars are still there so it is unable to repeat. That is the difference between the two track trial and the route, the two track trial used a loco with "move to" command. I will try adding an invisible loco and move the consist a small amount.

I will report back.

Peter

My hunch was correct. As soon as I arranged for the emitted cars to be moved from the initial point, the portal worked as it should. Moving the cars out of the range of the portal by an external loco is not enough, the cars have to be moved by a loco emitted with the cars.

This is what I like about Trainz, we learn something new every day. Thanks for reading.

Peter

Back