I want to save Trainz Youtube vid

xcrossi

Hello:
I did a search for a way to download and
save Trainz Youtube vid to a folder but was scared for fear of viruses.

Any one have a save app or method ?
I have VLC played

Hes talking about the PROGRAM to download the video. Like this:

Youtube > Program > His Computer.

So the program may put a virus in his computer along with the video,or no video at all.

Yea..what leksie said......so do you know of one?
See. We Canucks understand each other.

Canuck originally from Detroit:Y:

Last edited:
VideoDownloadHelper is a good addon for Firefox, though it has an issue with some Youtube videos. I understand there are better utilities available specifically for Youtube at addons.mozilla.com.

Use "Easy Youtube Video Downloader Express", but remember it's for Youtube ONLY.

VideoDownloadHelper is the best for for non-Youtube railfan sites. I haven't met a site (aside from Youtube) that stuffs it up, though you occasionally have to hit 'reload' once or twice if it isn't picking up a video. You can run them both at the same time.

Thank you for info.
I rarely watch youtube type video's
I want to save instructive vids to make
sure they don't get deleted at a later date.

Thanks again,just now installed and ready to go.

Hi there.

The one I use is called 'aTube Catcher'.

Works very well and can even convert to other formats after download.

Dennis

Hi there.

The one I use is called 'aTube Catcher'.

Works very well and can even convert to other formats after download.

Dennis

Howdy Dennis:
Thanks
I almost became a train driver but stayed with Heavy Trucks / Mountain Driver

I've often used something called Xilisoft Download YouTube Video ... seems to work pretty well, you can even queue video in batches, etc. And It's free (if you want to convert youtube videos to other formats, that requires payment, but the download part is 100% free). This is only for youtube videos ... and by-the-way, ImTOO software is the same software, just branded differently, so either one will give you the same stuff (may look a bit different, but it's all cosmetic .... under the covers, it's the same program) ... have never had any virus issues (and I've used some of their other software as well).

http://www.xilisoft.com/download-youtube-video.html or http://www.imtoo.com/download-youtube-video.html

I've also used VSO Downloader which is free for some download types (I think youtube download support is free, but will only download 50% of some videos if you don't pay for it ... about $30.00 USD). No worries about viruses here either.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/downloader/vso-downloader.php

I know of a couple other pay for options, so if one of these doesn't do the trick, I can point you in other directions as well. But I figure try the free option first and then move on from there if it doesn't work out.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I use "Free YouTube Downloader", from the DVDVideoSoft Free Studio package. The package also includes a basic screen recorder and other video, music and YouTube downloading and converting options, but the programmes are all available separately as well.

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com

Kieran.

Until recently I was using WinXDVD to preserve YouTube videos but that now comes up with "Download Error" as does another programme (I forget the name) I used as a back up. The main thing to be aware of is that many of these utilities either come bundled with malware/spyware which installs without asking, or the download sites themselves have misleading buttons from where to download which end up spiking your PC. So tread *very* carefully.

It's a shame there's no officially sanctioned means of saving YT videos - if need be for a small subscription. I had started to acquire cab rides from various locations of interest (there are loads for the NYC subway) but that is currently on hold pending a reliable and safe solution.

Thanks everyone.
I'm saving this subject page.
I used the VideoDownloadHelper suggested by RRSignal.
I saved the "MODEL RAILROADZ in Trainz by Leeferr".
Ill look at the rest in case I want to post a vid sometime.

One thing to keep in mind, and this is for the benefit of anyone reading or finding this thread in a search.

VideoDownloadHelper worked great for me for many years. It could download anything, whether it was from Youtube or elsewhere. Even no-name railfan sites. Then, about a week ago, I found it unable to download one specific Youtube video; it would appear to download, but be zero bytes long. Empty. After researching this, it turns out that Google is constantly updating Youtube to prevent people from downloading videos in this manner and that some tools, including VDH, haven't kept up with the changes. Now, I believe VDH will still be able to grab the majority of Youtube videos, but I know of at least one that it won't. "Easy Youtube Video Downloader Express", will, but that may change.

Videos from most any site can be downloaded (if you use Firefox, that is) by installing an add-on called "Down Them All". DTA puts a tiny icon on your toolbar and when the video is playing, you can RIGHT-click the icon and choose which version (or versions) you want to download. No external applications are necessary AND you are protected against any viruses that may lurk out there with any of the external downloaders.

This is probably more for discussion in the hardware or community section but wouldn't Google be better acknowledging there is demand for saving YT videos (I even have a couple of cab rides transferred to DVD to watch when on the exercise bike :confused: ) rather than trying to come up with new means of stopping people from grabbing them? It's a bit like the situation that used to apply with laserdiscs and DVD's and regional copy protection, the companies would rather come up with schemes to lock players and discs from being played outside the particular territory, rather than getting on with releasing worldwide. Oh and worst of all of course, was Sony with Japanese only PS1/PS2 games (the Densha de Go train sims), which they regarded for Japan only and they even hounded exporters who sold Asian PS2's abroad so that people could play the games.

Back