Midwest Grain & PVR: Continue it?

22alpha

Hye Guys, been thinking about the MWG route and the PVR content packs. I have tossed around the idea of ending expansions and content packs for this route and RR and possibly doing something new. I wanted to get your input here on where we should go with it. Would you like to see another expansion of MWG and a content pack or would you rather I started something brand new and go from there? I already have a couple items for a new content pack such as some larger EMD locomotives, but before I go much further I want to know what you guys think.

Keep going with it and expand it or move onto something new and start over?

You tell me.

Mike

Hmmm.....interesting....

I'm up for either. As much as I like MWG and such, I feel like some of the other route projects listed in the Partners Program have been ignored (unless I'm totally missing something). Maybe the NEC or Eastern Expansion if you don't want to continue?

Just my $0.02

I love MWG but I'd like to see some more, maybe something like an Industrial shortline type deal? Say like the Chicago Belt Line?

No, Scratch That

I think you should make a new route. Maybe a long fictional Steam-Era mainline route. Here are some suggestions for the possible route and CEPs:

Locos

1. 2-8-2
2. 0-6-0
3. 2-8-4
4. 4-8-4
5. 4-8-2
6. 2-10-4
7. 4-6-6-4
8. 2-8-8-2

Route Features

1. Coal Mines
2. Northeastern USA Setting
3. Double-Track or Triple-Track Mainline
4. Multiple Spurs and Yards

I am NOT trying to be a gimme pig. this is just my $0.02

Last edited:
Midwest grain is great! I feel like after MWG, the reading and northern, and Mojave, I think the next type of route to create would be like an industrial or city type route. Maybe like one around Chicago. The IHB, EJ&E, or Belt Railway of Chigao would be great candidates!

Midwest grain was a great route, but I'd like to see something new, I'd favor an extension of the R&N or perhaps a short line. If you want a real route, with capabilities of long trains and switching, I'd suggest the Ohio Central System.

Hmmmm thats a tough question. I love the MWG route and all its content. The last pack really helped to round it out. Something new would be pretty cool aswell though. I love shortlines and regionals just for the variety of engines and industries that can be found on them. I'm also an east coast fan (im from michigan) the desert scenery is just to plan for me. A short logging railroad or maybe a coal hauling regional would be interesting, in my opinon.

I agree with the others MWG is great along with all the content. A short line would be neat, with a variety of power old and new patched or not, with switching and short haul. What ever you guys decided to do I'm sure the community will be behind you either way.

I'd like to see someone with your route building skill do the NS W line Spartanburg to Asheville through Saluda. Love the MWG route!

As much as I like MWG, I believe a new route would be nice. I think a good one would be the BNSF Scenic Subdivision (Stevens Pass) from Mukilteo, WA to Wenatchee, WA. Trains include the Amtrak Empire Builder, Sounder Commuter thru Mukilteo & Everett, Amtrak Cascades Talgos thru Mukilteo & Everett, the Boeing Supply Train (737 Fuselages, 777 parts cars & 747 parts cars), coal trains, grain trains, intermodel, & mixed freight. The route is absolutely beautiful & would be amazing for trainz. There is one for MSTS, Railworks, but none (That I can find) for trainz. Stations include (Sounder) Mukilteo, (Empire Builder & Sounder) Everett, (Empire Builder) Leavenworth, (Empire Builder) Wenatchee. Towns include (In order west to east) Mukilteo, Everett, Snohomish, Monroe, Sultan, Start-Up, Gold Bar, Skykomish, Scenic, Leavenworth, Pehastin, Dryden, Cashmere, Monitor, Wenatchee. Unique features include the Snohomish River bridge in Everett, the Everett Boeing branch out of Mukilteo, & Cascade Tunnel just east of Scenic. Unique towns include Leavenworth, which is a town of German culture. Most buildings there are of German design. Skykomish, as it says on the welcome sigh, is "A Great Northern Town". While it is very small, it has a lot of cool features. All road sighs are in the shapes of cabooses, a miniature riding railroad is right by the tracks, an old Great Northern SD9 in BN paint is sitting on a siding & it will soon be restored back into a GN unit for there historical program, Great Northern Logos are on a lot of buildings, a snow plow is stationed there for service when it snows (and it does a lot in winter), the old Skykomish Hotel and the old depot was just restored for the mini riding railroads train storage & office. Most of the way between Everett & Wenatchee are single track main with sidings in most (if not all) towns. The line is very busy as it is part of the high-line between Chicago, IL & Seattle, WA. If this route was ever made I would be so happy. I know it's a huge suggestion, but I know JR could do it! :) Here are some pics of the unique features

The Skykomish Snow Plow

70273548.jpg

Boeing Supply Train in Skykomish
050313skykomishtrain.JPG

The old SD9 in Skykomish
tn_GN1731-1.jpg

Snohomish River swing bridges is Everett (top one is the rail bridge)
df029112-aerial-Snohomish-River-bridges-photo.jpg

Cascade Tunnel East Portal
cascade_tunnel.jpg

Cascade Tunnel West Portal
667.jpg

Welcome to Skykomish Sign
skykomish_sign.jpg

Leavenworth Buildings
downtown_leavenworth3.jpg

Everett Boeing Train in Mukilteo
21.JPG

I love the MG & PVR concept. What I would like to see is a city/urban setting extension; an add-on the the existing project maybe coming from the North.

Thanks for asking and all of the hours/effort.
John

Like most - I love MWG! However, I'm assuming most people also don't have hours at a time to sit down and run a train from one end of a route to another. MWG is plenty big now to provide tons of entertainment. Any bigger and it could start to slow down lessor computers. I would vote for heading in a new direction. Some change is bad! Other changes can be good though. I'm sure you've got plenty of ideas up your sleeves, but I think a series of smaller routes would be nice. Thanks for asking for the communities input!

Chase

How about something like a terminal railroad with car float operations or something? MWG is awesome, but I think that even though it is really fun, it is time to move on. If you did something else would it mean that you stop doing new PVR content?

Hello Mike,

It all depends on how much you want to expand MWG by, if it's just a few baseboards at each end, then, personally, I can't see the point really, but, if you wanted to add say another 100 baseboards, or, so, then, carry on with it.

On the other hand, something brand new might be tastier for you, we can all see what a great job MWG has turned out like, a fresh challenge, including your recent scenery offerings, might be the way forward, and an appropriate content pack would go down very well with the troops, I'm sure.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

It's great where you've got to with the MWG & PVR but if you feel it's time to move on, then do so. They say a model railway is never really complete and you can either keep adding to and tweaking it until such a time you decide to rip it all up and start again. At least with Trainz, we don't have to go to those extremes, MWG will always be with us and whichever (rail)road you decide to go down, you have my support.

Back