USA Pics (electric)

Most if not all of pweiser's electric locomotives include sparks. Some include sparks for third rail left or right, as well as pantograph.

Some other artist's electrics include sparking, mostly trams/trolleys.

Especially amazing at night with multiple units as Paul's sparks are random and increase in frequency with speed.

I should acknowledge that the speed and weather dependence features were in the first spark script I received - in an email, showing how to do it. I've never changed them. The rest of the sparker scripts, which do a few additional things, are my fault :hehe: .

I've been trying to get a spark script for my NYCTA Subway cars made by magicland and the bombardier M7A's where they only spark at junctions or when the trains go a certain speed

I've been trying to get a spark script for my NYCTA Subway cars made by magicland and the bombardier M7A's where they only spark at junctions or when the trains go a certain speed

Take a look at one of mine, find the speed/weather condition routines, turn the frequency up to be sure it sparks, then enclose the actual spark generation subroutine in a conditional based on speed (velocity). Points, I don't know... maybe you could scan forward for next junction and kick off sparks when the distance goes to zero or pops up again?

Search the DLS for author pweiser and download any electric trains that look like what you are doing.

In content manager open the train or trains for editing in explorer. Look for sparker.gs and open it in notepad or your favorite editor. Warning, these are complex!

Last edited:
The X996 ( Alsthom CC 21003 based ) currently in test by Amtrak in 1977 on the Northeast Corridor somewhere between New York City & Washington D.C.

I just downloaded this in TANE and I'm trying to get the sparks to work, but when I lay them to run they don't even flash.

Not the Best Example

NYC Class P-2 Lightning kuid:520526:2300

That may not be the best example to work with. It has no physical (or even invisible) pantographs, and is a little old.

To get sparks, you must select pantograph up anyway, and the control button for pantographs will not be displayed in TS12 or higher if there is no pantograph in the configuration. This can be done with a driver command or (I think) by using the keypad "1" key to cycle through the four pantograph positions. Each (other than the default, 0) will give sparks.

However, being old, it has only one non-directional corona for each of the four spark locations (the third-rail contact shoes). These will be invisible from nearly all directions if you're using a version of T:ANE which accepts but does not correctly process non-directional (directional 0) coronas in the configuration. I believe this is fixed in the very latest T:ANE - right, @normhart?

A better example on DLS is <KUID:520526:2154>, NH Class EP-4 ENG. It still has the invisible-spark issue for some versions of T:ANE, but does have real pantographs with attached sparks, plus third rail sparks. It *should* have a pantograph button in TS12/T:ANE, but might not.

Hope that helps.

That may not be the best example to work with. It has no physical (or even invisible) pantographs, and is a little old.

To get sparks, you must select pantograph up anyway, and the control button for pantographs will not be displayed in TS12 or higher if there is no pantograph in the configuration. This can be done with a driver command or (I think) by using the keypad "1" key to cycle through the four pantograph positions. Each (other than the default, 0) will give sparks.

However, being old, it has only one non-directional corona for each of the four spark locations (the third-rail contact shoes). These will be invisible from nearly all directions if you're using a version of T:ANE which accepts but does not correctly process non-directional (directional 0) coronas in the configuration. I believe this is fixed in the very latest T:ANE - right, @normhart?

A better example on DLS is <KUID:520526:2154>, NH Class EP-4 ENG. It still has the invisible-spark issue for some versions of T:ANE, but does have real pantographs with attached sparks, plus third rail sparks. It *should* have a pantograph button in TS12/T:ANE, but might not.

Hope that helps.

I'm pretty sure that is correct PWeiser. jamal17 did you press the "1" key on the keypad? The panto button on the GUI does not work consistently.

<kuid2:522774:100023:2> Chicago Metro 2.2 by sniper297 build 3.3 seems to work fine in TANE. There are several sessions available too. All on the DLS! :D

Back