SSD brands and speed

Thai1On

Slave to my route
I was told by the GF that she wants to get me to get me a SSD for my New Years present. My question is are there any brands to stay away from and is there a noticeable difference between a stand model and a "pro" model?

I'm simply looking for the best bang for the buck in regards to TS12:cool:.

Dave

I have 2 Crucial M4's in my machine and am very happy with them. They run flawlessly and were not expensive at all.

Hi Dave,

I personally would recommend one with its own power supply, and not one that takes power from the computer's 5V supply. I have found the former to be more reliable.

As far as brands go, I recommend Seagate. I have a Seagate Expansion Drive SSD which stores 2TB of data. I have 3 versions of Trainz, one MSTS and one Failworks on it. :)

I had a Western Digital My Passport drive, but it failed in a matter of months because it is a bottom-spec one. Avoid the My Passport range drives.

Kieran.

Samsung 840 have a good reputation, things come up faster but there isn't much difference in frame rates.

Cheerio John

I have a 120GB Samsung 830 as my system disk and a 232GB 840 for Trainz (and a 3TB HDD for everything else) and am very satisfied. My original Trainz 830 SSD failed almost immediately and was replaced with the 840 as it was no longer obtainable.

I've just installed a Crucial M500, but not really had much of a chance to test it yet.

Last edited:
Clam, do you use trim on them or leave them alone.

Trim was enabled by default so I left it on.

@ justinroth
OCZ are bankrupt, is a possibility that Toshiba might swallow them up. I might add the company was OK when I bought the drives, not unduly worried, the Agilty 3's seem reliable, there are problems with some of the Vertex and Vectors.
Might suggest any one who has them get hold of the latest firmware updates and the OCZ toolbox, while you can, just in case they are ever needed.

Looks like they are getting low on stock at my usual suppliers only a few vertex left now.

I knew some one was going to ask!

At the command prompt type or just paste the following

Code:
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

Should get a response of 0 for enabled and 1 for disabled

To enable if the SSD supports Trim

Code:
fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

or to disable

Code:
fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 1

Note: This is only for Win7 upwards.

Plextor M5Pro (don't confuse this with the M5S) strikes a very nice balance between cost and performance. I have one each for my laptop and desktop.

What is the difference between (insert product name) standard SSD's and the Pro models. Is there any noticeable difference in speed and more important, frame rates?

Dave

I knew some one was going to ask!

Only because we know you know (rings a bell that one).
Got the OCZ toolbox last night and trimmed the vertex 3, thanks for the suggestion. The firmware I think I'll leave, I have a talent for self inflicted sabotage.
Erm while I'm here, the crucial M4's are supposedly self trimming or similar, true or false.

Back