JR and Reskinners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chadd04

Knuckle Shuffling
I was thinking the other day about all of the good looking reskins of JR's payware engines. Its always a shame to see something so beautiful and know all you'll be able to get is a picture of it. I came up with an idea that I wanted to see what JR and the Trainz community would think of. What if JR started a deal that if someone reskined a payware locomotive and wish to make it public, there would be a way to. I suggest that people be aloud to submit reskins to JR, if they find the work to be worthy they place it on their website and share income from sales. (Something like 1/3 for skinner 2/3s for origional creator) To keep their website from becoming over loaded, perhaps make a rule were if in the first month of being online that if the reskin doesnt achieve 'X' number of downloads it gets taken down. This was just an idea I came up with, figured it would encourage more people to reskin and maybe find new people with good talents. What do you guys think?

I was thinking the other day about all of the good looking reskins of JR's payware engines. Its always a shame to see something so beautiful and know all you'll be able to get is a picture of it. I came up with an idea that I wanted to see what JR and the Trainz community would think of. What if JR started a deal that if someone reskined a payware locomotive and wish to make it public, there would be a way to. I suggest that people be aloud to submit reskins to JR, if they find the work to be worthy they place it on their website and share income from sales. (Something like 1/3 for skinner 2/3s for origional creator) To keep their website from becoming over loaded, perhaps make a rule were if in the first month of being online that if the reskin doesnt achieve 'X' number of downloads it gets taken down. This was just an idea I came up with, figured it would encourage more people to reskin and maybe find new people with good talents. What do you guys think?

To be honest that would be an accounting nightmare to try to do to pay other people for their skins, etc. etc., Not to mention the influx of emails to manage on content that people want us to host and sell would be interesting as well.

Essentially the way we work is we seek out new talent when we see it out here on the forums and the like. If we like what we see out here in the public, we'll let you know surely.

Time is also a factor for all of this. I simply don't have enough to manage a program like this and neither do the balance of the core JR members who make up our team.

sorry but no. I have already addressed this a few times. first of all, placing some different colors over my textures does not constitute a reskin, and 90% of submissions would be this. I am nowhere near prepared to 'share' proceeds for that. there are very few reskinners that JR would even consider, and you already know who you are.

I'm not one to say "I told you so", but in this case, I told you so.

As dreamy as this would be, JR isn't going to split it up.

Everyone knew that sharing of the profits would be ridiculous, and out of the question ... but if someone were to send JR a completely fabulously weathered reskin/paintjob ... would JR host the reskin/paintjob, if it was high quality enough to live up to their standards, with no monitary profit going to the reskinner ?

...but if someone were to send JR a completely fabulously weathered reskin/paintjob ... would JR host the reskin/paintjob, if it was high quality enough to live up to their standards, with no monitary profit going to the reskinner ?

This sounds a bit more feasible. Didn't JR do the same with the EVWR stuff?

This sounds a bit more feasible. Didn't JR do the same with the EVWR stuff?

The EVWR stuff was done by Mick (Matruck) who is part of JR. They used to do that with USLW to a limited extent, payware was out of the question, but lately, USLW is languishing as a forgotten stepchild.

The EVWR stuff was done by Mick (Matruck) who is part of JR. They used to do that with USLW to a limited extent, payware was out of the question, but lately, USLW is languishing as a forgotten stepchild.

Nope, look at the author of the EVWR stuff, it says "dermmy"

Nope, look at the author of the EVWR stuff, it says "dermmy"

He meant who made the locos and such that went along with it. That would've been Mick.

I'm just going to go ahead and close this. It's obviously not happening so further discussion is not needed on the subject at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back