Curious about the site attack

A couple things that I didn't see covered in this thread that I would like to ask:

Recently, a member of the community was banned after the 6th. To negate a flamewar, I will leave his name out. Has the ban been undone because of the rollback?

Also, are there going to be better safeguards on VBs side to prevent this from happening again?

I got 25 viruses just logging on...

I also lost ALL of my posts made within a week of the incident...

Also, the screen looked like this:

Last edited:
And I know they are from the site because after the first one I ran a system scan with 40 issues, the next one, on a clean PC, was 25...

I didn't get any notifications when I viewed the site. I saw the popup but didn't click on it or attempt to close the page, just used the bookmarks to re-visit the forum top level, and a subsequent scan has shown no infections.

I can't say what might have happened to anybody who clicked on the OK button or on the close icon.

I didn't get any notifications when I viewed the site. I saw the popup but didn't click on it or attempt to close the page, just used the bookmarks to re-visit the forum top level, and a subsequent scan has shown no infections.

I can't say what might have happened to anybody who clicked on the OK button or on the close icon.

This is a concern I had regarding the pop-up message. The message could by covering up an exploit, a Trojan Horse, of some kind that has been sent to various people that logged in. My system is clean so I'm okay, just being a bit paranoid about it.

John

This is a concern I had regarding the pop-up message. The message could by covering up an exploit, a Trojan Horse, of some kind that has been sent to various people that logged in. My system is clean so I'm okay, just being a bit paranoid about it.

John
I just cleaned off a bunch of stuff from my computer...
d7e72bc7f63e5e2a935f9faf640cbd68.png

Is that the same stuff you guys got?

Nothing found at all here.

Open Candy and it's associated junk is bundled with quite a few freeware installers, which don't always tell you it's been added. It's basically adware that connects to a server and can throw up annoying messages offering to install various "useful" crap on your PC. It's not usually dumped from a website, suggest that one was obtained from some user installed program. It's in the Free File Sync and ImgBurn installers for example and if you blink you miss the option to not install Open Candy, some installers don't even have the courtesy to inform the user its being installed.
Crossrider is worse, it's similar in that it offers to install junk however it also can install a rootkit, need to probably scan for rootkits just in case.

I did click on the red square with an "X" button to close the Pop-up. I got no immediate notification of infection from AVG at that time.
-My computer has been on-line all day, and I just did a Malwarebytes update and "Full scan" of my primary C\: drive...No Infections Found.

"Ryan"; IIRC, "PUP" infections are Tracking Cookies...likely from your "Coupon Companion" software...consumer tracking, not "Exploit" Trojans.

--Scanning other drives now, will edit when finished.

Last edited:
I didn't get a pop up, but I haven't checked my virus scanner yet.... Were the trojans, etc directly related to the pop up?

I didn't get a pop up, but I haven't checked my virus scanner yet.... Were the trojans, etc directly related to the pop up?

Hi Jackson,

We're not sure; probably more paranoid! I scanned my system today with Malwarebytes and it's clean as a whistle. Whew! :D

The stuff the guys are seeing here comes from installers and tool bar add-ons and not from the pop-up message we saw. This stuff does nothing more than drag down the system performance as it talks back to the advertising hosts. It's usually bundled, as Malc said, with installers. Google isn't much better with its bundled Chrome, or Oracle with it's Bing Toolbar! When installing software, I always check for the add-ons and ensure I have unchecked them before the installer if there is a checkbox.

John

Hi Jackson,

We're not sure; probably more paranoid! I scanned my system today with Malwarebytes and it's clean as a whistle. Whew! :D

The stuff the guys are seeing here comes from installers and tool bar add-ons and not from the pop-up message we saw. This stuff does nothing more than drag down the system performance as it talks back to the advertising hosts. It's usually bundled, as Malc said, with installers. Google isn't much better with its bundled Chrome, or Oracle with it's Bing Toolbar! When installing software, I always check for the add-ons and ensure I have unchecked them before the installer if there is a checkbox.

John

I disabled all my addons, I was incognito...

Hi Jackson,

John

My computer actually started locking up, programs like Skype would not even load, I am almost positive they came from the forums because I ran a scan right before I checked then forums and was clean and after I checked the forum and woke up today, I found my computer stuck on the windows loading screen and had to boot it off an secondary install to get windows running to remove the stuff...

My computer actually started locking up, programs like Skype would not even load, I am almost positive they came from the forums because I ran a scan right before I checked then forums and was clean and after I checked the forum and woke up today, I found my computer stuck on the windows loading screen and had to boot it off an secondary install to get windows running to remove the stuff...

That's not good. Perhaps I was just lucky. :( I recommend running a scan with Malwarebytes, or some other antivirus program in addition to the one you have loaded. Let us know what you find.

John

That's not good. Perhaps I was just lucky. :( I recommend running a scan with Malwarebytes, or some other antivirus program in addition to the one you have loaded. Let us know what you find.

John
That's what I used to clear out those 17 items, there may have been a more severe one I didn't screenshot because it took 2 scans to get all them out. (You can see 2nd scan pic on previous page).

Back