Curious about the site attack

KingConrail76

I'm curious, could todays attack on the site have anything to do with those 1,000 assets on the DLS by "Krash01" ?
--Is the DLS server and the Web Forum Server one in the same, or somehow networked together?

The DLS and Web Forum are on different servers from what I recall.

I was wondering the same thing, given his username.

Let's leave it at this so a flamewar doesn't start. :)

John

Yeah. The world is trying to bring us all to our knees by trashing a video game forum.
I think you are reading too much into it.*

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe it was a error on the PHP side of things. A few other forums I frequent also where attacked. Or at least stated as having issues.

It seems to be working OK at the moment, so it may have been a temporary blip in the system with my site (which does happen sometimes). My site does have good protection against malicious attacks though. I'm also wondering what exactly caused the attack yesterday as well, as I ended up not being able to use the forums for a good few hours as a result.

If you do find my site being offline at all, please send me a message via PM so I can investigate.

Shane

Hee, hee, I spent a few minutes trying to figure out "the new set up", before I figured out something was wrong!

Cheers...Rick

The pages looked kind of bare what with the indented menu style. At first, I thought it was a new look. :cool:

Someone must be really confused to bring down a simulator. Perhaps it looks so good they thought it was real! :hehe:

Have to dig deep on the net to find this but it seems quite a few vBulletin forums have been attacked in the last month or so, seems they are able to create an admin account, even Ubuntu's forums were compromised back end of July.

I'm sure by now everyone's noticed that we're using a recent backup from last week; several days of posts have gone missing.

I doubt whoever attacked, if it was even intentional, this site did so to disrupt Trainz users. The information post said e-mail addresses were visible so, if anything, they probably came to harvest those to add to spam and advertisement lists with the forum breakdown being a side effect.

It's nevertheless a bit naughty that a commercial company has left a backdoor open, even if it is an exploit in the Phb software. Surely that's what system administrators are paid to keep an eye on.

Even though we are assured no passwords have been compromised, I've changed mine and would suggest others do the same.

From what I've seen, quite a few companies have been affected in one way or another (interestingly the affected ones have VBulletin software, so in effect it's something for VBulletin to look into, especially as their software is not free).

Shane

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe it was a error on the PHP side of things. A few other forums I frequent also where attacked. Or at least stated as having issues.

I doubt whoever attacked, if it was even intentional, this site did so to disrupt Trainz users. The information post said e-mail addresses were visible so, if anything, they probably came to harvest those to add to spam and advertisement lists with the forum breakdown being a side effect.

You guys must not have seen the "Pop-Up" that appeared when clicking on certain Threads. I will not quote it, but to hint at it's messege, I'll say that whom ever wrote it seems to have a problem with companies that sell stuff, and compared it to "the oldest profession".

It was 100% definitively an "intentional act". I did not see other vBulletin sites that were attacked (I am a member of 4 other vBulletin based Forums), so I can not confirm it was NOT directed at N3V.

You mean the art of seduction for money? Oh yes. Now, who cares? It's over, a website got hacked. Get on with it people and get back into trainz

You guys must not have seen the "Pop-Up" that appeared when clicking on certain Threads. I will not quote it, but to hint at it's messege, I'll say that whom ever wrote it seems to have a problem with companies that sell stuff, and compared it to "the oldest profession".

It was 100% definitively an "intentional act". I did not see other vBulletin sites that were attacked (I am a member of 4 other vBulletin based Forums), so I can not confirm it was NOT directed at N3V.

Google is your friend..........

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2443431

http://blog.canonical.com/2013/07/30/ubuntu-forums-are-back-up-and-a-post-mortem/

http://www.therugbyforum.com/showthread.php?31627-VBulletin-attacked

http://mygaming.co.za/news/news/58225-sa-forums-victim-of-vbulletin-exploit.html

Just a sample , would seem it's not an N3V specific attack.

I just noticed the post in the Announcements section. Yes, they did reset the forums. What this means is, posts made between last Saturday and the server reboot no longer exist.

Spiffy, what does the rollback mean for user accounts that were created during that deleted chunk of time?

Can I just ask if there are any security issues for those of us who viewed the compromised version of the Forum yesterday? I saw the pop-up on my PC and then decided to leave as clearly the whole Forum was compromised. Any chance it could have tried to load malicious code onto my PC?

Paul

Back