how do I move the AI engineer to a new head end of consist

I bought Trainz 2012 a few weeks ago. The last copy I used was the original Trainz about ten or more, years ago. The latest version is a considerable improvement, but sadly lacking in HELP for the AI. I’ve been working my way through the AI by experimentation and the help of the excellent tutorials written by Chuck ? in 2009. One item I have not been able to sort out is the following; perhaps someone can offer me the solution.

In one of my routes I’m using commuter trains that can be operated in either direction (MN Bombardier M7A). Prototypically the engineer would walk from one end of the train to the other thereby changing the forward end of the consist for the return trip.

When the train reaches its destination (B) it then reverses and returns along its route to its origin (A). I’m trying to sort out how the driver can at this point show in the new head-end of the consist. Since the units do not display a driver in Surveyor, but the AI driver shows in the forward cab in Session, I assume there must be a way to move the AI driver to the new head-end of the consist for the return trip to its origin (A).

I searched the forums, because I’m sure I’m not the first to encounter this problem, but found nothing. I’d appreciate any help or direction where I can find the information for this.
Thank you.

Change Train Direction only does what it says, the driver stays put. Don't know about Run Around Ex tho, never tried it, but it's description sounds promising.

What about 'Move To Train'? The other two don't move the driver.

You'd set the driver to move to the unit at the other end of the train and then drive back to the start.

Kieran.

The "Move to train" is not good for that purpose. The "Change direction" will shift the driver to the other end of the train if the other end has a loco, and seems only to shift the driver if the train actually starts in the opposite direction. Just my own experiences - please correct if i am wrong

What about 'Move To Train'? The other two don't move the driver.

Kieran.

Run round ex does move the driver from one end of a consist to the other if a locomotive is at the other end and with EMUs or DMUs.

The description of the assets says:

Run-Around command that will first check the existence of any back-locomotive.
If one is present, driver is simply moved to that locomotive, otherwise, regular run-around is performed.
In all cases the driver is put in the new front-most locomotive, and train's logical forward is changed.

I wonder if this couldn't be done using a bit of driver commands setup as follows:

Before starting, you'll need to save the schedule to the schedule library so things don't get lost.

1) Use a get off train command.

2) Change the train direction.

3) Move the engineer to the train which will put him on the 'other' end now.

4) Use the Copy commands from to reload the schedule.

Now proceed normally.

John

When Iin post #7 said "Change Direction" it should have been "Change Train Direction" sorry for the mistake. Anyway the "Change Train Direction" does the trick. This command is not by default in the command list so you have to add it yourself. Regards Niels

Back