Big Bertha Build - Body Mesh Complete (well almost!)

pcas1986

It's been raining for a week so I've had lots of time to renew my Blender skills and progress Big Bertha. Here is the complete body except for the handrails on the front footplate, the whistle and sanding tubes. I haven't made up my mind about rivets yet. There would be two bands of rivets around the smokebox and and some on the cab. I'll probably create them for texturing and then remove them to get the poly count down.

The picture below doesn't do it justice. It looks better than that.

BB_03Mar12.jpg

I've shown it as it appears in Blender rather than as a scenery asset since many of the sub meshes are mirrors. I have to commit mirrors prior to creating a Trainz asset but that's not a good idea since they are not textured yet. I've spent most of the day working on the smokebox and front footplate area since the photos I have are a bit vague and many don't agree with the original drawing. However, I'm happy with the result.

Some of the bits are parts from Paul Hobbs parts collection including the axleboxes, smokebox cover and some handrail bits. The rest is mine.

That's the first two lines of my long list of stuff to do. The next are the wheels, driveline and animation. The animation is going to be the interesting bit. The meshes are simple.

I'd like to make mention of the assistance by Kennilworth (Brian) who has managed to come up with some additional BB photos and technical information that has been very useful. Thanks Brian. :wave:

Paul

pcas1986 said:
The picture below doesn't do it justice. It looks better than that.
Then it must be truly amazing!

And thanks to Brian for helping!

Can I beta test, and experimnt with different enginesounds and the like? And for the whistle, the Stanier 8F one could be used, but not if the loco is for Multi Player. As I said earlier, I have permission to make a Multi Player version of the Lickey Incline route on the DLS.

Kieran.

For Whitepass. The rivets I'm comfortable with but regarding your comment about the edge splitting - did you mean for mapping purposes?

This is my second loco and modelling is way easier this time around. I've been experimenting with solidifying parts of meshes and not others, and using planes a lot for starting off sub meshes. Plus, as I said earlier, mirrors are used a lot in this model.
But, the biggest time save of all has been checking normals as I go rather than leaving it until a mesh is complete.

For Kieran
Testing is a long way off but I will let you have a pre release version.
It appears Big Bertha had some mods during its lifetime. For example, the safety valves look different in later photos. According to Brian, the original had Ramsbottom safety valves but they may have been changed to Ross Pop later. BB also had two boilers with one as a spare to reduce overhaul time. Perhaps the other boiler had a different valve. This is something to consider when producing a model of the later version. I'm not trying to be a purist but I'm happy to change it if there is enough evidence.

I haven't given too much thought to the whistle yet. It is impossible to determine what type is used from the drawing so I'll probably use whatever seems most likely.

The other thing I have been thinking about is the spotlight. I believe it was only used during low visibility to assist coupling at the rear of trains being assisted on the incline. I doubt if it would be on once coupled and moving so perhaps I could get it to automatically turn on when a train was detected within x number of yards or perhaps via a switch in the cab. I'm not sure if the latter is possible but I will look into it. I do know that it is impractical to do it with a hotkey.

Paul

Paul,

In my youth I had a fabulous book of makers photos of British steam locomotives. (I wish I still had it)

The Lickey Banker (Big Bertha) was my favourite out of all of them. It just oozes power and dignity, like a king of locos.

British locos of that time were the ultimate in elegant design. Potentially a 0-10-0 loco could be plum-ugly, but no, in this case it's perfection on wheels. Just like the Gresley A3's....

I really look forward to your model.. and it looks great so far...

Peter V

Last edited:
Thanks Peter. From you I consider that a special compliment. :D

There will be at least three versions: the original MR , the LMS and BR versions but they will be black. Plus, I intend to do a red/crimson one in LMS livery just because I think it should have been in that colour and would look good!

Paul

I always like compliments - even if a tad late. And rereading what I wrote back in March (was it that long ago!) I see I promised a crimson lake version.

And I have to fix the "missing" reverser link, and the revised engine spec, and the better script (as suggested by Paul Hobbs), and probably a couple of other things.

Plus I'm toying with the idea of building a North Staffordshire Railway B Class 2-4-0T that looks nice.

Back