X86 and X64

builder300544

Wrong side of 65
Hi,

I have seen the above mentioned quite a few times in posts recently and wonder if someone could enlighten me as to how this is applied.

My understanding is that X86 is 32 bit whilst X64 is 64 bit (can,t quite fathom out how X86 means 32 bit though)

I recently purchased a a machine which had Vista home premium 32 bit installed, but also came with the 64 bit disc. I therefore used the disc to upgrade to 64bit.

In the boot disc it now shows 'Programme Files' and 'Programme Files X86' and under the latter is a folder 'Auran' and then sub-folders 'TRS2006' and 'TS2009'

Both games run without any problems (Touch Wood)

My question is am I actually running these games in 32 bit or 64 bit.

Cheers, John

Hi,

WOW that was a quick. I,ll try and digest what those links have to say, but in the meantime thanks for the reply.

Cheers, John

These are 32 bit programs running under a 64 bit operating system. X86 is the name of the intel 32 bit instruction set.

TRS2006 will use upto 2 gigs and TS2009 will use upto 4 gigs even though it is a 32 bit program.

Cheerio John

Hi,

Have read those links John (john259). Very informative.

I,m assuming by your reply John (johnwhelan) that it does not matter what folder the programmes are in, I still have a 64 bit machine running a 32 bit programme. I have 8 gig of ram so am well prepared for the future.

Thanks again for information.

Cheers, John

(I feel a Monty Python sketch coming on:D)

Back