Would this be a good laptop for 12 and T:ANE.

I like the desktop that hminky linked, it seems pretty good, one question though. Could I order it with the Logisys 480 watt power supply, and the ATI HD 1GB 1080p VGA/HDMI PCI-EXPRESS VIDEO CARD that it comes with, and run 12 at decent performance, then swap those out with the 600 watt and the gtx960 card later?

I like the desktop that hminky linked, it seems pretty good, one question though. Could I order it with the Logisys 480 watt power supply, and the ATI HD 1GB 1080p VGA/HDMI PCI-EXPRESS VIDEO CARD that it comes with, and run 12 at decent performance, then swap those out with the 600 watt and the gtx960 card later?
The onboard video won't run anything.

And a $100 dollar card won't run anything either.

Harold

Last edited:
The newer machines which are much lighter and smaller look very promising for road warrior Trainz use as long as they can withstand the heat and have decent graphics. The newer Asus units are surprisingly light, especially compared to my old M17x!

John

I'm sure compared to an old M17x it may well be lighter, but the G750 is quite the heavyweight, trust me! For something that gets lugged around quite a bit, I wish I had gone with a Lenovo Y510 instead. Live and learn.

Laptops can run Trainz but are limited by heat considerations etc, its difficult to get liquid nitrogen cooling on a laptop. For the $ Desktops offer better price performance.

Cheerio John

Hogwash. I paid $1299 for this Asus RoG G751JM and it never has turned the fans up high, yet. I won't gain more than 10% gain in performance if I were to build a desktop with highest end CPU and equivalent desktop parts. Just talking from experience.

Paul

I'm sure compared to an old M17x it may well be lighter, but the G750 is quite the heavyweight, trust me! For something that gets lugged around quite a bit, I wish I had gone with a Lenovo Y510 instead. Live and learn.

That's good to know. :) I've been looking to replace my Alienware at some point. (By the time I do, there will be 100GHz laptops and 100Thz desktops, and I'll be 90...) It still works fine and can still run TS12 with full graphics settings fine, but doesn't handle the newer stuff.

My old M17x weighs in almost as much as my old Visual V1083 (Commuter Computer). :)

http://oldcomputers.net/commuter.html

Try carrying one of these through an airport and train station. By the time you reach your destination, your arms are 4-inches longer!

John

Hogwash. I paid $1299 for this Asus RoG G751JM and it never has turned the fans up high, yet. I won't gain more than 10% gain in performance if I were to build a desktop with highest end CPU and equivalent desktop parts. Just talking from experience.

Paul

If you look at the specs on your lap top it comes with both an i5 and an i7 variation, hard drives are 7,200 and 5,400 rpm, the GTX 860M card I was unable to spot on the comparison chart, but a GTX 970M is in tier six on TOMS. The maximum SSD is 250 gigs not enough for Trainz and the operating system in my opinion.

Your lap top maybe sufficient to run Trainz at the sliders settings you prefer to your satisfaction but a desktop is not limited in the same way as a laptop for example an AMD R9 295X2 or an nVidia GTX Titan Z class of GPUs are simply not available in a laptop. The mobile variations of the i7 chip are more expensive than the desktop versions. Basically you pay a price for having a laptop.

Cheerio John

If you look at the specs on your lap top it comes with both an i5 and an i7 variation, hard drives are 7,200 and 5,400 rpm, the GTX 860M card I was unable to spot on the comparison chart, but a GTX 970M is in tier six on TOMS. The maximum SSD is 250 gigs not enough for Trainz and the operating system in my opinion.

Your lap top maybe sufficient to run Trainz at the sliders settings you prefer to your satisfaction but a desktop is not limited in the same way as a laptop for example an AMD R9 295X2 or an nVidia GTX Titan Z class of GPUs are simply not available in a laptop. The mobile variations of the i7 chip are more expensive than the desktop versions. Basically you pay a price for having a laptop.

Cheerio John

Yes, if I look at the specs, however I didn't buy the specs you are looking at. Do you know, it has the ability to be customized. I have the i7 CPU, with two SSDs (yes, TWO) that are 512 GB and 1 TB. So, the maximum SSD is not 250 GB, either, you can change it to whatever you want or add a second one. You might have a lot of stuff, so that's why you consider 250 GB to be not enough. I didn't pay much for this laptop, it wasn't over $2000 like others have stated, not even over $1500. I spent way more on my desktop, and decided this time to try a heavy duty laptop. This laptop is beyond the scope of sufficient with all sliders at maximum settings. As for the mobile variations of i7 being more expensive than desktop versions, that is not necessarily true in my situations, either, as I do purchase the extreme editions in my desktops. And very well worth the investment. That PC has lasted me since 2009, and still works really well. Got my $$$ worth! How many years of not having to upgrade the CPU, and still not needing to now? 6! LOL

Anyways, that is my experience, so I stick to this.

Paul

Back