Would like an explanation

stouthm

Get over it
First, my system: DELL Dimension E520, Pentium D, 2.67 GHz, 2MB RAM, 510W power supply.

I switched out a GeForce 8600GTS/256 card with a GeForce 8800GT/512.

Running the same section on my route with the two cards produced the same frame rates. I used cab view.

I'm somewhat disappointed as I thought the 8800GT card would produce much better frames rates. I'm thinking the Pentium D has something to do with it. Any thoughts, feedback or ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Did that. When I tried to install the drivers that came with the card it said that the drivers I already had were newer than what I was going to install.

Your CPU is the bottleneck in your system. Pair that GPU with a Duo Core, and you'll have your framerates. Simplistic, I know, but just consider the dates the Pentium D, and the 8800 were new and you have a pretty obvious explanation.

Did that. When I tried to install the drivers that came with the card it said that the drivers I already had were newer than what I was going to install.

I thought you had to uninstall old drivers before you installed the new drivers. At least that is the instructions for 7000 series. I guess the 8000 series could be different.:eek:

According to the specs in wiki 8800GT is twice as fast 8600GT. Hardware limitations not withstanding that card should blow the old one away.:eek:

Your CPU is the bottleneck in your system. Pair that GPU with a Duo Core, and you'll have your framerates. Simplistic, I know, but just consider the dates the Pentium D, and the 8800 were new and you have a pretty obvious explanation.

Agree with ED, the CPU is holding your 8800GT back.

Yes. The Pentium D is an old CPU. You should seriously consider upgrading it. You should be able to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo with little or no problems.

Chris

I thought that the Pentium D might be the bottle neck. If I'm going to upgrade I will go for the Core 2 Quad BUT I have to find out if my mother board can handle it. How do I do that? I can get the MB info from Belarc but after that I don't know where to go.

And thanks to everyone for responding. Great forum.

I thought that the Pentium D might be the bottle neck. If I'm going to upgrade I will go for the Core 2 Quad BUT I have to find out if my mother board can handle it. How do I do that? I can get the MB info from Belarc but after that I don't know where to go.

Hello

First of all find out what motherboard you have and model no you have in your PC then go onto the manufacturers website find out if it will take a Core 2 Quad processor and you can also check the manuel that came with your motherboard.

Regards

Ahsan:wave:

I Doubt VERY seriously if you can do a quad core in that dell system. I dont believe that the mobo can handle it. Dell generally sacrifices performance over longevity.:eek:

Kenny

Back