Windows7 Which Version?

1. Windows 7 is not 'needed' in order to run Trainz. Trainz was designed for XP.
2. Windows 7 will not be released until October 22.
3. I have been using Windows 7 Ultimate RC1 64-bit for about three weeks now and TRS2004 runs superbly. I cannot comment on other versions of 7. I own 2006 & 2009 but haven't got around to installing them yet.

Darrel

Last edited:
1. Windows 7 is not 'needed' in order to run Trainz. Trainz was designed for XP.
3. I have been using Windows 7 Ultimate RC1 64-bit for about three weeks now and TRS2004 runs superbly. I cannot comment on other versions of 7. I own 2006 & 2009 but haven't got around to installing them yet.

Darrel
I have no doubt about the designed for OS. Also, the release date is well into the future but Microsoft is offering nice discounts for pre-ordering so you need to know which version will run the program. Can you determine which version the Beta represents. Although XP is a very good OS we are probably getting close to Microsoft making serious noises about support. Further there maybe developed programs that need Windows-7 to run properly. Finally the next OS after XP will not allow an upgrade from XP. You will need to pay full price for it. For me it is time to give Microsoft some money, but as little as possible!

Darrel
I have no doubt about the designed for OS. Also, the release date is well into the future but Microsoft is offering nice discounts for pre-ordering so you need to know which version will run the program. Can you determine which version the Beta represents? Although XP is a very good OS we are probably getting close to Microsoft making serious noises about support. Further there maybe developed programs that need Windows-7 to run properly. Finally the next OS after XP will not allow an upgrade from XP. You will need to pay full price for it. For me it is time to give Microsoft some money, but as little as possible!

This might interest you:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare-editions

Theoretically, it doesn't matter which version you have, since they all have the same innards, it's the add-ons (like XP virtualisation) you pay for. Incidentally, the beta is Ultimate (the RC - Release Candidate - that Stagefright was using), but if you don't need (or want) all the toys then Home Premium will be enough. If you're buying from an equipment manufacturer, there are more basic versions available, but they're probably not worth it.

However, some (by no means all) Trainzers have had trouble with Vista - the Windows 7 kernal is very similar to Vista, so it might be worth doing a little research to see if you'll be wanting the XP mode (note you need hardware support for this). Have you tried the beta yourself?

Cheers
BidMod.

TS2009 works fine under W7 64-bit. I too have been using for about 3 weeks now and have not had one crash. It is very stable and I will most likely purchase it when it's available.

John

Yeah Dick, I think I'm going to take the bait as well. May as well while I can still afford electricity; cap'n'trade is going to kill me!:D

Back