Why do you like trainz?

FCEN59

A Few years ago I strolled into Target and saw on the bargain shelf (9.99 and under) Ultimate Trainz Collection. I bought it and took it home and installed it on my Dads computer (his laptop at the time was the only windows computer in the house). I enjoyed the experience. And I was impressed with the sim (though there weren't any steam engines and I didn't know about add ons or the download station). About a year ago while looking at the same shelf at target I saw a pack for TS 2009 and TS 2010, and I knew I had to have it. But also I had been want Train Simulator 2014 from Railworks. I did get that for Christmas, but was disappointed in the method of installation for the game. Once it was installed, it wasn't long before it was uninstalled as it was operating very poorly. ANy way to get to the point. I like Trainz for several reasons. 1, the installation is easy and the instructions are simple to understand. 2, there is a large amount of freeware for trainz, and since newer versions of trainz accept older files it is easier to find what you want. 3, the way the menu is set up is easy to follow. 4. The surveyor application makes route building and consisting much easier (especially since we now don't have to use trackmarks to place consists). 5. The display settings are separate from the game itself which makes it easier to tweak things, which is the reason I had to uninstall railworks 4 because of an error that occurred after I tweaked the settings. So my question to all concerned is why do you like trainz?

I'm glad you stumbled on to Trainz! :) I did bite over 10 years ago when I was using MSTS, the forerunner to the other train simulator. There was a Paint Shed for MSTS so you could customize your own train cars. It was awkward and I think I used it once, but I also noticed the link to www.auran.com on the box and went to the website. I was truly impressed by the early version, it may have been Trainz 1.3, and there was a demo. I ran the demo, but it kept crashing on my computer due to my really awful video card. I kept watching the website and when TRS2004 was announced, I got my copy in December 2003 from CompUSA.

So it's been a 10 year journey for me with the same program and I haven't lost interest in it yet as the program has only gotten better over the years even with the various hiccups and bumps along the way.

John

Personally, I remember walking into a Morrisons store in Hollinwood near my house and saw UTC on a shelf in there. It had a photo of a Class 323 EMU on the front which, admittedly, I wasn't a fan of back then (I absolutely love them now) which did dissuade me from buying it, but I bought it anyway and realised there wasn't even a 323 on the game :hehe::eek:

That was probably 10 years ago (considering it was on the shelf at the time it must have been released not long before) and Trainz has evolved so much since. I love the ability to operate a real railway that I've built to a timetable that I've devised using stock that I've repainted. It's a great feeling, and something which I feel the current 'other' simulator is missing.

Trainz rules!

G'day, I like trainz because I don't have to go to the barber any more to have my hair cut, trainz takes care of that now.
regards
Barrie

I like Trainz because as an ex-railwayman from British Rail days it offers me the experiences of travelling around many areas of the world seeing different locations and driving different locomotives pulling different coaching stock and cargo wagons. My personal background knowledge of travelling across the world seeing how various railway systems working and then being able to replicate that in the game is quite phenomenal. The exceptional creations, especially freeware from the whole community across the globe, allow me to either drive via the cab utilising all the operable levers and switches that work, to give you the effect of being in the driver's seat and working to your own pace. Alternatively, you can operate your trains from outside the cab viewing the magnificent scenery as you drive along, and coupled to the fact that you can personalise your installed routes to your heart's content using the vast amount of ground textures, scenery items, skies, seasonal changes in flora and fauna, tracks and signalling equipment, all quite simple tasks that can be done at the touch of a few buttons, especially, using the replace function in surveyor, is quite fantastic. Coupled to the fact that you have the opportunity to exchange different components very easily in your locomotives and rolling stock within the config.txt allows such a diverse experience that no other train simulator game can offer, all done very quickly, simply and effectively. Purchasing Payware items makes the game even more imaginative, and with the outstanding quality of these assets ensure that you gain a more pleasurable experience at a reasonable price. New starters have to overcome the complexities of the Content Manager and other intricate variations under the hood, so to speak, but, once you've gained the understanding of how the game performs on your computer/laptop, etc, you can choose any option of how to play the game in editor. Of course, there are pros and cons with all software games, but, at the moment Trainz for me is the only simulator that comes anywhere close to reminding me of my days actually working within the industry and my fond memories that it evokes, nothing else comes close.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

I like Trainz because, well it's suited for all computers, unlike railworks which for some can be a LAGFEST.

E.g

Good computer-12 or 10
Goodish-09
Badish-06
OLD--04

I also like it because of the glorious past you can recreate, and do whats not supposed to be possible. :D

Like you could build a mixed gauge modern day broad+Standard(Narrow as well if you're really prepared) gauge line, nowadays, that would be stupid, but in Trainz, it's fantastic.

Its also fantastic for everyone, as theres a range of fantastical freeware and payware available.

My shed is filled with freeware, and always will be cause of America...all the payware in $.... :(

GO TRAINZ! KEEP STEAMING! :p

I like Trainz because it runs on my computer, the graphics are a great compromise between "This is so realistic I want to pull my eyes out, it's so hideous!" and "Wow. Look at this crap. :/ " And it has a variety of content.

P.S. I stumbled across it the same way you did, except I was at Best Buy.

Best sim out there....Really easy to make nice routes with, and very nice and easy to edit stuff such as sounds and cabs and all the above......

This sim blows all other sims right out of the water :Y:

My hat goes off to the makers of this great sim :wave:

Well this is a thread that has come up in variation previously of course and always interesting.

At first I knew about MS Train Sim and tried that however the thought of trying to build something was a terrible climb mode and for my life experience I am not that techy inclined. For the average person a no-no. So I did a passing search for railway simulators and Trainz (4) came up and had me curious so I bought it. What I found appealing was the whole layout of the thing. The map was a heck of a lot better than MS and you could build and create so dashed easily. It struck me that I could then reproduce actual systems and jumped in and never looked back. Moving from train to train or directing where a train goes and that much better map I mention and thousands of items for downloading. Hooked, i then bought a lifetime ticket.

Time to time what had been a great healthy life was interfered with by some permanent health probs developed that came. So from time to time I might get stuck in a for a day or two and Trainz is better than the doctor! Just as well I am not married or the the other half would be using Trainz for a divorce settlement!

I first saw trainz on the shelf many years ago and ummed and ahhed as to whether to buy as I was thinking at the time wasn't trains a male thing? Silly I know, but females gaming was not really heard of and if I mentioned I was a gamer, people would go "okaaay". Anyways, I am so glad I went ahead and bought trainz2004 at that time.

I enjoy trainz as I get to see my imaginative world I have built so easily from scratch in surveyor, come to life with sounds, movement and the added bonus of riding the rails in passenger view. I always get a little thrill, when another train passes or hear the sounds of the animals or a whistle in the distance. Plus I can go for an "excursion" whenever I want :) . Trainz and a game called Fallen Earth, kept me sane during a harrowing time over many months in the past year and half where I had to endure treatments and needles, but when home could go into my "other" world and temporarily put the real world away for a time which was a blessing and kept me "strong" . I enjoy the forums and the screenshot competition and reading up on tips and tricks from posters and how to solve the niggles that trainz sometimes throws at me.

From a child to the present day the steam train always fascinated me. My late Uncle used to have some great stories from the time when he used to drive the KA's. He loved those trains so much and were his life :) .
I have waffled on enough I think.

well, the reason why I like trainz is because of steam engines and easy railroad building, and the enormous amount of content available.

Because:
A 100 mile route would require a basketball court gymnasium in N Scale model railroading
It would require tens of thousands of dollars of locos, rolling stock, and scenery
The time to build such a layout would be a lifetime work of a hundred workers

Driving Trainz is as close as most will come to actually getting inside a cab of a loco
A conductors job is much more dangerous than running Trainz
In Trainz a derailment does not cost millions of dollars of cleanup, and has no injuries nor fatalities

Because Trainz is not a job, it's an adventure ... and actually working for a RR is a real PITA job !

Last edited:
I like Trainz because it has save me a fortune in money in brass engines,{not really} has let me run routes that could never be possibly modeled. And that instead of just a few people working on a layout, you have thousands{seems like} working on content for all railroads. Bringing new knowledge of the world of rail. :D

I like Trainz mostly because of how flexible the simulator is, compared to something like Microsoft Train Simulator. (For example, a route creator, operating more than one train in quickplay mode, ect.)

I like it because i can recreate 500 miles long routes without having to buy an industrial complex to have space for a model railroad :) And i have 900 locomotives that do NOT cost $200 + each :D

I like and always have enjoyed Trainz, because you can virtually do anything with it. The program is set up in such a way that allows us as the user to have a lot of control and add-ons.Plus you can also drive cars, boats, complete tasks, edit these tasks to make them as difficult as you feel you would like, and create.

Also, like you, I picked up my first copy of Trainz in store. It was the demo of Trainz 2006 (called Trainz Driver) and I really enjoyed that. I saw 2009 was coming out sometime later and decided to give it a go. Wow, I've been around for a while :eek:

I think it is because of the realism, compared to the plastic Athearns with Kaydee coupler's in HO scale, and some of the other stuff I had. It easily picks up where I left off with BRASS trains, too. I definitely get my money's worth, too.

I think it is because of the realism, compared to the plastic Athearns

When I discovered Trainz, I wasn't actually looking for Trainz. It was a random google search for "Athearn Trainz", then I saw this TRS04 screenshot and was like "ooh what's this?". :eek: Rest is history.

Back