Which installation to use for TRS19 Platinum

pitkin

When I bought (and apparently installed) Platinum, it has made a new program folder in addition to my TRS19 SP3 program folder. OK, but I kept (only) using the TRS19 SP3 program. The opening window of the TRS19 SP3 program shows "Platinum", and the UDS function is usable. But both installations have their own build folder, of course. So I have no development in the "Platinum" build. Do I have to migrate my work from the TRS19 SP3 build, or can I just point the "Platinum" installation to the TRS19 SP3 build? My concern is if there is some new functionality (such as clutter examples) that I will be leaving behind. (Both installations show the same build number).

Thanks

You can just point the new Platinum install to the "old" TRS19 content folder. You won't lose anything in the process because the features such as UDS and other "nifty" things are enabled based upon your subscription.
What you can't do is load up both copies at the same time if they both point to the same data folders. The database will end up getting corrupted because both program copies are attempting to lock and control the data at the same time.

With that said, I recommend keeping the older program version as a test version and place a duplicate of your data somewhere else for testing purposes. If you have multiple hard disks, this makes the process even easier. I, for example, have two very large hard discs with a duplicate of my working data on both drives. My E: drive contains my working version while my F: drive contains a testing version with the same data and the Beta version points to that.

I did this so I can replicate problems in both versions. If there's a bug in the Beta, I can verify if the bug existed prior or it's a new thing that just cropped up in the test. By using the same data, I can keep things on an even playing field. When the program version is upgraded, I will sometimes keep some of the routes i modified in the Beta version if I like what I did there. As always, I also have backups of everything in case there's a whoops somewhere along the line.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I will point the Platinum install to my "working" build. That build is on a ssd, so that is the best for me.

Back