Which game for a very young player?

I just tried that and it said I have 4mb of memory installed! I think I have RDRAM. I upgraded once before but I can't remember what it was. I know that I can't install just one card, I have to put in two cards that add up to the memory I want, and I have 4 slots and all of them are filled. When I first got this pc (DELL-256mb) the memory was very expensive, but later on I added two 128mb cards for under $200 which bumped me up to 512mb, which still seemed expensive to me but was a whole lot cheaper than the original price.

Do you have the Dell model number?

Thanks John

I have the original Trainz demo for my 5 year old son and he loves this game. I want to buy the full version for him for Christmas but I am also considering Trainz 2004. My computer is from 2001 and only has 512mb RAM and NVidia GeForce4 64mb, so I don't think anything after the 2004 version would work on my computer. My son can't really play scenario games yet but he loves to build track layouts and scenery and drive the trains and really loves the original Trainz. Which game do you think would be best? The original Trainz or 2004? He can't read so if there are too many scenario challenges it wouldn't be fun for him, he just wants to build and drive the trains. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice you might have for me.:)
For building and running TRS2006 is the way to go. FWIW, my laptop can't run 2004, but run 2006 with very little problem (other than frame rate while running)

Is the demo you have Trainz or UTC? I ask because 2004 and 2006 have different method for placing trains on the layout.

For building and running TRS2006 is the way to go. FWIW, my laptop can't run 2004, but run 2006 with very little problem (other than frame rate while running)

Is the demo you have Trainz or UTC? I ask because 2004 and 2006 have different method for placing trains on the layout.

04 and 06? I thought the changes were between UTC and 04.

peter

changes

04 and 06? I thought the changes were between UTC and 04.

peter

Hi Peter,
Yes, they were and you're right.

In UTC it was necessary to place a marker and then set stock to that, so it mean you had to put these markers all over the place.
This changed with 04 when it became possible just to put stock on wherever you liked and completely free of the markers - they went out of the (carriage) window.
I have run Trainz right from, well, Trainz until 04 so was very pleased with that modification.

So unless 06 has yet another new way of setting stock on the tracks, you are right.

The reason I never went to 06 is that as a route creator it didn't seem to offer me any major advances over 04 which runs fine and does everything I want of a train sim. Also, and as has been noted, older version assets work on it without a hitch (usually...) so many people can benefit, and also there is a wealth of add-on assets available to right-back-when if/when our friend decides to upgrade and finds it a good idea to venture further into the Trainz experience - as we all do - eventually... it's far too tempting not to.

Angela

Last edited:
This is realy about the kids having fun it dosent matter what ver of trainz you have when your "5" as long as you can lay trackz n move mountains and DRIVE! :wave:

My nine year old son doesn't like to drive, he just likes to SMITE buildings with the lightning, therefore, I recommend 2004.
Ed

Last edited:
My nine year old son doesn't like to drive, he just likes to SMITE buildings with the lightning, therefore, I recommend 2004.
Ed

My 4 year old grand-daughter loves the SMITE and the MMMG. She also knows how to lay the simple track and smooth it out after the MMMG.:hehe: She is just having fun with it.:wave:

Gotta agree with most everyone here. I have both '04 and '06 and uninstalled '06 and only play '04, now. '04 is a smoother running game and will work better on a small system. If you buy the Deluxe Edition of '04 you will get all the upgrades and have nothing else to worry about.
My signature below will show you the box cover you should look for to buy.

Back