Where is www.Discreet.com?

wridenour

There goes a...train!
Hi,
I just downloaded Gmax and when I try to start it, it makes me register first. It shows me a link to the Discreet website but when I click it I just get an eror that says "Can't find File". I can't find Discreet even when I go searching the web.
Where is Discreet?

Thanks,
wridenour:wave:

He said need register for serial to open gmax That why here what they said "gmax requires a registration code when you first start up, which you can no longer get":confused:

YES YOU CAN!!! :D :D Go to the link I gave earlier, register, and it will give you a code. It is a LONG one in yellow, so you want to copy / paste it into the field where the code goes to launch GMAX.

Who is this 'They' Perhaps the information 'they' give should be checked before it is passed on.

they said "gmax requires a registration code when you first start up, which you can no longer get":confused:

There should be no problem getting a registration code from Turbosquid.

You have to become a registered Turbosquid user to get it but it then takes you to a screen that requests details for the Gnax registration. I didn't go farther than that screen but up to that point it works fine.

Don't forget, although Auran have decided that content for TS2009 will need more than Gmax can give, Gmax is used for more games than just Trainz and is not likely to fade away. Just as importantly it is still a valid method of creation for every Trainz version including TS2009.

Cheers

Narrowgauge

Howdy "NarrowGauge"! Been a long time since I've been here. Hope all is well with you.

In the previous post, you mentioned, "Auran have decided that content for TS2009 will need more than Gmax can give".

Are there posts concerning this and are objects, (like my engines) going to be compatable?

NOT intending to hijack this thread, just looking for some links to educate myself.

Thanks!

Terry

Terry

My understanding is as follows:-

TS2009 allows increased detail to be built into content and because of improvements in the code this does not have a negative effect on frame rates. In fact even with pre-TS2009 content it is reported that frame rates are improved. These new methods will not work with Gmax. Initially we were told that only content made for TS2009 using 3DSMax would be acceptable which created much unhappiness. Hence my comment.

However.

I see the current situation as follows. Content can still be made in Gmax to correct 2004/6 standards which will work quite acceptably in TS2009. The only difference is that they will not look as good when compared with content made to the new standards and they may reduce frame rates slightly. They will look just the same as they do in previous versions.

The new CM2 (a more stable, and much improved CMP) has a more rigorous checking system and will require more care when creating but it will not prevent content made in Gmax from being used.

My take on this is that Gmax will be here with us for a long time, there is no need to change to the unintuitive Blender or the very costly 3DSMax for creating content that will work in all versions. As other games also use Gmax for third-party creation I am very certain that Gmax will not disappear.

A final comment. Auran have a stock of nearly 100,000 content items on the DLS, probably most made with Gmax, they would not create a program that made all that stock obsolete. The DLS is one of the strengths of the Trainz system

You mentioned your engines. I have gathered that the treatment of steam locos has been much improved, even better than TC3 but some config and specification changes will be needed to get the best effect. Unchanged, they will still work in TS2009, mine do.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! Detail is very important, (to me), and understandably the later versions of Trainz would naturally look better.

I agree that they would not make everything already on the DLS obsolete, but they may inherently be obsolete if they look like a cartoon compared to a more realistic object next to it when placed in 2009.

On "pre-2009" objects, textures could be improved, (not too big of a deal) on most items, mesh could be improved also IF they are not as concerned about poly count as they once were.

Still, we carry on.

Changing the config(s) for my engines would be no big deal, but I did not do the specs for them. Not real sure what would need to be done there. I'll cross that bridge when / if I get to it!

Thanks again!

Terry

Last edited:
Back