Where is TS12 saving its trainz options to?

VinnyBarb

*HRH in real life*
Please let me explain, I have TS12 61388 (among another version with a different serial number) installed on two different PCs which do not normally connect to the Internet. For the last 2 days when starting TS12 on either offline PC, they refuse to start up but will do so when going online and connecting to the N3V server. When I get the startup screen, in 'options"/"display options" the screen resolution is reset to 1024x674 (I always run 1980x900 in the past) and DirX is reset to Open GL. My username, serial number and passwords are OK, as taddeamon tells me: "Logged on successfully to N3V's server and validated" or such cr@p. I never had these above settings on my TS12, why the blazes is TS12 doing all of a sudden doing this.

Both TS12s versions before that were working as they should for some months without having to be online and to be getting validated. Then, as said, some months ago when ALL previous was working offline as this should be for at least one plus years, I had a similar problem with TS12 61388, where I had to briefly go online to register and validate something else, not related to Trainz, a simple program I had just installed WITHOUT me even touching anything remotely of Trainz/TS12. I think something from N3V's side COULD/MUST HAVE installed something automatically (DRM checks?) in TS12 as then I had to go through the same bl**dy routine of being online all the time if I wanted to use TS12. I use both versions of TS12 ONLY for testing my created content, nothing else, hence NO need to ever update any bl**dy content for it. All else that needs not to go out or phone home is blocked in my firewall, only the trainz.exe, all taddeamons jumping up (at least 2, sometimes 3 of them at the same time), the trainz utility and one or two more Trainz related tasks are allowed to go through my firewall when going online. In other words, all Trainz related tasks are allowed onto the Internet.

I have bought several tin can/cookie tin versions of TS12, which are DRM FREE, (always have been, always are) and have at least 2 of these TS12 versions 61388 with different serial numbers installed on 2 different offline PCs and all were working previous OK when offline. Only as said, some 3 months or so this all started to play up with my 2 different installed TS12 61388 settings. It was around at the time when N3V was messing with DRM introduction and then taking these DRM checking code away again, after so many people had complained.

Does anyone know where TS12 is saving the above display options? As on a restart of TS12, as said, I again have these display settings in "options"/"display options" the screen resolution reset to 1024x674 (I always run 1980x900 in the present and in past) and DirX is reset to Open GL. My username, serial number and passwords are OK, as taddeamon tells me: "Logged on successfully to N3V's server and validated" or such cr@p. I have a userdata folder in each of the above TS12 folders on the 2 different PCs, logically in there this would be saved but I could not find anything resembling this saving. In the olden days one had at least a "Trainz Option" text file to set such simple things but N3V in their wisdom (or stupidity, take your pick) changed all that.

What is going on here, as I only want to reinstall TS12 again with ALL its usually f*%^ups and then reinstalling all the cumbersome patches and hotfixes again. Why oh why does tadddeamon every time when being offline trying to do its infernal checking and then possibly/sometimes doing a data repair again and again and again, although I HAVEN"T INSTALLED ANYTHING from the DLS. As last night (some 20 hours ago before the servers went down) I was babysitting this sh!t to go through its checking for deleted folders, validating some (thank god) only 5000 or so assets and finishing its saving of the database. This was working then but as soon as I restarted the PC offline, a start up of TS12 repeated the same data repair to get TS12 restarted online again. Only, again, by going online and seeing all is getting validated and logged in OK but as said, going offline after switching TS12 off and starting again it offlne, it refused to do this time and time again.

I hope someone please can answer these questions and I am thankful for any help.

These trials and tribulations of having to go online every time with a DRM FREE VERSION of TS12 to start it up makes me so worked up, I would like to take a sledgehammer and smash and break all my Trainz DVDs and send them back to N3V to stick these to them where the sun don't shine. Never has any other "game" (what game?) frustrated me so much as this one now does. And now we have TANE but this is for another time.

I have a feeling, NO ONE from N3V will reply here to this post.

Thank you again for any help or explanation why this is going on for me. Does anyone else experience something similar?.

VinnyBarb

To big of a wall of text to read your complete post (it is Sunday morning; give me a break), so just hoping your subject line covers your problem:

Where is TS12 saving its trainz options to?
The trainzoptions.txt file is stored in the root of your TS12 build 49922 install, so in my case C:\Games\TS12.
In TS12SP1... see next post.

Last edited:
In TS12 pre-SP1: Root directory, as said by Oknotsen.

In TS12 with SP1 applied: The UserData folder.

Hope that helps.

Kieran.

Thank you both for your replies, sorry, nothing I could find there of any useful file. I have TS12 SP1 61388 installed on a partition (F:\), what file (text or otherwise) should I be looking for in the UserData folder in TS12's UserData folder there?

VinnyBarb

If you've upgraded to build 61388 recently, you'll need to create the text document yourself, within the UserData folder.

A lot of the entries have no effect in TS12 now, but ones that do include:
-framerate=60
-framestoaverage=16
-disablecarz=1
-freeintcam

And some others.

Kieran.

what file (text or otherwise) should I be looking for in the UserData folder in TS12's UserData folder there?
trainzoptions.txt

I have read more posts of people not being able to find it (and I have to admit I could not find it either in my TS12SP1 install). I have heard of people copy-pasting that file from their 49922 install with success, but I did not verify that myself.

Can someone tell me why they have these "HIDDEN configuration files" that they do not seem to want to make us, the paying public that pays THEIR wages, aware of, and also what we can and cannot do with them.

Surely with a "Game" so called, or any other complex software, there is always loads of hidden options the developers put in to it to let them enable all sorts of goodies, (I know, I was a software developer of complex business software for many years) and we had loads of such "tweaks"
But we also made sure that relevant users/developers etc had full info on these additional config files, and as a result, we had many suggestions for lots more more very useful "special" options that we added to these files.

For developers to keep these all under their "skirts" is unnacceptable. Especially as their are so many problems that I certainly have identified in TS12 that have driven me nuts, a special config file to overcome some/most of this "cr@p" would have been very much more more than welcome.

Come on TS developers - WAKE UP. We are a lot of pretty big boys around here, and WE DO KNOW WHAT WE ARE DOING, so give us the lowdown eh ?

Hi, chopperaddict.

Can someone tell me why they have these "HIDDEN configuration files" that they do not seem to want to make us, the paying public that pays THEIR wages, aware of, and also what we can and cannot do with them.
I'm sure that most existing members are aware of trainzoptions.txt and there is a Wiki page devoted to it and its various options.

Surely with a "Game" so called, or any other complex software, there is always loads of hidden options the developers put in to it to let them enable all sorts of goodies, (I know, I was a software developer of complex business software for many years) and we had loads of such "tweaks"
But we also made sure that relevant users/developers etc had full info on these additional config files, and as a result, we had many suggestions for lots more more very useful "special" options that we added to these files.
Over the years, and especially with TS12 SP1, some of the options have been moved to in-game settings; the -showkuids option, for example, is now an in-game switch as of TS12 SP1.

For developers to keep these all under their "skirts" is unnacceptable. Especially as their are so many problems that I certainly have identified in TS12 that have driven me nuts, a special config file to overcome some/most of this "cr@p" would have been very much more more than welcome.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz/Trainzoptions.txt_file

Come on TS developers - WAKE UP. We are a lot of pretty big boys around here, and WE DO KNOW WHAT WE ARE DOING, so give us the lowdown eh ?
And then there are a lot of people who don't know what they are doing and would screw things up. ;)

Now, I don't know how people came to know of those tweaks, as I have not been Trainzing for quite long enough, but the link above contains a very comprehensive list and indicates that Auran, as they were at the time, must have told the Community about the options at some stage.

Getting back to VinnyBarb's issue, as of TS12 SP1, trainzoptions.txt is in the UserData folder and must be created manually in that location after upgrading from pre-SP1 builds. There won't be anything to look for.

Kieran.

Last edited:
I'm sure that most existing members are aware of trainzoptions.txt and there is a Wiki page devoted to it and its various options.

Can you quote HOW MANY existing users are aware of this? If you don't know, don't post. I call myself an "experienced user" BUT I among others did not know where TS12 61388 (all my installs of TS12) saves these settings. It is no good, to assume EVERYONE knows to import the old trainzoption.txt file (I knew this from the older versions, where this worked wonders) and got at least some features in it to open up the way these ALWAYS worked on my offline PCs before the DRM issues flared up here and I had something from the N3V servers installed in my TS12 when I had to briefly go online for something entirely different, that threw all my TS12 boot options into the garbage bin and now it is asking me each time to reconfigure them again. Why?

FYI, I copied this "trainzoption.txt file" in to the root of my TS12 installed folder, just to make sure, I did similar copying this to the userdata folder in TS12 and lo and behold, now at least it opens TS12 in my 1920x1080 resolution, although this ALWAYS came up before as 1024x687 or so. But where the hell is the option to set PERMANENT the DirX option, as every time I boot TS12 up, it is reset to OpenGL as apparently this is NOT saved when getting out of the "option menu" to start TS12. Why not?

All my TS12 versions were working faultless for at least 2 years OFFLINE, up to, as said a few months ago when N3V introduced DRM in installed, already bought previous as FREE DRM versions of TS12, my bought versions were BEFORE ALWAYS DRM free and I still say, this stuffed up all my installed TS12 versions with N3V's stupid fiddling with these. I hear you say, ask the Helpdesk, YEAH RIGHT, just read how many people are still waiting for a reply from there.

And then there are a lot of people who don't know what they are doing and would screw things up. ;)

Probably less people than N3V DID to screw up our versions of TS12.

Getting back to VinnyBarb's issue, as of TS12 SP1, trainzoptions.txt is in the UserData folder and must be created manually in that location after upgrading from pre-SP1 builds. There won't be anything to look for.Kieran.

Thanks for that, I already did so but this is only partially working for me. Looks like I have no other option than to reinstall TS12 from the start, patch all the updates and hotfixes to hopefully work offline again permanent in TS12 after getting the new install of TS12 registered and verified with all the associated hassles and stuffups that might/will occur after doing so.

VinnyBarb

Can you quote HOW MANY existing users are aware of this? If you don't know, don't post. I call myself an "experienced user" BUT I among others did not know where TS12 61388 (all my installs of TS12) saves these settings. It is no good, to assume EVERYONE knows to import the old trainzoption.txt file
I was referring to people knowing the existence of the file itself, not to people knowing where it goes in TS12 SP1.

I think it was silly of N3V to change the location as it has confused many people - as we both know from our own experience.

Make sure you're running Trainz as Administrator; this may solve the Trainz re-setting issue.

There is also the trainzoptions.txt command '-render=renderdirectx' which may also assist.

Kieran.

Last edited:
All sounds useful, but can someone point me/others at any form of completish listing of the usable options available for TS12. That would really be most useful.

Thanks again all for your inputs, I bit the bullet and moved all my 2xTS12 installed files on to an external hard drive and reinstalled TS12 fresh after pulling my Internet cable from the PC. TS12 installed OK, patches I had on my hard drives patched OK, now I am in version TS12 61388 and all is working as it should. Now I will stay off the Internet with this PC forever as I have 2 other PCs I can go onto the Net.

I tried to access and load from my external hard drive the other 2 TS12 versions I had moved earlier to and both done a 20 or so minutes data repair and all these 2 versions are now running perfect, opening up and running as they should. The reason I got cranky was, one of these older TS12 installs had all my imported routes in there including my over 10 years build "monster route", which takes in real time some 5 and a half hours to drive from one end to the other end, which I thought I had lost.

Sufficient to say, now I am a happy "chappie" again :hehe:.

VinnyBarb

So very glad to hear that. And good useful information. i might be able to use my TS12 again...
This doesn't work if the machine ever connects to the internet? (sorry, answer to that is prob earlier in this thread... too much a novice to follow a lot of it...)

i really only run my TS10 (but there are some rtes i like to drive in '12).

Could this work so long as TS12 never runs while my computer is connected to the net?

Thanks for any and all advice,
chris

I installed TS12 new from a just bought boxed version as all my other previous bought boxed versions were the original install, which had to be patched up to SP1 HF4 61388. The new boxed version of TS12 I bought is already upgraded to 61388 and I DID NOT have to go onto the Internet during and after installing that. Once the serial and my user name etc. were placed there into its options on the first splash screen, TS12 61388 worked straight away offline.

As said, once I connected my little external 2TB hard drive with all the previous versions I had on my PC before, they ALL worked all of a sudden OFFLINE. Except 2 of these had to do a data repair offline and after the data repair I copied these back onto my offline PC, where I now can access these. You might ask, why so many different TS12s on my PC, well, the bare bone install is for testing my created content, it opens fast. One of the other TS12s is my building and driving version with all my imported and created routes in it. The last TS12 is a spare, if something might go wonky on any of the 2 other TS12 installs.

As said, now I am happy again and THANK YOU ALL for your inputs.

VinnyBarb

Back