Whats The best course of action to return to Trainz?

class158

Hi, Im a very old :sleep: TRS2004 member, presently fed up with my Flight Sim x Just not operating properly under win7. I dearly love to get back into Trainz, because the Cost of a real N gauge model railway is like £400 plus, and only got the 10feetx6feet computer room it could even fit in. So, I bought TRS 2010 a year ago or more, But this computer at the time wouldn't run it, took 5 minutes to rez 1 station and a bundle of rails, before even starting a Project. I tried 2006 version, but the inventory made me very dizzy, scrolling down hundreds of items, in one insane long List!

Anyway, I am lucky enough to still have my RailWaves Payware DVD , Which has pretty much all I need to restart a Layout, being My old West Coast Mainline route From sorta near Cumbria, from Portals into Preston , then, several blocks down to Liverpool for Oil refinery, SeaPort Container, That takes Aviation Spirit to Manchester Airport, My Actual West coast Mainline lines ends After about Wigan, disappearing into Portals, to the Midlands and beyond.

between Preston & those Southern Portals I had the lines going to Manchester Airport, and a couple of industries, mainly Volkswagen vehicle pick up Auto loaders, and a couple of factorys that use the wood I produce from a sawmill in Cumbria. The Blackpool part, where I still live, will have to be left out, if Im to have any sort of reasonable frame rate, so I just upgraded my win 7 a bit more, But to be perfectly honest, I dont know Which Trainz version to use, thats going to be more user friendly or less laggy Than 2004 version was when I was younger.LOL What I DONT want to do, is have to spend hours Looking for assets, just to make a 08 Diesal Shunter ready to use, Im 64 nearly now, I like to just get on with the job in hand now, and hope there's an improvement on that Frustrating part of Trainz, trying to find missing Assets.

So On these basic Specifications, could someone suggest me a version, that would run pretty well on my benQ 24inch Wide screen monitor at its native resolution of 1920x 1080 on DVI slot please?

basic information is:

2.8gig Celeron Dual core proc.
500 GiG H/D 250Gig Remaining.
6 Gig DDR3 RAM (max is 8gig)
New installed ASUS Xonar DG Audio 2.1 Sound card with software manager, Equalizer,pre sets etc.
New installed (updating my Nvidia GT440) AMD Radeon HD 6570 [Display adapter] (Although Not huge in comparison, (also only 1 slot PCIE cards will fit this Motherboard. Sound card is next to it) I got it because it has 80% better efficiency At rendering, Pixels /texture mapping, and Shader performance ? Works Like lightning on my SWTOR now, no waiting for rezzing). Second life Rezzing is also much improved, maps appear 50% quicker, so think Im on right track!
New Genious GX gaming sound 2.1 Speaker system
New Logitech G105 gaming keyboard.
Perixx Lazer Gaming mouse with DPI switching.
Fast Virgin Fibre Optic Broadband Network
All USB devices connected to a powered Advent 6 port module to the fast USB port rear of Computer.
Win 7 64 bit home edition OS
All up to date drivers, plus Flash, Adobe, and other applications regularly updated.
Auto Defrag every Monday -Midnight.
Did have, and paid for on my old XP computer, The Virgin Voyager set, But lost it, when sold on computer, although saved the data to a DVD-R, It just wouldnt install on this Win7 computer, kept saying, "what program Do you want to use", I thought it would be Trainz .exe But it never showed in engine Shed, so looks like I need a new voyager Set?

Many thanks for any suggestions you may have

Mike

The version that is most efficient ie will give you wore frames per second would be TS12 SP1 but the difference between it and TS2010 isn't that much. Generally speaking dual core Celerons are not reknown for their high end game performance http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html, nor is an HD 6570, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html.

6 Gigs of memory is an odd amount, get Belarc and see what it says, check to see exactly which dual core Celeron you have, also check with Crucial.com you maybe running dual channel or it might be a triple channel board but I suspect you have 3 2 gig memory sticks in a dual channel board. You need to know the motherboard and how the memory is in it to sort that one out.

After that choose your content carefully and it should run. Try with a new layout, just put track and a simple diesel loco on it and see how it does. If it runs then add content to your heart's content.

Cheerio John

Hi John, See you still here, definitely a veteran Arent You?

Thanks for the notes, I now know that That Celerons are not suitable for the amount of applications I have on here, which includes Photoshop and other 3D modelling programs, It came with this budget Computer which I upgraded gradually myself, But Just been on to my PC repair shop, and I quoted the Motherboard details from Belarc, Which I already have installed, I cant fit a Quad processor onto it, but hes going to get back to me with a price of a Better Intel pentium proc, For some reason, This Motherboard doesnt support Athlon processors, sounds like a crappy board doesnt it? The memory, I just upgraded last month from 4 gig, to what I thought was going to be 8 gig, but only 6 gig shows as being installed, so hes going to have a look at that, and do a deal maybe with the new DDR3 I put in, I have two memory slots. If I bought the wrong one, doubtful as I got the same 4gig DDR3 stick from a very good memory dealer on Ebay, who has never let me down yet , my days of knowing about the inside of computers has long gone :D So Waiting on my guy to come up with something, so comp' can go in next week, and maybe have a good clean out too. Probably order the 2010 version again, better chance with the new graphics card and a genuine Intel proccessor + get my RAM up to the 8gig I Put in, but shows 6gig only , wierd ! Also the 2010 version, seemed to have a different type of download station, to What Im used to, if I remember correctly, once You started to download, say a loco or carriage, it would download Kbs bits of asset data, and end up with a finished item. But as say, never got to use it. I cant remember where i got the Virgin Voyager From, it was, I think from a third party site, But, I have no recollection of the name of site, or any other info, apart from whats on the CD-R I saved the data too which says Virgin Voyager, but it dont appear to have the files Trainz needs to install.

Ah! it would seem, that Railwaves has closed its site :(

But, Just opened my railwaves DVD and opened locos, and found the Voyager 221 & the 220, at this moment I cant install them until I get the comp back, and get TRS 2010 from Amazon. But at least they there, which is a relief:)

I let you know How I get on in due course

Thanks

What's the motherboard from belarc and what is the exact processor? A quad won't do you any better than a dual processor by the way for Trainz. Generally motherboards either take Intel or AMD processors. If it will take a celeron then it will probably take one of the faster cpus but double check carefully first if it only has two memory slots it may have other limitations.

Thanks

Cheerio John

Well I think 64 is quite young since I'm I little older.

I'd suggest staying with TS10 for the time being until N3V sort out the problems with TS12. I rather liked TS10 and rarely had any problems with it. TS12 is very nice but also very flaky at this point. I still have TS10 installed.

My monitor is also a 24" Benq although 3-4 years old. TS10 looks good on it. But I have an I7 processor and 6GB memory which are also 3-4 years old. Your video card is much later than mine. A Celeron dual core processor is likely the weak link in your system although I don't think Trainz uses the processor that much anyway. I/O seems to be the bottleneck.

I frequently run TS12, Blender, AssetX, Outlook, Chrome and and Paintshop Pro all at the same time. The only slow part is me since I can't actually use all of them at the same time. :eek:

I have heard that TS12 runs better than TS10 ?

Some with alot of disc space install 2 versions of TS12 (one patched with SP1, and another patched without SP1).

Some have said that to install TS12 outside of Program Files makes it run better, as it avoids the pesky UAC.

I never liked Skype previously, but now I find free Skype an indispensable tool to IM people worldwide, fast !

Last edited:
hi Guys thanks for really useful info, yeah think the old celeron is getting on now, its been working away 4 years on this computer now. @John , Belarc, dont give me any other information except some data below The basic name:
thats:

2.60 gigahertz Intel Celeron
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Motherboard:

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5G41T-M LX2/GB Rev X.0x
Serial Number: MT7016K51105751
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0405 11/22/2010

I doubt if I will here, until after Bank holiday, from my usual PC repairer shop, But, I just hope he comes up with something, when I mentioned
"Bus clock" (what ever that is, 200 megahertz) he didnt seem to optimistic about finding a faster processor for it, unfortunately, I spent so much lately already on the computer in the last 10 weeks, I have to keep this one for at least 1 more year.

@Whitepass. Erm, Hi, I been out of Trainz a while, How can you download Trainz 2010 without having the original disc and serial Number. Funnily enough, I went into Amazon, to find Digital game downloads, as I download mp3s from it on cloud player, but they didnt list any Trainz products for digi Download. I quite liked the 2010 version when first got it, but as I say, it was almost impossible to use way back when this comp was just the basic bare bones when it arrived from a catalogue.
2010 May well, be playable now, since the 2gig ram was upped to 6gig, and two upgrades of the graphic card and other utiliies have been installed in that time.

I would love to get it going for the bank holiday weekend, But no idea about How to download a version I bought as the physical DVD, maybe some one could direct me to a relevant page, where I can find out more about this transaction. I mean PC world & Maplin do at times have Trainz issues on there PC game stands, But just dont fancy 5 mile trek into our "roadworks mad town" to get to the out of town retail park :D

I rather try help myself, so see if I can find The Auren Website and try and Google "downloading lost copys of Trainz 2010, I get back in a bit, see if I have any luck.

My benq Monitor I actually bought for better experience for FSX 9-10 weeks ago, unfortunately my other 2 monitors I was going to use, Is of no use a dual windows, because, seems these Widescreen resolutions arent supported by the normal square 19inch monitors, and all I got was a blank screen on the other two I tried. Its a great Screen though, as Play Star wars online and EA Battlefield, and a tennis game, even the old Sawyer Transport Tycoon, I can use at 1920x1080, but some other classics like "Pharaoh" Just crash, because it just dont like win7.

As soon as I have some sort of working version, up & running, Might as well get a DLS ticket and use my fast optic connection to get stuff from it into play quicker.

back later :)

Ok well, Got into my account, But its not .auran, The site that I am logged into says "Simulator Central", It gives me my personal details and other stuff, but according to the Site, No Trainz versions or serial numbers Found or ever been purchased By me, so dont see how you can 2010 re delivered, if it dont show That I ever bought a physical version. It says, No purchases have been made by me, but I registered 2009 & 2010 versions, so no idea why this site is telling, me no orders ever placed. But did find 2010 version to purchase as a digital download, But not keen on those, it also is in about 5 parts. What happened to the Auran Website?

Click the Planet Auran link at the top of the forum, login if required, left hand side click legacy order history, click invoice, digital downloads will be there if you originally got it that way.

Simulator Central only contains orders made after the new shop, old shop orders are under legacy at Planet Auran.

My feeling is stay with the CPU you have there is a certain amount of hassle involved in upgrading and I don't think its worth it. Memory there is software you can run which will verify your memory. I suspect one memory stick is faulty, which will probably throw you into single channel as opposed to dual channel. Sometimes taking the memory stick out and then putting it back can wipe the connectors slightly to get it working properly. I might try switching the memory round that might help.

Opening the case and switching memory does entail a slight risk of static etc so use an antistatic wrist strap when you do it. For the moment just be careful to avoid any of the Sketchup assets and you should run OK.

Cheerio John

Hi, I have been busy:), I found That I had to go to an old site, as you said above legacy, I found my serial Numbers, But There seems to be no Re-deliver Button to download a digital version of the 2009 or 2010 DVD that I haven't had since 2011 now. Im guessing, that There is no re-delivery through digital means of a DVD boxed Trainz. I know some sites, where, Once you purchase software, it it gets lost, your allowed to re-deliver it from your account, this doesn't seem to be the case here. I do have one Digital download on show, thats for a DLS Ticket payed through Paypal years ago.

Ok, Now I know there's a new store and an old one haha! Thanks Clam1952
Ok, next! Found A windows 7 utility like chk disc, A microsoft memory check / identify memory problems, Did that, took 15 mins in two parts, result, no errors found, system information clearly still says 6gig installed, I will have to take them both out, and check I haven't been sold a 2 gig Stick instead of the 4 gig Im sure I ordered, which would count for there only being 6gig instead of 8gig. I look into that morrow.

Ok If PC guy dont get back to me, I stick with CPU I have, and try and get that extra Ram up to 8gig. Yep, Im well aware of Antistatic possible damage, used to be an auto electrician many years ago. I try not fry those sticks:hehe:

Back to the real world of Trainz, Found some interesting items in the normal DLS, I was just browsing.

Just as in Second Life, where Mesh models are being imported in ever increasing numbers by those clever 3D modellers, The Details and type of objects are getting more and more realistic. I Run an Airport in Second life, albiet, its costs me quite a bit on land fees, But the aircraft you can fly is taking off big time. The latest Boeing 737-800 you can fly, is a proper start up plane with APUs/Batt/lighting panels. The Service vehicles that you can use for turnaround, plus the HUD with Slats/ cabin and other stuff.

I found some Boeing's on the DLS, even an EasyJet livery, now thats handy, as Manchester Airport, runs a lot of Easyjets flights out of Manchester, so thats one ideal Aircraft for my Airport, from spur lines of the west coast mainline, served mainly by Transpennine Express. Still to find any Transpennine class 185's made by anybody, but found a few older DMU with TRPE livery. Also liked the look of some updated Northern rail DMUs made in 2012 I believe, hoping to try them out too. I also found an interactive JHA freightliner Hopper type vehicle, which loads a selection of materials, it would go quite nicely with the class 66 freightliner loco. Also, two fictional, but usable class 66's of weathered coal version and a - Petroleum version, make good pairing to a Gulf TEA Oil Tanker I saw.

Anyway, Im going to get 2010 on a digital download from main site now, its not going to break the bank, Just hope all the parts get linked properly to make the whole .exe program without to much trouble. Oh!, before I go, did Auran ever make a silent invisible track for aircraft? last Time I operated an Airport way back, there was the very annoying click clack still of locomotives in the Air:eek:. Im quite good with modding scripts, if there's a way to remove the sound file, .wav is it?, then may do that, unless there is a silent rail to be had now.

Thanks for all your help.

Let you know how the setup and first few rails and locos work tomorrow.

When you pick up the new downloadable copy try using the old serial number to activate it. If it works and I think it will you can pass the new serial number onto someone else.

Cheerio John

Hi, well Im not having much luck John. I cant seem to get any parts to download properly, I got the set up application to start, but the other parts,

Trainz Simulator 2010: EE - setup-1a
Trainz Simulator 2010: EE - setup-1b
Trainz Simulator 2010: EE - setup-2a
Trainz Simulator 2010: EE - setup-2b

I can only save them as a VLC file, or if I right click and save as, it just saves a Firefox icon. So, so far, havent managed to download any parts of Trainz 2010 apart from the setup file, it keeps asking for next disc or folder, but only firefox icons show in the folder I made in my documents, to save the data, but There is no data, just a firefox icon, which of course the setup application cant use.

Been away sorry, well the file sizes for the first 4 parts are 1.5gig
The last part Set up 2B is 1GiG

But If I try and save any of them its starts downloading to save as A Video File .VLC which opens to try and play a Video from said file, when I finished D/L the first part, namely setup 1A
Right clicking the link, only saves A Firefox icon, It dont include any data.

The extensions have .bin on the end of them, thats all I know.

Doh! well I just been into "my downloads" and looked up troubleshooting downloads. I found a page on the process, and wierd as it may seem, they do show the parts as A VLC file, GOD knows why a game application data should be associated with a video file is beyond my comprehension, But then, Auran always did have wierd ways of using extensions, even way back in 2004.

I go back and complete all 5 parts, about nearly 1hour and a half mind , and follow the instructions from the support page.

Cheers John

Ignore the VLC icon, the files are .bin files and as such are used by many programs for different purposes, can be audio, video, data, iso's made by burners in fact anything, the reason its coming up as VLC is because you selected the default file associations when installing VLC.
just click the download links and save as whatever comes up. It's a straight forward download, VLC will do, it's the .bin you need.

Edit:1 You need to save not open with.

Edit2: lot of complaints about VLC changing the file association for .bin by the way

Last edited:
Clam had to give this up for time being, I tried everything, Im down to only 3 downloads left on some of these files now.

I do save them, all to there own folder in my documents which i named Trainz 2010 download. That didnt work either, The setup said it cant find setup 1a in the folder, but they all there. So, i then dragged them all over to desktop and directed the setup to install them from desktop, that failed too, it wants a disc. I tried to burn all the files to a DVD-R then found 4.7gig space wasnt enough, so in the end closed it all down and sent in a ticket. Might as well have ordered the pysical DVD from Amazon uk in the first place, waste of £6

Assuming the files have the .bin extension, tried running the setup as administrator - right click run this program as administrator?

Back